HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 16, 2013, 02:50 PM
CAP smasher
GA,USA
Joined Jul 2010
147 Posts
Well Mr Mclarkson, I m going to pay you the ultimate compliment by shamelessly copying your idea! Well done sir!!
compressor man is offline Find More Posts by compressor man
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 16, 2013, 02:54 PM
Must not buy more planes!
USA, KS, Wichita
Joined Jul 2010
2,211 Posts
Thanks. The axles are short pieces of brass tubing slipped over both wires and soldered in place.
mclarkson is offline Find More Posts by mclarkson
Old Feb 17, 2013, 03:37 PM
USA, KS, Wichita
Joined Jul 2010
2,211 Posts
I got up today and it looked beautiful. The winds were blowing 9MPH which is a bit brisk but I was determined to maiden this plane anyway.

Unfortunately, in the five minutes it took me to get to the field, the wind had increased to 19 MPH! I was too stubborn to give up that easily and determined to get her in the air today.

ProTip: When the plane is blowing backwards down the runway under power, it's probably too windy to fly.

GWS Tiger Moth 400 - Way Too Windy - Maiden Flight (0 min 0 sec)

Here she is, post-maiden. Still missing wing wires and other scale details but 95% done and totally ready to fly.

My first moth came out decidedly nose-heavy so I tried to keep everything as far back as possible. This one, of course, came out tail heavy and currently has 21 grams of lead in the nose.
Last edited by mclarkson; Feb 17, 2013 at 05:33 PM.
Old Feb 17, 2013, 05:49 PM
My Co-Pilots Rock!!
United States, FL, Clearwater
Joined May 2011
1,665 Posts
You have more guts than I do, I would have never maidened her in that much wind - glad you got away with it

Wolfe
wolfewinde is offline Find More Posts by wolfewinde
Last edited by wolfewinde; Feb 17, 2013 at 08:38 PM.
Old Feb 17, 2013, 07:53 PM
USA, KS, Wichita
Joined Jul 2010
2,211 Posts
Guts? Or just lack of brains? I'm glad too!
Old Feb 17, 2013, 07:55 PM
Dixie Sky Devils AMA# 1015548
United States, MS, Tupelo
Joined Oct 2012
1,084 Posts
Excellent idea on the LG! going with something close, but not exactly like yours! your idea gave me mine. will post a pic when it's done. Question, there is some little square indentions in the nose of fuse that line up with screw holes on cowl, is there a part on parts tree that go's there? or do you glue some little square pieces of bass wood or something?
tupeloflyer is offline Find More Posts by tupeloflyer
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Sig T-Clips
Old Feb 17, 2013, 08:04 PM
USA, KS, Wichita
Joined Jul 2010
2,211 Posts
There are, in fact, little tiny pieces of white plastic that go in there. I lose mine every time, tear the box apart, look everywhere, give up in despair and then finally find them.

Here's a photo, FWIW
Old Feb 17, 2013, 08:38 PM
My Co-Pilots Rock!!
Joined May 2011
1,665 Posts
LOL - If I drop one more screw...............

Wolfe
Old Feb 19, 2013, 05:54 PM
USA, KS, Wichita
Joined Jul 2010
2,211 Posts
I know what you mean. The worst part is I'm using these teeny, tiny little screw eyes on the interplane struts. And I have exactly 8 of them. And I can't find them locally. So if I drop and lose one, I'm out $8.00 (incl shipping) and a 2-week wait!

I got my new one up in the air today and lordy is she tail-heavy. Handling and stability were just awful. So I'm gonna pop the bottom wing off and move the innards around a bit. And hope against hope that I don't loose one of those teeny, tiny screw eyes!

You can see in the photos that the paint is shiiiiiny.
Last edited by mclarkson; Feb 19, 2013 at 10:52 PM.
Old Feb 20, 2013, 03:38 PM
USA, KS, Wichita
Joined Jul 2010
2,211 Posts

With the maiden flights showing a tail-heavy bird, I moved the ESC up to the front of the firewall. The ESC and the wires are held in place with zip ties run through slots cut in the foam.
Old Feb 20, 2013, 03:43 PM
USA, KS, Wichita
Joined Jul 2010
2,211 Posts
Not sure if this is worth sharing (or the right place) but...

I've replaced the stock interplane strut screws on my Tiger Moths with tiny little brass-plated screw eyes. This gives me a place to anchor my flying wires.

Screwing the screw eyes in and out is a major PITA. I've been doing it a half turn at a time with hemostats. I finally got tired of that and built this little tool from piano wire and shrink wrap.

Old Feb 20, 2013, 07:01 PM
Dixie Sky Devils AMA# 1015548
United States, MS, Tupelo
Joined Oct 2012
1,084 Posts
Awesome scale touch to the TM 400! I might have to steal that idea! I'm moving along pretty well on my build, I bought the plain white unpainted version and applying coats of minwax polycrylic and wet sanding between coats before I paint. haven't really decided on a scheme yet? probably go with yellow with the black nose... and the decals. going brushless tho, 400 size, with a 3s 1300mah pack. anyone know how much alieron throw for a good roll rate?
tupeloflyer is offline Find More Posts by tupeloflyer
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Sig T-Clips
Old Feb 20, 2013, 07:33 PM
My Co-Pilots Rock!!
Joined May 2011
1,665 Posts
I did the same thing for wing wires - works great

Wolfe
Old Feb 20, 2013, 07:51 PM
United States, UT, Draper
Joined Dec 2012
1,739 Posts
VTOL Tiger Moth! Yeah! I want one. Actually, there are two in my LHS just waiting to be bought. One is a built airframe only, the other in the box.

Still in training with Frankenplane.

Great build and videos!
Steve 0 is online now Find More Posts by Steve 0
Old Feb 20, 2013, 08:06 PM
USA, KS, Wichita
Joined Jul 2010
2,211 Posts
I'm pretty sure all my work with the surface and paint is what's given me such a tail-heavy plane, so watch out for that. (My first TM came out nose-heavy, with a smaller motor.)

I'm not really sure about the ailerons. Generally, I set everything up to maximum mechanical throw and then regret it later.

p.s. Anyone wanting all the excruciating details about my latest build will find them here.