HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 03, 2004, 12:58 PM
Joined May 2004
195 Posts
Esc

Smooth Spanky-
I am using the castle creations pixie 20P. It does have a continuous amp draw capability of 20 amps. This would be the amps drawn by the motor/propbattery combo you choose. I am using the stock motor and prop (400-D gearing with a EP 1060 prop. the amp drw from this prop/motor combo should max out at 10.8 amps with my 3s1p 1500mah lipo. As found
here
I chose the pixie 20 because I wanted a programable esc for my lipos.

Your GWS 400 esc is rated to handle 15 amps continuous and 25 amp bursts which should be fine using the stock motor and prop. The info is found here:
If you look on the GWS site, you will see the GWS-300 ESC is only rated for 8 amps continuous and 15 amp bursts which is cutting it close depending on the battery you use. See the info here:
Stick with the 400 esc.
I replace all of the connectors with Deans Ultra connectors. Adds some weight but they are great connectors. I would not solder your esc directly to the motor as the wires end up being a little short to fish through the front of the fuselage.
jlandis is offline Find More Posts by jlandis
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 03, 2004, 01:02 PM
Joined May 2004
195 Posts
Glue the struts?

Anyone out there know whether to glue the center struts to the top wing?
Old Dec 03, 2004, 02:56 PM
Hack of all trades...
Detroit, Michigan
Joined Oct 2004
371 Posts
jlandis:
Thanks for the help on the ESC info. I figured there had to be these spec's available somewhere, I just didn't know where to look. Keep the build thread coming!

Smooth Spanky
Smooth Spanky is offline Find More Posts by Smooth Spanky
Old Dec 03, 2004, 06:30 PM
College Park, MD
Joined Sep 2002
4,714 Posts
Definitely glue the center struts to the upper wing. How would they provide support otherwise?
thunder1 is online now Find More Posts by thunder1
Old Dec 04, 2004, 04:14 PM
Joined May 2004
195 Posts
Magic?

Magic perhaps?
I assumed that was the case- gluing and all. But the instructions are pretty shady in that regard.
Old Dec 06, 2004, 10:52 AM
Hack of all trades...
Detroit, Michigan
Joined Oct 2004
371 Posts
Another TM400 Build Question

Jlandis, thanks for the tip on reinforcing the aileron and elevator where the control rods go in - great idea.

I'm still pretty early in my TM400 build and have a question regarding the attachment of the elevator to the horizontal stabilizer. The instructions do not indicate that a beveled edge should be applied to either surface (left side of drawing). I'm used to creating mating surfaces like the right hand part of the drawing. I'm concerned that if I have a very small gap for the elevator hinge, that there won't be clearance for the elevator to pivot without a bevel. Any advice?
Old Dec 06, 2004, 05:10 PM
United States, GA, Kennesaw
Joined Jul 2002
524 Posts
Que the guru!

Where are they? the suspense is killing us!
sa-10 is offline Find More Posts by sa-10
Old Dec 07, 2004, 08:38 AM
Linux addict
S. Jersey, US, the 51 state
Joined Oct 2004
289 Posts
Definately bevel
Ekim is offline Find More Posts by Ekim
Old Dec 07, 2004, 09:15 AM
Glue can fix that.
Sunny Miami
Joined May 2004
1,192 Posts
jlandis,
make sure you do a dry test of the CG before you get too far. Just tape everything close the intended locations.
Those tail servos should be enough at moderate speeds, but if they seem weak you may have to move the ez connectors in a hole or two on the servo arms. That way you put less stress on them--they have to move more, but it is a gear ratio thing that makes them more efficient.
is that clear?
Brutus is offline Find More Posts by Brutus
Old Dec 07, 2004, 02:21 PM
Joined May 2004
195 Posts
Thanks

Brutus- thanks that does make sense.
Spanky- I did not bevel mine much and they move just fine. The wire used to connect the two halves of the elevator result in a small gap between the elevator and horizontal stabilizer. This is sufficient to allow clearance for movement.
Old Dec 07, 2004, 04:54 PM
Hack of all trades...
Detroit, Michigan
Joined Oct 2004
371 Posts
jlandis:
Thanks for the advice. Any more pictures coming? How long before the maiden flight?

Smooth
Old Dec 07, 2004, 11:20 PM
Joined May 2004
195 Posts
Bad weather

I have the plane mostly completed. Have trial fitted the wings, all electronics are installed. Have not glued the top wing to the center struts yet. Here in Pittsburgh the weather has been wet and windy-30-40 mph gusts. Waiting for a calm day!
I may not get one before it snows so I will have to debate a maiden with the new Dubros skiis I bought- could be fun and the snow would be a great cushion in a crash. Which I usually do with a new plane.
I will take a few pictures in the next day or two. Anything you are interested in seeing? Otherwise it will be the completed plane, radio gear...........
Old Dec 08, 2004, 10:21 AM
United States, MI, Traverse City
Joined Nov 2004
73 Posts
jlandis,
More thanks for the thread as the FedX guy just dropped off a TM400 to me yesterday. I plan to build both the TM and a Mountain Models Magpie over the winter. The Magpie will be my trainer in the spring (hope to get into AP with it someday) and then later the TM will take to the air.
I love the look of biplanes and couldn't pass up buying the TM, as Chief Aircraft out of Grants Pass, Oregon had them for $54.95 + 9.95 shipping.
So thanks again as I will be looking back at your thread when I start my build.
JDill is offline Find More Posts by JDill
Old Dec 08, 2004, 03:36 PM
Joined May 2004
195 Posts
I will be posting some more pictures tonight. As previously stated, I have finshed almost all of the plane now. I did not realize the gap I had with the last picture and where I am now.
Hope to maiden tommorrow as the forcast is for a calm (3 mph or less wind) day.
Old Dec 08, 2004, 05:24 PM
Hack of all trades...
Detroit, Michigan
Joined Oct 2004
371 Posts
jlandis:
Pictures of any kind are helpful, so just keep 'em coming! Good luck on the maiden...sounds like the weather in Pitt is a lot like Detroit.

S.S.