Old Jan 31, 2013, 08:27 PM
CAP smasher
GA,USA
Joined Jul 2010
215 Posts
Well, that got me to thinking, maybe something like this
http://www.headsuprc.com/servlet/the...unt-for/Detail
although it is out-of-stock.
May send an email to headsup and see what they suggest. Always heard they are great folks, and I did order my plane from there
compressor man is offline Find More Posts by compressor man
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 31, 2013, 09:30 PM
My Co-Pilots Rock!!
United States, FL, Clearwater
Joined May 2011
1,665 Posts
I have that mount on a stick in my Stearman, Compressor, and have used it several times before - it seems to work just fine.

I still use the stick mounts, but brace them a bit is they exit the firewall

I think that mount you shod would work fine too, Mclarkson

Wolfe
wolfewinde is offline Find More Posts by wolfewinde
Old Jan 31, 2013, 11:15 PM
In thrust we trust
Aguanga, Ca
Joined Mar 2010
1,283 Posts
The trouble with the plastic GWS mount that's linked above is that it will lower the motor shaft about 1/2" too much, and you will need to enlarge the cowl opening. They're great to use with some GWS models - particularly the models that have two stick mount slots in the fuse's firewall, as they can be used in the lower stick mount slot in an upward position to put the motor shaft the in the desired location. However, the TM400 only has one stick mount slot and it is up on the higher side of the firewall.

Hence, the need for this aluminum motor mount, pointing down. The bad: they're $9.95. The good: they put a brushless motor's shaft in the exact spot the original brushed motor shaft would sit, and they can withstand an uncontrollable digger into hardpan in near-vertical fashion and still be raring to go. Don't ask

The problem I see with that adjustable motor mount other than the weight, and perhaps the reduced airflow to the electronics, is that the description says it needs 2" of width, and the inside of the Moth cowl just isn't wide enough towards the front to accommodate it.

Nice find on the video editor, Mclarkson. Looks like all I could ever need.
phoam is offline Find More Posts by phoam
Old Feb 01, 2013, 05:19 AM
Must not buy more planes!
USA, KS, Wichita
Joined Jul 2010
2,385 Posts
That's certainly a simpler solution, and looks like it ought to work with my new motor. I've actually email Jeff and Jesse at HURC as well to see if they have a particular recommendation.

edit// In fact, I see that that is my new motor.
mclarkson is offline Find More Posts by mclarkson
Old Feb 01, 2013, 01:19 PM
CAP smasher
GA,USA
Joined Jul 2010
215 Posts
I cannot see why this will not work. It is also very light and costs nothing. If one were to cut a 3/8 x 3/8 strip (am at work so I dont know what it actually needs to be) It could then be cut to length and glued to the original stick motor mount. This new and larger end could then be drilled for the motor mounting screws
Old Feb 01, 2013, 03:25 PM
USA, KS, Wichita
Joined Jul 2010
2,385 Posts
No reason it wouldn't work. I'd be a little concerned about the solidity of the butt joint as all the forces will be acting at 90 degrees to it, where it's weakest.
Old Feb 01, 2013, 04:22 PM
CAP smasher
GA,USA
Joined Jul 2010
215 Posts
As long as you are not gluing on end grain, the strength of a wood glue bond is astonishing. This would not be balsa, instead it would be something light but strong like spruce.

I am quite familiar with wood joints and wood glue, have built furniture for years and years.
Old Feb 01, 2013, 04:58 PM
USA, KS, Wichita
Joined Jul 2010
2,385 Posts
Not doubting your expertise at all. I know very little about such things; that was just a concern that occurred to me. Should work great then.
Old Feb 02, 2013, 02:15 PM
United States, CA, Walnut
Joined Sep 2006
757 Posts
Stick mount

Hi

This what I used

http://www.horizonhobby.com/products...mount-EFLM1915

Gary
Blusaber is offline Find More Posts by Blusaber
Old Feb 04, 2013, 05:00 PM
USA, KS, Wichita
Joined Jul 2010
2,385 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by phoam View Post
Hence, the need for this aluminum motor mount, pointing down. The bad: they're $9.95.
Do you discard the 'X' mount, then, and just bolt the motor can straight onto the aluminum motor mount?
Old Feb 04, 2013, 05:12 PM
In thrust we trust
Aguanga, Ca
Joined Mar 2010
1,283 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mclarkson View Post
Do you discard the 'X' mount, then, and just bolt the motor can straight onto the aluminum motor mount?
Yes sir. No X-mount needed, as that aluminum motor mount acts as its own X-mount.
Old Feb 04, 2013, 10:53 PM
USA, KS, Wichita
Joined Jul 2010
2,385 Posts
Sweet. I wrote HeadsUp last week but, very uncharacteristically, no one has responded. So today I dropped by my LHS and they had Blusaber's EFlite mount in stock for $4.50 so I picked one up and it works perfectly! Thanks guys!

On to my next problem.
Old Feb 04, 2013, 11:15 PM
In thrust we trust
Aguanga, Ca
Joined Mar 2010
1,283 Posts
Oh yeah, I had forgotten about them E-flite stick mounts. They do have the same thrustline and will serve you well.

I realize this is your second TM400 build, but am curious as to what mount you were using before and why it's not panning out now?
Old Feb 05, 2013, 12:26 AM
USA, KS, Wichita
Joined Jul 2010
2,385 Posts
Honestly? I had in my mind that I had to accommodate the x-mount and would need something more substantial than the stick mount.
Old Feb 05, 2013, 11:59 PM
USA, KS, Wichita
Joined Jul 2010
2,385 Posts
Any tips on cutting the control surfaces to get a (near)seamless join?

The 'thin' part of the wing, where the joints are stamped out, is still 1/4" thick. I painted everything first, thinking that would be the way to go, but now I can't see any way to fix the ailerons, etc. without totally destroying my paint.