Old Jan 03, 2005, 02:23 PM
starkville ms
Joined Nov 2004
11 Posts
missing screw... electronics

just started my tm 400 build, and i can't find the screw
that is used for the motor mount on the stick. is it
supposed to be supplied with the kit?

i'm also unsure on what receiver and esc i should get...
i'm plannin' on ordering a hitec optic 6 with hs55 servos...
but not sure on the receiver.

for the esc, i was going to go with the gws ics480.
with that said, is their a relationship between esc and
battery? i was leaning to the 3cell kokam 1500.
need a charger too. this hobby likes them benjamins!

appreciate any advice.
iam4msu is offline Find More Posts by iam4msu
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 03, 2005, 02:33 PM
Montreal Dorval, Canada
Joined Oct 2004
172 Posts
Just finished building my TM400 yesterday. For the motor mount, I used one of those very tiny screws that are also used for wing braces (don't know the exact word, plastic pieces that goes from one wing to another).

I actually drilled a hole like they said but the screw was too small for the recommended hole. I just screw next to that hole without drilling. Not that hard. Maybe I wasnt using the right screw myself... It works anyway.

I will be using Electron 6 receiver and HS-55 servos. I bought that as a flight pack (including ESC, HS55 ans switch harness) and I saved a little bit (110$ canadian for everything).

HS-55 servos fits perfectly in the fuselage and servo hole for ailerons.

Still unsure myself about which battery pack use. If I was to go with lipos, I'd buy Kokam 3s 1500. If I stick with NiMH, i'd go 8 cells 2/3 A or something with around 1150 mah...

I'm still a n00b so lipos are frightnening me a little. Won't have fun if that things damage in a crash and burn during the next charge !

.fs.
rubychild is offline Find More Posts by rubychild
Old Jan 03, 2005, 02:34 PM
Montreal Dorval, Canada
Joined Oct 2004
172 Posts
Oh and by the way, manual measures are sometimes a pain. Especially for the tail elevator, when you install hinges. If you follow their measures, 2 hinges out of 4 will be right on the metal pieces that holds both elevator together.

Just do your own measures with that one.

.fs.
rubychild is offline Find More Posts by rubychild
Old Jan 03, 2005, 03:30 PM
Destroyer of pieces/parts
Charleston Municipal, South Carolina, United States
Joined Mar 2004
60 Posts
More power???? It's almost ballistic with stock on 3s, I'm getting 100 foot stall turns and loops with 3s on a stock motor. If you wanted brushless so you wouldn't burn out a motor, I can see that.

Ever seen a Tiger Moth fly? It'll barely get a 300 foot per minute climb (on a good day).

If you think it needs more performance, check your CG. Should be right at the back of the cabane struts where they connect to the top wing.

Edit:

I just remembered one probable difference, I am using an APC 10x7 prop. The WOT amps are a bit high, but I never fly WOT.
Vampyre is offline Find More Posts by Vampyre
Last edited by Vampyre; Jan 03, 2005 at 07:16 PM.
Old Jan 03, 2005, 05:53 PM
Somerset
Joined Nov 2004
479 Posts
LOL SA10, do you work for these people or own the EBay shop? Appreciate the link though, will take a look.

Tom Frank, no I didn't require any clay or anything to complete the balance, once I've finished the frontend, the overweighted tail balanced out by fitting some larger wheels.

AwToo, really? so just a bigger prop will make that much difference? Excellent I'll give it a go, bit worried about ground clearance though, not sure if it'll scrape with that size prop fitted.

Finally, I have a QRP400 Turbo brushed motor, how would the bird fly with that? would it be much more powerful? Worth doing?
ashleyhall is offline Find More Posts by ashleyhall
Old Jan 04, 2005, 08:15 AM
United States, GA, Kennesaw
Joined Jul 2002
524 Posts
No hidden agenda here!

ROFLAO! No Ashley, I do not work for any hobby, or hobby supply company. Although there are many here who slant all there opinions to benefit there employer, I will not mention names or companies, some know who they are, as well as they're objective.

I do not own the Ebay shop.

I do however like to spread a news on a great product at a great price, should I have the luck to stumble upon and test. There are suppliers that are mentioned in every discussion that have extreme markups and unfair shipping cost and piss pour customer service ethic . E.powerjet is neither, and I have come to appreciate such business ethics, which, unfortunately, are quickly becoming a rarity in our country.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashleyhall
LOL SA10, do you work for these people or own the EBay shop? Appreciate the link though, will take a look.

Tom Frank, no I didn't require any clay or anything to complete the balance, once I've finished the frontend, the overweighted tail balanced out by fitting some larger wheels.

AwToo, really? so just a bigger prop will make that much difference? Excellent I'll give it a go, bit worried about ground clearance though, not sure if it'll scrape with that size prop fitted.

Finally, I have a QRP400 Turbo brushed motor, how would the bird fly with that? would it be much more powerful? Worth doing?
sa-10 is offline Find More Posts by sa-10
Old Jan 04, 2005, 10:24 AM
Somerset
Joined Nov 2004
479 Posts
No offence dude, wasn't having a serious dig, nice one for sharing the info, good products, just a shame he's in the USA, bit pricy to ship stuff to the UK for us poor folk
Old Jan 04, 2005, 12:08 PM
United States, GA, Kennesaw
Joined Jul 2002
524 Posts
No Ashley, I can dig. Its all good! Good news, not in U.S.A. I am not possible for shipping to be quicker to U.K., being that their countries infrastructure was built by the U.K. Nudge Nudge wink wink, no what I mean, now what I mean [Archaic Monty Python reference].

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashleyhall
No offence dude, wasn't having a serious dig, nice one for sharing the info, good products, just a shame he's in the USA, bit pricy to ship stuff to the UK for us poor folk
sa-10 is offline Find More Posts by sa-10
Old Jan 05, 2005, 06:23 AM
Somerset
Joined Nov 2004
479 Posts
Ahhh so the supplier is in the UK then?

Anyone any ideas about my QRP400 as a replacement for the Stock 400 GWS motor? would I see a major power increase?
Old Jan 05, 2005, 12:40 PM
Joined Dec 2004
85 Posts
Not sure what the best way to route the RX antenna is???

Also, how should I set the throw? Right now I have it set at the outer hole of the servo arms and the inner holes of the elevator and rudder. Basically it is set up for maximum throw right now, but I'm worried that might be a bit much.
mstrcntrlprgrm is offline Find More Posts by mstrcntrlprgrm
Last edited by mstrcntrlprgrm; Jan 05, 2005 at 12:47 PM.
Old Jan 05, 2005, 01:48 PM
Somerset
Joined Nov 2004
479 Posts
I personally always run the aerial straight out of the model at the soonest point, and suspend the aerial on the exterior of the model, to make sure I don't limit range at all.

As for throws, always set maximum throws on a model, and if you have them, use Dual Rates on your transmitter to reduce the movement, gives you more flexibility when moving forward your flying skills.
Old Jan 07, 2005, 05:31 AM
Joined May 2004
195 Posts
Flight

Here are a couple of slow stick flight pics. Also flew the estarter Sunday but did not take stills of it- took some video I will post when I figure out how.
Also, ran out of time and did not get the TM 400 up in the air. So when I can talk the wife into coming back out to the field to take some more pictures I will post them!
jlandis is offline Find More Posts by jlandis
Old Jan 07, 2005, 05:36 AM
Joined May 2004
195 Posts
Oops

Sorry- forgot to attach the pics...............
Old Jan 08, 2005, 01:30 PM
Hack of all trades...
Detroit, Michigan
Joined Oct 2004
371 Posts
TM400 performance concerns

I managed to get flights 2 & 3 this afternoon despite a fresh layer of new snow in SE Michigan. The plane is still intact so I consider that a minor victory. I do really love this plane.

My concern is that I feel like I'm struggling with a lack of power. I have it at full throttle all the time and it seems like I'm always fighting to keep and gain altitude. I'm running a stock setup with virtually no mods. Battery power is a lipo 1500 mah 2S (7.4v). Based on some of the earlier posts, I'm wondering if this is too little voltage on a 400 motor and if I need to move up to a 3s. Any input on this?

As long as I'm asking about power, does anyone have a killer brushless/lipo/esc combination they'd like to pass on? The only requirement is that the motor is a clean swap out with the current and will mount to the stick like the current motor. I believe Himax makes some popular motors like this, but I'm not sure which one and what gearing would be best.

I wish a good weekend to all.

Smooth
Smooth Spanky is offline Find More Posts by Smooth Spanky
Old Jan 08, 2005, 02:36 PM
Joined May 2004
195 Posts
Power

SS-
Go with the 3S lipo and you will be VERY pleased. That is what I use on mine and there is no lack of power.
I found in my esarter with a 400 motor the 2s lipo/ 7.2v was not enough so I swapped motors with my slowstick. Now I run a 350 D gear on my estarter with a variety of nihm batteries. Then I run the 400 on my slowstick with nothing less than and 8.4 volt but usually 9.6v nihm or one of my 3S lipo's. I plan on standardizing my fleet with 400 motors.
Except this kit of course-