HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 14, 2008, 05:07 PM
Singapore
Joined Nov 2004
102 Posts
Thanks for the kind word

The clow was homemade with 3/4 oz fiberglass and finishing epoxy. I used the original clow as plug, and lay the fiberglass over it.

It took me sometime to get it painted, but found it difficult to see in the air

By the way, I have covered the entire tigermoth with 3/4 oz fiberglass too. It has strengthen the overall foam structure.
loyn is offline Find More Posts by loyn
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 20, 2008, 09:45 PM
JMAC
Wenatchee, Washington
Joined Nov 2007
91 Posts
okay so im getting closer to ordering my tigermoth 400, however im trying to figure out what im going to need for it. what motor/esc/prop/battery do you guys suggest? i want to go brushless and im going to want a fair amount of power, i like the whole idea of only needing a few feet for a run way as far as batteries go right now i have a couple of 1300 mah lonng max 25c packs (yeah they probably arnt 25c) but im thinking about ordering a couple of the 2000 mah packs, i was thinking about ordering my stuff from hobby city but im open to all suggestions

thanks guys
Ketsueki is offline Find More Posts by Ketsueki
Old Feb 21, 2008, 12:00 AM
Dance the skies...
United States, MA, Walpole
Joined Dec 2003
17,558 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketsueki
okay so im getting closer to ordering my tigermoth 400, however im trying to figure out what im going to need for it. what motor/esc/prop/battery do you guys suggest? i want to go brushless and im going to want a fair amount of power, i like the whole idea of only needing a few feet for a run way as far as batteries go right now i have a couple of 1300 mah lonng max 25c packs (yeah they probably arnt 25c) but im thinking about ordering a couple of the 2000 mah packs, i was thinking about ordering my stuff from hobby city but im open to all suggestions

thanks guys
Since you're looking at Hobby City as source, Turnigy 2213-22 and 18A Turnigy ESC is what I have in mine with 1300 mAH 3S lipos spinning an APC 10x5E prop. A GWS 10x6DD is also a good prop, but I needed a tiny bit more weight up front so went with the heavier APC. I gouged out the battery bay so the pack could slide almost to the firewall for proper balance.

Power is better than scale, but not unlimited vertical if that is what you are desiring. You could go to the slightly hotter Turnigy 2213-20 or even one of the 2217 longer stator models if you desire more get up and go (with the 25A Turnigy Plush ESC). I get about 15+ minutes of flight time depending on flying style with a new healthy pack.
Tom Frank is offline Find More Posts by Tom Frank
Old Feb 21, 2008, 12:28 AM
If it floats....sail it!
Elk Grove, CA
Joined Sep 2002
4,129 Posts
I have an E-Flite 480 - 1020 Kv, however the Hobby City alternative KD A22 - 20L is pretty darn close to that motor, and is much cheaper.

My TM-400 on 3S1P - 2100's will take off within about 3 feet and go vertical after it gets up a little speed. It won't go vertical right out of my hand, but it will still go up very quickly until I lose sight of it, or I can run it at scale speed for ~12 minutes. That motor/pack is a little heavy so wing loading is a little on the high side. As a result it won't glide very well, but it will easily fly in up to 10 mph winds

I found I needed more than a 25A ESC since it is down inside all that foam and gets no cooling air, so it is de-rated as a result. With a 35A ESC I have not had any trouble with thermal shut down on a hot day, like I had with the 25A. This time a year it won't matter, but by midsummer it could be an issue depending upon your weather.

Do build it with individual aileron servos rather than one servo with those crappy torque rods that are sloppy and bind. With individual servos you can dial in aileron differential along with some aileron>rudder mix and you can tune it to carve rather than skid through turns.

FC
FoamCrusher is offline Find More Posts by FoamCrusher
Old Feb 21, 2008, 01:18 AM
JMAC
Wenatchee, Washington
Joined Nov 2007
91 Posts
how is the quality on the motors you guys are suggesting, i ordered a tower pro motor from them for my slowstick, and lets say a motor shaft change was a HUGE pain (allens didnt fit any of the screws had to buy a new flange and buy the correct screws) im hoping for better from these other brands, the KD A22- 20L is unfortunately out of stock, and im not sure if they will get any more in by the time my order will be placed so i guess ill have to go with turnigy, and as far as my selection, im not looking for speed, i want a slow flying plane, but i want to beable to deal with a fair amount of wind, im all for more power especially when its only a few $ more so would this motor and esc work?
http://www.unitedhobbies.com/UNITEDH...idProduct=5691
http://www.unitedhobbies.com/UNITEDH...idProduct=2163

also i was planning on using 4 hitec hs-55 servos from the get go, i was interested in testing spoilers my tx is a futaba 6exap, and ive never used any of its functions before, this will be a learning experience
Ketsueki is offline Find More Posts by Ketsueki
Old Feb 21, 2008, 05:14 AM
72" of flying, flying, flying
Sydney, Australia
Joined Nov 2006
2,098 Posts
You'll probably find the Allen Key needed was Metric.

I used a KDA20-20L when I bent the shaft on my Himark C2812-20, but soon went back to the Himark as the KDA20-20L running the same prop (APC 9x4.5E) just didn't have to pull.

With the Himark motor the TM400 doesn't have any problems doing Knife Edges and climbs like crazy. It still has reasonable slow speed performance, though with the 1800mA 3S its not as good as with a smaller battery.

I've got 10% rudder mix with the Aileron and it now turns nicely.
Aussie_Toyman is offline Find More Posts by Aussie_Toyman
Old Feb 21, 2008, 10:56 AM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,558 Posts
Quote:
how is the quality on the motors you guys are suggesting, i ordered a tower pro motor from them for my slowstick, and lets say a motor shaft change was a HUGE pain (allens didnt fit any of the screws had to buy a new flange and buy the correct screws) im hoping for better from these other brands, the KD A22- 20L is unfortunately out of stock, and im not sure if they will get any more in by the time my order will be placed so i guess ill have to go with turnigy, and as far as my selection, im not looking for speed, i want a slow flying plane, but i want to beable to deal with a fair amount of wind, im all for more power especially when its only a few $ more so would this motor and esc work?
http://www.unitedhobbies.com/UNITEDH...idProduct=5691
http://www.unitedhobbies.com/UNITEDH...idProduct=2163

also i was planning on using 4 hitec hs-55 servos from the get go, i was interested in testing spoilers my tx is a futaba 6exap, and ive never used any of its functions before, this will be a learning experience
That motor combo will work fine. The motor is about 1/2 oz. heavier, but if you want better wind penetration, the extra weight will help and will be easier to balance without having to gouge out foam to move the pack forward. Dr. Kiwi just tested that motor and posted results in a thread in the Power forum... you may want to look there. The motor performs almost identically to the shorter Hyperion 2213-24, which I have, and I know that motor would do very well in the TM400 with a GWS 10x6DD prop (producing just under 28 oz. of thrust at WOT). The Hyperion weighs about 1/2 oz. less, but costs about twice as much!

As an aside, I've found the Futaba 3114 servos to be superior to the HS-55s... smaller, lighter, 20% more torque and 10% more speed for the same price. But Hobby City doesn't carry them...
Old Feb 21, 2008, 08:37 PM
"Free crash instruction"
long island N.Y.
Joined Jan 2004
1,671 Posts
The time you spent tricking it to scale has really payed off ."The Best looking" scale moth yet .The wheels might be alittle heavy but like the real deal Man ! 'Nice Work Loyn" I might have to post another video of how agile and ballsy my moth can fly with the set up I recomend-400 outrunner ,3s1p 1320 on a 10x7 apc sf prop.If that cant make ya happy you don't need this plane.It's crawls in for landing and has unlimited vertical at a good clip.I can 3D but with diheidral it's alittle harder but can be done
Cr@sh is offline Find More Posts by Cr@sh
Last edited by Cr@sh; Feb 25, 2008 at 01:34 AM.
Old Feb 24, 2008, 03:12 PM
scb28
Rocklin, CA
Joined Jan 2006
427 Posts
Short Story w/ Bad Ending (with some pics)

It's all you guys fault. Because....I've had my Moth for quite some time but haven't been flying it much lately. So the weather's been not too great for a week or so and I've been killing time reading forum posts. I came across this thread and was impressed with the planes that all of you had put together. It got me thinking I should pull the old Moth out and fly it. Well yesterday morning was the time. We were in between storms so I thought I'd get a little stick time at the school next door. The school has a nice grass field that's right next to a 3 story gym. Good place to fly, except you have to stay away from the gym. Long story short, a little more breeze than I thought and I completed a roll too close to the gym. I barely made it over the gym but the Moth hit the roof. For a second I though the plane would be stuck on the roof, which, in hind sight, probably would have been better than what happened. The Moth bounced off the roof and broke the prop, so no power. Then it went straight down. Hit nose first in a dirt planting area and....well the pics say it all. Broken upper wing, cracked lower wing, broken gearbox, etc., etc., etc. I think I can repair it pretty easily, but it's still a downer. It was a pretty neat looking plane, if I do say so myself.

Here's pics of the carnage. I'll post pics of the repaired Moth. I'm going out to start on it now. BTW, anybody know a good place to get a new cowl?

scb28
scb28 is offline Find More Posts by scb28
Old Feb 24, 2008, 03:22 PM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,558 Posts
Looks like an easy repair, but that upper wing might benefit from a spar across the break area... I routinely install a CF spar on the underside of my Moth top wing during the initial build.

Cowls at Caliberhobby.com... $2.50, and Epyaya.com... $4.0o. Shipping extra.
Old Feb 24, 2008, 03:45 PM
scb28
Rocklin, CA
Joined Jan 2006
427 Posts
Thanks Tom.

I was thinking about a spar for the top wing repair.

scb28
Old Feb 24, 2008, 04:47 PM
United States, CA, Rocklin
Joined Jan 2006
1,102 Posts
Rocklin My old home town! Still have my home there.
Sorry 'bout your TM. Sure looks good. You'll have it fixed in no time!

gofish
gofish is offline Find More Posts by gofish
Old Feb 24, 2008, 07:51 PM
scb28
Rocklin, CA
Joined Jan 2006
427 Posts
gofish,

How long has it been since you've lived here? If it's been a while, things have sure changed...read gotten much bigger. I've made alot of progress on the Moth, should have it going in a day or two.

scb28
Old Feb 25, 2008, 10:27 PM
Joined May 2007
64 Posts
Quote:

thanks guys
I've been flying my TM 400 for about 5 months now. I'm no acrobatic pilot, yet. I'm using the KDA 2020 from Hobby City with the programmable Tower Pro Mag 8 20Amp programmable ESC (I recommend the $4 programming box).
The packs are Loong Max 3s 1300s. And--I'm ashamed to admit it, I have flown the plane since the maiden on 3 of the Hobby city 9gr servos at $3.34 a piece. (I buy them by the 10 pack when they have them. I even buy the rebuild kits for a buck). The props are GWS DD 1060s.

I am thinking about trying the Turnigys mentioned by Tom Frank above as Hobby City goes out of stock on things often.

Will the 2000s fit in the battery compartment, if, of course, you are using the forward cockpit for the battery compartment?
David Feldman is offline Find More Posts by David Feldman
Old Feb 26, 2008, 08:06 AM
V=IR
Virginia Beach, VA
Joined May 2005
790 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Feldman
<snip>The packs are Loong Max 3s 1300s. <snip>
David, what are the EXACT measurements of these packs? I know what they state on the site, but what they say and what they really are is usually different (for the Thunder Power 3S 1320s, they are different anyway). Can you measure yours as close as you can and let me know? I would like to use some of these packs but I am unsure if they will fit in my TM400 - I gouged out the compartmet to fit the TP 1320s.

Matt
mcsarge is offline Find More Posts by mcsarge