HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 28, 2007, 09:06 PM
Member 120mph Club
New Bern, North Carolina, United States
Joined Oct 2004
12,445 Posts
cr@sh,

It has the power, but the roll authority sucked... but now with 4 aelirons and a longer servo arm she is awesome... flys like the old "barn storming" movies you see on the history channel... and she still slows down to a crawl for lazy relaxing flying if I want her to... man I love this plane.

ATIS
ATIS is offline Find More Posts by ATIS
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: maxford Nieuport 1/5th Scale
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 29, 2007, 02:58 PM
Watts Rule, Glows Drool
orlando, FL
Joined Mar 2003
3,197 Posts
got my TM400 back on floats today and even took some on-board video. The CG was off with the camera and floats mounted so the takeoff was scary, but it landed nicelly

the video is here:
http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...87562334616421

and here are some stills taken from the video
dogon1013 is offline Find More Posts by dogon1013
Old Jul 30, 2007, 06:00 AM
Joined May 2007
64 Posts
Can I expect any interference from the elevator and rudder servos if I mount the receiver immediately behind them, between the control rods? My receiver is top pinned and there is a square cutout in the foam the perfect size to slip the receiver in end down.

Thanks in advance.
David Feldman is offline Find More Posts by David Feldman
Old Jul 30, 2007, 06:26 AM
Joined May 2007
64 Posts
Thanks Sympster and Tom. Wings seem to be aligned. TM will maiden this weekend so we will find out.

Tom--the T-34 flew again this past weekend. All of the parts were in relatively close formation. Plane seemed to shy away from the stadium all by itself.
Old Jul 30, 2007, 12:54 PM
Dance the skies...
United States, MA, Walpole
Joined Dec 2003
17,571 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Feldman
Thanks Sympster and Tom. Wings seem to be aligned. TM will maiden this weekend so we will find out.

Tom--the T-34 flew again this past weekend. All of the parts were in relatively close formation. Plane seemed to shy away from the stadium all by itself.
Hi Dave... I was wondering if you were the same Dave I flew with in Annapolis a couple weeks ago. Glad you got the T-34 in working order again (yeah... hard over on the turn when it's heading for the stadium:-). Good luck with the TM400 maiden!
Tom Frank is online now Find More Posts by Tom Frank
Old Jul 30, 2007, 12:57 PM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,571 Posts
Quote:
Can I expect any interference from the elevator and rudder servos if I mount the receiver immediately behind them, between the control rods? My receiver is top pinned and there is a square cutout in the foam the perfect size to slip the receiver in end down.

Thanks in advance.
Dave, I have a couple planes with the RX next to or even Velcroed on top of two servos! I use only berg RXs, though, so that might make a difference. Do a bench test before flying to make sure there's no glitching from servo activity.
Old Jul 30, 2007, 02:59 PM
Doing it in the Lateral Axis
USA, OH, Akron
Joined Dec 2006
15,360 Posts
yea..I heard the bergs were good to..but the newer Berg 4L I installed in my Zero let me down at about ~1200' 1500'..I have now repaired and installed a DX-6 like I normally do....The Berg will be assigned "cub" duty from now on..
modfly is offline Find More Posts by modfly
Old Aug 03, 2007, 08:17 PM
Joined May 2007
64 Posts
Tiger Moth maidens tomorrow. She seems to be a bit tail heavy. I put a 12" dowel in the rear elbows of the cabane and held it on my finger tips. The tail drooped down about an inch. I rested the entire stick of clay on top of the front of the cowl and it brought the tail right up to level. I want to put the clay inside the cowl.What is the best way to secure the clay in the cowl? Wouldn't want it rattlin' around in there.

Thanks in advance.
Old Aug 03, 2007, 08:35 PM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,571 Posts
Quote:
Tiger Moth maidens tomorrow. She seems to be a bit tail heavy. I put a 12" dowel in the rear elbows of the cabane and held it on my finger tips. The tail drooped down about an inch. I rested the entire stick of clay on top of the front of the cowl and it brought the tail right up to level. I want to put the clay inside the cowl.What is the best way to secure the clay in the cowl? Wouldn't want it rattlin' around in there.

Thanks in advance.
Hi Dave,

I fly mine slightly tail heavy when measured from that point, and it is still very well behaved. I can't imagine you would need a whole stick of clay. If you can't move your battery pack a little further forward, then wrap some clay around the motor stick before you put the cowl on. I also use an APC 10x5E prop on mine... it's very beefy in the hub area, but the weight that far forward is a benefit in this case... the prop performs almost identical to a GWS 10x6DD prop.

Good luck on the maiden!
Old Aug 03, 2007, 09:00 PM
Canadian Bacon
Kingston, Canada
Joined Jun 2004
12,752 Posts
I found it nose heavy as did Tom. I would put the clay in somehow temporarily. Stick it around the motor stick or something. Fly it. Take half of it out Fly again. I'm sure you'll find It'll be fine without it. You'll find the controls get a little more sensitive or less sluggish depending on how you look at it.
flypaper 2 is online now Find More Posts by flypaper 2
Old Aug 03, 2007, 09:50 PM
Joined May 2007
64 Posts
Thanks. I wrapped a snake of clay around the motor stick. Looks like an outrunner in a racoon coat. I guess I'll find out tomorrow how quickly I can put down elevator trim in. The remaining clay is in my tool box. Building her certainly was fun.
Old Dec 03, 2007, 05:12 PM
Aloft Hobbies
United States, CA, Novato
Joined Sep 2003
5,669 Posts
Picked up one of the TM400 kits for around $20 from Caliber's closeout sale. I built it up on Saturday and flew it on Sunday. I used a $6 outrunner from United and am very happy with the results.

I hogged out the battery compartment before gluing the fuse together, but wouldn't you know it, my Sumo glued foamed up a bit into the compartment! So I could not push my 1300 3S pack in as far as I would like for a good CG. I had to add a couple of nickels to the bottom of the plane for an "OK" CG.

Ran up the motor a bit and she was off into the wild blue yonder. What a sweet flier. I expected it to need a bit more distance, but she just floated off as nice as could be.

But all is not great. I do have what I think is a mild tip stall issue at low speeds. She just rolls off to one side or the other, and it is slow to recover. The large throws I have on the ailerons probably helps keep it in a stalled condition. I added some more nose weight (I was in the aft CG position) and it seems to have gotten much better, I also am flying more on the rudder while down low.

Anyone else run into this stalling issue?

Thanks,
-Wayne
Rotozuk is offline Find More Posts by Rotozuk
Site Sponsor
Latest blog entry: Taranis Front Shell Swap
Old Dec 03, 2007, 05:40 PM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,571 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rotozuk
Picked up one of the TM400 kits for around $20 from Caliber's closeout sale. I built it up on Saturday and flew it on Sunday. I used a $6 outrunner from United and am very happy with the results.

I hogged out the battery compartment before gluing the fuse together, but wouldn't you know it, my Sumo glued foamed up a bit into the compartment! So I could not push my 1300 3S pack in as far as I would like for a good CG. I had to add a couple of nickels to the bottom of the plane for an "OK" CG.

Ran up the motor a bit and she was off into the wild blue yonder. What a sweet flier. I expected it to need a bit more distance, but she just floated off as nice as could be.

But all is not great. I do have what I think is a mild tip stall issue at low speeds. She just rolls off to one side or the other, and it is slow to recover. The large throws I have on the ailerons probably helps keep it in a stalled condition. I added some more nose weight (I was in the aft CG position) and it seems to have gotten much better, I also am flying more on the rudder while down low.

Anyone else run into this stalling issue?

Thanks,
-Wayne
Interesting! My TM400 has been the one GWS plane that does NOT have any bad stalling tendencies, but I land on low throws with very little aileron movement.

Also, Sumo glue can be removed with a rasp or very coarse sandpaper on a stick. I balance mine with my fingers inside the cabane struts and slid back until they touch the inside of the rear vertical strut portion. The front of my 1300 mAH pack is then about 3/4 to 1/2 in. aft of the front of the firewall. Flies perfectly there with no dead weight needed for balance.
Old Dec 03, 2007, 05:53 PM
Aloft Hobbies
United States, CA, Novato
Joined Sep 2003
5,669 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Frank
Interesting! My TM400 has been the one GWS plane that does NOT have any bad stalling tendencies, but I land on low throws with very little aileron movement.

Also, Sumo glue can be removed with a rasp or very coarse sandpaper on a stick. I balance mine with my fingers inside the cabane struts and slid back until they touch the inside of the rear vertical strut portion. The front of my 1300 mAH pack is then about 3/4 to 1/2 in. aft of the front of the firewall. Flies perfectly there with no dead weight needed for balance.

My balance point right now is just behind the cabane struts, so about 1/4" back from your position. Sounds like a bit more nose weight should do the trick. It did get much better after adding some nose weight. Not to mention that the plane needed no down elevator while inverted!

I was able to get the flex wand of my dremel into the battery compartment to grind out some of the glue, but could not reach all of it. I'll see about pulling the motor off and going in from the firewall side. Make some special tools as needed. (I hate adding dead weight.) Would also be nice to slip my light weight 1800 batteries in there, but currently the glue makes the length of the 1800 become more tail weight. Could probably fly 30-40 minutes on the 1800 pack.

Thanks!
Rotozuk is offline Find More Posts by Rotozuk
Site Sponsor
Latest blog entry: Taranis Front Shell Swap
Old Dec 03, 2007, 06:03 PM
Canadian Bacon
Kingston, Canada
Joined Jun 2004
12,752 Posts
First flew mine on a 1320 batt. and wanted to install a 2100 so I cut it out bigger with a hacksaw blade through the cockpit area. If you do get it too slow it will dump a wing, but that's only because it's to slow. It's a fine point with this plane as it gives you no warning. I just land a little faster than expected. Fun plane. Fly it slow and lazy, or crank the sh## out of it, it likes it both ways. Mine would only flatspin inverted.

Gord.
flypaper 2 is online now Find More Posts by flypaper 2