HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 12, 2008, 09:52 PM
Go Navy!
USA, PA, Media
Joined Apr 2005
906 Posts
I didn't reinforce the front landing gear plastic mount thing... it pulled free on a slightly harder landing ( after getting beat on a lot). It will fly again, the glue is drying as I type.

I will have to tune this up after vacation. I am not happy with my mounting of the floats, they should be farther forward, I need to add some spray rails, and I think the cg of my plane is a bit off.

Still a lot of fun, but it could fly better.

Rick
maverick06 is offline Find More Posts by maverick06
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 13, 2008, 08:48 AM
Another 3DHS convert...
Newnan GA
Joined Mar 2006
726 Posts
Can someone tell me what size screws are used for the wing struts and the place where the wing connects to the fuselage? I believe I am missing some parts after I pulled the bird out again. Last, what size 3S Lipo is best for this bird? 1300mah?
Thanks.
jetboy11914 is offline Find More Posts by jetboy11914
Old Aug 13, 2008, 12:07 PM
Dance the skies...
United States, MA, Walpole
Joined Dec 2003
17,893 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetboy11914
Can someone tell me what size screws are used for the wing struts and the place where the wing connects to the fuselage? I believe I am missing some parts after I pulled the bird out again. Last, what size 3S Lipo is best for this bird? 1300mah?
Thanks.
The screws are tiny metric 1.4mm x 9mm... virtually impossible to find at any local store. You can get them from some online stores that sell GWS parts (e.g. www.caliberhobby.com or perhaps GWS USA if they are missing from your kit... they go by the name "cowling fixing screws". Or just get very small screws locally if you can... the size is not all that critical.

Yes, 1300 mAH 3S lipos are perfect for this bird... just make sure you hog out a little foam so they will slide in, including some at the fire wall for balance. I hog out my battery bay to within about 1/4 in. of the front of the fire wall.
Tom Frank is offline Find More Posts by Tom Frank
Old Aug 13, 2008, 01:16 PM
Another 3DHS convert...
Newnan GA
Joined Mar 2006
726 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Frank
The screws are tiny metric 1.4mm x 9mm... virtually impossible to find at any local store. You can get them from some online stores that sell GWS parts (e.g. www.caliberhobby.com or perhaps GWS USA if they are missing from your kit... they go by the name "cowling fixing screws". Or just get very small screws locally if you can... the size is not all that critical.

Yes, 1300 mAH 3S lipos are perfect for this bird... just make sure you hog out a little foam so they will slide in, including some at the fire wall for balance. I hog out my battery bay to within about 1/4 in. of the front of the fire wall.
What size is the one holding the wing to the fuse? It's alot bigger than those smaller ones.

Thanks for all the help.
jetboy11914 is offline Find More Posts by jetboy11914
Old Aug 13, 2008, 03:45 PM
California
Joined Dec 2005
1,121 Posts
Great build thread.
1toslope is offline Find More Posts by 1toslope
Old Aug 14, 2008, 08:25 PM
Joined Oct 2004
1,157 Posts
CG question

I know this has been posted 100 times.
Where is the best CG sweet spot and how do you best check it?
I have been putting this plane on the back burner off and on for a couple of years I tried to maiden it last saturday and right off the bat I knew it was tail heavy. ( Parking lot to grassy field) **WHEW** The wings are covered in green solite and the fuse is covered in red.
I went to look for the instructions but thought it a waste of time because they are probably wrong. Thanks in advance .....Fred
Crowfly is online now Find More Posts by Crowfly
Old Aug 14, 2008, 08:31 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Jul 2006
22,991 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crowfly
I know this has been posted 100 times.
Where is the best CG sweet spot and how do you best check it?
I have been putting this plane on the back burner off and on for a couple of years I tried to maiden it last saturday and right off the bat I knew it was tail heavy. ( Parking lot to grassy field) **WHEW** The wings are covered in green solite and the fuse is covered in red.
I went to look for the instructions but thought it a waste of time because they are probably wrong. Thanks in advance .....Fred
Tom Frank details it out in easy to understand instructions...

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...86&postcount=3

Chuck
NoFlyZone is offline Find More Posts by NoFlyZone
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Aug 14, 2008, 09:24 PM
Zzzt! Buzz! Click!
State of Confusion
Joined Jan 2004
1,616 Posts
Just put your fingers in the corner of the rear cabane strut.
squidbait is offline Find More Posts by squidbait
Old Aug 15, 2008, 07:42 AM
Joined Oct 2004
1,157 Posts
Thanks for the quick replies. I just checked it and it isn't tail heavy It balances perfect. The short distance I flew it sure felt that way. Maybe I was just too worried because I didn't really check it and didn't get my speed up. I don't know. I think I will add a little nose weight to be on the safe side and try again.
Crowfly is online now Find More Posts by Crowfly
Old Aug 15, 2008, 09:16 AM
Crossville, TN
Joined Dec 2004
2,907 Posts
It is better to balance slightly nose low. Look up "static margin" in aerodynamics. Planes have an aerodynamic center that is not the same as the CG. HTH.
Art Schmitz is offline Find More Posts by Art Schmitz
Old Aug 15, 2008, 12:49 PM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,893 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crowfly
Thanks for the quick replies. I just checked it and it isn't tail heavy It balances perfect. The short distance I flew it sure felt that way. Maybe I was just too worried because I didn't really check it and didn't get my speed up. I don't know. I think I will add a little nose weight to be on the safe side and try again.
Your control surface throws may be set too high for your level of comfort. If it balances at that rear cabane spot, it should fly beautifully. I even fly mine slightly aft of that when I slip in one of my slightly smaller lipo packs with no adverse effects. But I also have triple rates set up, and takeoff and land at very low throws. It can feel a bit over-reactive on high throws at low flight speeds (as do most planes).
Old Aug 15, 2008, 06:29 PM
scb28
Rocklin, CA
Joined Jan 2006
429 Posts
My experience with the Moth's cg is that it's pretty forgiving. I read somewhere that if you pick the plane up at the rear center of the top wing and it balances, its good. I did that and then flew it, with no ill effects that I could see. I have my control throws at the recommended amounts and use a small amount of expo, maybe 30%. The plane flies great.

My 2 cents, scb28
scb28 is offline Find More Posts by scb28
Old Aug 15, 2008, 06:57 PM
Doing it in the Lateral Axis
USA, OH, Akron
Joined Dec 2006
15,360 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Art Schmitz
It is better to balance slightly nose low. Look up "static margin" in aerodynamics. Planes have an aerodynamic center that is not the same as the CG. HTH.

wow..thats interesting..learn something new everyday here
modfly is offline Find More Posts by modfly
Old Aug 15, 2008, 07:16 PM
0.9g retracts
3" from insanity, 2' from the computer ,Richford, Tioga county, Southern Tier, New York, U.S., North American Continent, Northern hemisphere, Earth, The Sol System, Milkyway Galaxy, The Universe, The Current Dimension, Your Selected Realm of Reality.
Joined Dec 2006
1,946 Posts
hey guys, im back
ive got all the parts for a moth, except the moth its self. so is there any where that has a Tiger Moth 400 slope glider for under $47.50 shipped????????
thanks again YB
Yellow Baron is offline Find More Posts by Yellow Baron
Old Aug 15, 2008, 08:47 PM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,893 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow Baron
hey guys, im back
ive got all the parts for a moth, except the moth its self. so is there any where that has a Tiger Moth 400 slope glider for under $47.50 shipped????????
thanks again YB
Yep... bookmark this web store!

http://www.advantagehobby.com/cart.php

If you can afford to spend another $15, you'll save the $5 shipping cost... so $15 worth of extra stuff for $10!