HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 12, 2008, 11:15 PM
JMAC
Wenatchee, Washington
Joined Nov 2007
91 Posts
i am a newbie, and i was thinking about getting a tiger moth 400 as a second plane, however i was curious about how much space you would need to fly one of these, i usually fly in a soccer field sized area, and i was just curious if this would be big enough to safely fly such a plane. i fly my slow stick in this space with no problems, however i realize the slowstick isnt a 'normal' plane with its huge wing area and little weight, also how much space is needed for take off and landings?

if i was going to get this plane i would pickup a brushless setup and run on 3s lipos (is a 1300 mah battery to big?)

thanks guys
Ketsueki is offline Find More Posts by Ketsueki
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 12, 2008, 11:45 PM
Zzzt! Buzz! Click!
State of Confusion
Joined Jan 2004
1,616 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketsueki
i am a newbie, and i was thinking about getting a tiger moth 400 as a second plane, however i was curious about how much space you would need to fly one of these, i usually fly in a soccer field sized area, and i was just curious if this would be big enough to safely fly such a plane. i fly my slow stick in this space with no problems, however i realize the slowstick isnt a 'normal' plane with its huge wing area and little weight, also how much space is needed for take off and landings?

if i was going to get this plane i would pickup a brushless setup and run on 3s lipos (is a 1300 mah battery to big?)

thanks guys
This would make a great second plane - it was mine after an Aerobird Challenger.

You don't need to go brushless right off the bat. A 3s lipo will give you lots of zip on the stock motor and prop. Unless you're planning on going with the slope-glider kit, then go for it. I'd suggest getting a geared inrunner, for the sound more than anything. A nice growly gearbox makes this plane sound more like the real thing.
squidbait is offline Find More Posts by squidbait
Old Feb 12, 2008, 11:51 PM
If it floats....sail it!
Elk Grove, CA
Joined Sep 2002
4,176 Posts
Quote:
... i was curious about how much space you would need to fly one of these, i usually fly in a soccer field sized area, and i was just curious if this would be big enough to safely fly such a plane. .....(is a 1300 mah battery to big?)
Ketsueki:

Welcome to the addition

A soccer size field should be plenty large enough. Things happen much faster with the TM-400 than a SlowStick, but not so fast as to be too much of a challenge.

The area where I fly is about 1200 ft x 2400 ft but I rarely have the TM more than 300 ft away and most of the time under 150 ft. I judge this by using an Eagle Tree V-Logger with an altimeter attachment and find that it gets so far away that I cannot see it if it is more than 700 ft above me and I don't get it near that far away horizontally.

The size battery pack you need is determined by how much current your motor/prop combination draws and the quality of the cells. Some cells are only good for 8C (8 x 1.3A = 10 A) while others are good for 20C or (20 x 1.3A = 26A). Use some sort of current measuring and confirm what your system is asking for on the bench and you will know you are safe in the air.

I am using an E-Flight 480 (1020 Kv) with a 10 x 6 prop and 15C rated 3S1P 2100 mAh packs. That power package is easily within the pack rating and the difference between a 1300 and a 2100 is not that great because of the thrust ability of the motor.

The plane is tail heavy because of the short nose and expected 350 brushed motor (that's why they include a stick of clay in the box) so you might as well use a larger pack and haul duration rather than dead weight. The plane carries the extra weight just fine since it is not a "floater" anyway. I would say that unless it is under power its glide ratio stinks, but that is common for biplanes.

Mine flys even in 12+ mph winds and has become one of my favorite planes.

FC
FoamCrusher is online now Find More Posts by FoamCrusher
Old Feb 13, 2008, 12:13 AM
JMAC
Wenatchee, Washington
Joined Nov 2007
91 Posts
yeah i was thinking of going with the slope kit and picking up a decent brushless setup, i always like to have more power than i need, even though im light on the throttle, its always nice to be over kill than underkill

interesting about the batteries, i didnt realize when i bought the 1300 batteries id have to mount them right on the nose, then move my wing back for my SS to balance properly, i think its about time i ordered a couple 2100 packs any way and as far as the discharge rate my packs are the 25C lonng max packs from hobby city, i doubt they are really 25c but they should be within whatever a decent out runner motor that can spin a 10 or 11 inch prop with a slow pitch

im really thinking that the tiger moth 400 is the plane im going to start saving my money for, i love my slowstick, but i know im going to want another plane after a bit, and i thought id start researching aileron planes, i didnt really want a high wing plane, so i thought a biplane would be a good second plane, and i think biplanes are rather attractive, compared to high wing air craft

i was also considering a formosa as a 3rd plane, but i wanted to make sure id beable to handle the speed first, thanks for the input guys
Ketsueki is offline Find More Posts by Ketsueki
Last edited by Ketsueki; Feb 13, 2008 at 12:39 AM.
Old Feb 13, 2008, 12:25 AM
Zzzt! Buzz! Click!
State of Confusion
Joined Jan 2004
1,616 Posts
FoamCrusher,

Are you trying to 3D your TM400, or what??? That motor is waaaay overkill for this little plane!

I should have mentioned that the TM flies very nicely in a soccer-field baseball-diamond-outfield sort of space.

You've got about twice the watts this little puppy needs to fly!

I should have mentioned that I flew my TM400 on a double soccer field for years - it was lots of space.
squidbait is offline Find More Posts by squidbait
Old Feb 13, 2008, 01:07 AM
Dance the skies...
United States, MA, Walpole
Joined Dec 2003
17,893 Posts
Quote:
yeah i was thinking of going with the slope kit and picking up a decent brushless setup, i always like to have more power than i need, even though im light on the throttle, its always nice to be over kill than underkill

interesting about the batteries, i didnt realize when i bought the 1300 batteries id have to mount them right on the nose, then move my wing back for my SS to balance properly, i think its about time i ordered a couple 2100 packs any way and as far as the discharge rate my packs are the 25C lonng max packs from hobby city, i doubt they are really 25c but they should be within whatever a decent out runner motor that can spin a 10 or 11 inch prop with a slow pitch

im really thinking that the tiger moth 400 is the plane im going to start saving my money for, i love my slowstick, but i know im going to want another plane after a bit, and i thought id start researching aileron planes, i didnt really want a high wing plane, so i thought a biplane would be a good second plane, and i think biplanes are rather attractive, compared to high wing air craft

i was also considering a formosa as a 3rd plane, but i wanted to make sure id beable to handle the speed first, thanks for the input guys
I fly my TM400 with 1300 mAH 3S lipos and a "400 class" outrunner. Mine flies very slow, yet has much more than stock vertical, and flies for about 15+ minutes. I hogged out the battery bay slot foam so the pack slides up almost to the firewall and it balances perfectly (at the front edge of the rear cabane strut). I build light, and mine will glide in great with no stalling tendencies. And it's fairly aerobatic. In case you passed over it, I included a link to the maiden flight video back in Post 792. Most of that flying is within the confines of a football field size sand playfield.
Tom Frank is offline Find More Posts by Tom Frank
Last edited by Tom Frank; Feb 13, 2008 at 01:46 AM.
Old Feb 13, 2008, 01:34 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Jul 2006
22,991 Posts
I'll echo Tom's sentiments and appraisal of the Tiger Moth 400 on 400 class motor and 3s Li-Po's of around 1200-1500 mAH

Absolute dream to fly, if you build it LIGHT!!!

No bad traits, and looks awesome in the air...

Chuck
NoFlyZone is offline Find More Posts by NoFlyZone
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Feb 13, 2008, 01:59 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Jul 2006
22,991 Posts
Hi Tom,

I don't know what I like better, the flight of your Tiger Moth, or the running commentary of those precious little girls... LOL

Great video!

Chuck
NoFlyZone is offline Find More Posts by NoFlyZone
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Feb 13, 2008, 03:49 AM
Joined Sep 2004
2,744 Posts
I agree

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoFlyZone
Hi Tom,

I don't know what I like better, the flight of your Tiger Moth, or the running commentary of those precious little girls... LOL

Great video!

Chuck
When you first posted that video, I went past it for two reasons; shortage of time is ALWAYS a situation, AND I have lots of trouble viewing these videos, so I just didn't feel like trying to "PULL" the video to me.... like so often I've gotta negotiate a lot and it's wearisome.

But when Chuck comments about the "precious little girls", my curiosity was piqued, so I went for it..... and THIS video gave me no problem [I'm assuming I saw the end; she says something about one minute to go and you're still flying when the video ends? or should we have seen it land?

Anyways I watched it beginning to end, and was not disappointed. Well, those little girls ARE cute [mostly voices of course] but there was an obvious air of well behaved little children, playing and having peaceful fun... it MADE MY DAY................... there are SO many kids that scrap/quarrel in their play, and it was just the opposite here........... HEY, is it most ALWAYS like that? Wow.

Running out of words, it was a joy to watch and listen; ya didn't need a musical background; the little girls chit chat did it all.

thanks for posting; and buy that little photographer a TREAT for Valentines Day; she EARNED it, ha; it WAS a long time for her to stay attentive.

Not to mention the gorgeous scenery, AND the gorgeous flying field; phewwwww, you've got it made.

LarryR : )
LareeRudee is offline Find More Posts by LareeRudee
Old Feb 13, 2008, 12:53 PM
Dance the skies...
United States, MA, Walpole
Joined Dec 2003
17,893 Posts
Chuck and LarryR,

Thanks for the kind words on the (very long!) video. It's from my personal web page archive and I didn't edit it for easier viewing here. The video does go all the way to the landing. I just played it to see, and it played all the way through for me.

My daughter does all my maiden flight ground videos... she's MUCH better than my wife in keeping the plane in the picture! I'll be sure to pass on your accolades.

Since I'm concentrating on flying, I don't hear all her commentary until I view the video later, and I agree that's often a lot more interesting than my flying!

FWIW, here's a link to a new web page I'm slowly building. There's a few more of these ground video's there that I keep for viewing when I need a lift!. One of my favorites called "YAK 55 Antics" is a couple years old, and it's where my daughter got a glimpse of a 3D prop hover that she kept calling a "Hang Glide" manuever in the video you just watched. It also ends with a nice nose dig... always good for a chuckle long after the fact.
Tom Frank is offline Find More Posts by Tom Frank
Old Feb 13, 2008, 10:11 PM
"Free crash instruction"
long island N.Y.
Joined Jan 2004
1,706 Posts
Light is the way to go but has a number of ways for setups.10x7 apc sf prop works well with most setups.GWS prop work well but break easy.Efights 380 or 400 outrunners are Quiet and give cool verticals untill you cant see it no more,with no heat or amp issues.Geared I found worked well with a cobri gearbox since we all have misshaps.There pretty durable.I've used a 3s 900 to a 1320 with some long flight times .The 3s 1320 was my favorite getting two nice 10 to 12 min flights hot dogin it. I own "LOTS" of planes,jets,helis ect.....In my book ,this plane has got to be the most enjoyable,reliable plane I bang around and always comes home in one peice,wish I could say the same for my expencive ones .it's one of my first planes and years later i'm still beating on it while others are long gone and buried.Geared like whats said has a cool sound and you'll always know your rpm ,as with outrunners I only here the takeoff I truely had one land by itself, when I was laughing at a buddy who went inverted for the first time with a slow stick,he was running after it about 3 feet from the ground saying,how do I land it .I couldn't stop laughing untill I realized ,wheres my plane I hit the motor and it was about 30 yards behind me right side up .Looked it over and she went right back up. bye the way ,my 8yo girl maidend her first flight on the Tigermoth and she now 11.Planes still here !
Cr@sh is offline Find More Posts by Cr@sh
Last edited by Cr@sh; Feb 13, 2008 at 10:17 PM.
Old Feb 13, 2008, 11:42 PM
If it floats....sail it!
Elk Grove, CA
Joined Sep 2002
4,176 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by squidbait
Are you trying to 3D your TM400, or what??? That motor is waaaay overkill for this little plane! You've got about twice the watts this little puppy needs to fly!
No 3D, but I do love the power. With a little head start it will go almost vertical (~80 degrees) until it specs out and it will fly in up to 15 mph winds without any problem. Even with the larger and heavier foam wheels (not that big!) it still takes off from a standing start and is in the air within 3 feet.

I had the motor from another plane and have standardized on two pack sizes; 3S1P 2100's and 3S1P 1320's. If the plane won't fly with one of the two sizes of packs, either alone or twinned to increase the current ability, then I don't buy it. The larger pack mated with this motor very well. Light might be the way to build for some of you, however this area of country is windy just about all spring and summer, so my light planes sit in the hanger while the heavier and more powerful ones, like the TM-400, are flown every weekend.

If you are blessed with calm to light winds I would not suggest this power package, but it works for me and the conditions where I fly.

FC
FoamCrusher is online now Find More Posts by FoamCrusher
Old Feb 13, 2008, 11:50 PM
Joined Sep 2004
2,744 Posts
Should remain "UN-edited"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Frank
Chuck and LarryR,

Thanks for the kind words on the (very long!) video. It's from my personal web page archive and I didn't edit it for easier viewing here. The video does go all the way to the landing. I just played it to see, and it played all the way through for me. ....
I wouldn't have wanted to miss ONE word......... 'twas VALUABLE content in that video..... says a LOT.

LarryR : )
LareeRudee is offline Find More Posts by LareeRudee
Old Feb 14, 2008, 08:45 AM
Singapore
Joined Nov 2004
102 Posts
would like to share my GWS 400 tigermoth

Have put in a number of modifications to it which include a DIY fiberglass clowing
loyn is offline Find More Posts by loyn
Old Feb 14, 2008, 09:13 AM
Account closed
Joined Oct 2002
35,016 Posts
Loyn,

That a great looking TM400 you have there!

Where did you get the Cowl?

Super Paint job, looks like the Larger Pacific Aeromodels 30 Size Tiger Moth!!!
guapoman2000 is offline Find More Posts by guapoman2000