SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Nov 17, 2004, 09:23 AM
Joined May 2004
195 Posts
Cut out

In order to accomadate my Deans plugs, I had to cut out the following area in the fuselage as indicated below.

Hopefully this afternoon after work I can get the horizontal and vertical stabilizers installed.
Next up will be returing to the struts, getting the strut mounts painted.
jlandis is offline Find More Posts by jlandis
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 19, 2004, 08:08 AM
Joined May 2004
195 Posts
Apogee Battery

Given the power system- 400c-D gearing, I will be using a iRate 3s1p 1500 form CBP. Anyone have any experience with APOGEE batteries? They have a 1570mah and a 2480mah that should fit well in this plane. It appears that most favor TP or Kokam.
Old Nov 19, 2004, 10:22 AM
College Park, MD
Joined Sep 2002
4,714 Posts
IMO, Apogee are the best lipos available. I have packs from all the major vendors and my Apogee 1570 pack deliver consistently good power at high C ratings and also deliver their rated capacity.
thunder1 is offline Find More Posts by thunder1
Old Nov 19, 2004, 02:28 PM
Joined May 2004
195 Posts
Thanks

thunder1-
Thanks for the info. I am having a hard time finding Apogee lipo's. Any thoughts on the best place to purchase them?
Old Nov 19, 2004, 07:41 PM
Linux addict
S. Jersey, US, the 51 state
Joined Oct 2004
289 Posts
www.lightflightrc.com has them last time I checked
Ekim is offline Find More Posts by Ekim
Old Nov 20, 2004, 12:27 AM
College Park, MD
Joined Sep 2002
4,714 Posts
http://www.pfmdistribution.com/
thunder1 is offline Find More Posts by thunder1
Old Nov 21, 2004, 04:32 PM
Joined May 2004
195 Posts
Build continues........

Just a few more build pictures.
Below are the strut mounting tabs. First the were roughed up with sandpaper, then spraypainted flat white. Two coates of the Tamaiya acrylic lemon yellow were applied.
I first tested the color on the leftover plastic from the struts and it was a good match.
Old Nov 21, 2004, 04:52 PM
Joined May 2004
195 Posts
Better Picture

Sorry for the out of focus picture of the painted strut mounts- here is a better picture. Also a picture of the Tamaiya paint I used.
Old Nov 21, 2004, 04:56 PM
Joined May 2004
195 Posts
Tail assembly

Here is a dry run of the rudder assembly. The tail stab glued to the horizontal elevator is a little off square.
I inserted a piece of plastic tube into the rudder to hold the wheel wire. I noticed on my estarter this area gets loose and sloppy with landings.

Also, I lost one of the hinges I used an old floppy disk as a replacement.
Old Nov 21, 2004, 04:57 PM
Joined May 2004
195 Posts
Nearing completion

My plane is nearing completion.
Old Dec 01, 2004, 08:23 PM
Joined May 2004
195 Posts
Glue wing

I will post more pics for those of you interested.
I have a question about the build- does the upper wing get glued to the struts by the fuselage? I know the other struts attach to the upper and lower wing with screws.
Any help would be appreciated.
Old Dec 01, 2004, 09:35 PM
Joined Jun 2004
59 Posts
nice!!

man i am still sanding the darn paint off my TM400
WilliamS is offline Find More Posts by WilliamS
Old Dec 02, 2004, 09:02 PM
Joined May 2004
195 Posts
Couple more

Below is the servo install. Notice how they are screwed into the plastic strips mounted in the body of the plane.
Also is the aileron servo install.
note that the tubes used in step one inside the fuselage need to be longer- like 300mm. I spent too much time trying to fish out the elevator and rudder wires.
Old Dec 02, 2004, 09:04 PM
Joined May 2004
195 Posts
Dubro mini connectors

Also notice the use of Dubro mini connectors. They are an indespensable part of my builds- they make the final servo adjustsments so much easier.
Old Dec 02, 2004, 09:33 PM
Hack of all trades...
Detroit, Michigan
Joined Oct 2004
371 Posts
Some more TM400 questions

Jlandis:
Awesome thread! I just started my TM400 this evening and I'm certain your info has saved me numerous headaches.

Yes, I will publicly admit that I'm pretty ignorant with this electric stuff, but learning fast with everyone's help. My latest stupid question is as follows: how do I know what type of ESC to use if I want to buy something other than a GWS brand? The kit spec's the use of an ICS400 or above, but I have no clue how this relates to the rating of the ESC. I notice on your original post that you are using a 20 ESC. I assume this is a 20A max rating, correct? How did you determine this was the proper rating ESC?

Also, I note this kit doesn't come with a JS connector like the GWS 350 motors. Did you also use a Dean's connector for the connection from the motor to the ESC lead?

Thanks again for everyone's help.

Smooth
Smooth Spanky is offline Find More Posts by Smooth Spanky