HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 30, 2005, 11:56 PM
Dance the skies...
United States, MA, Walpole
Joined Dec 2003
16,606 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by squidbait
Well, that's what I thought, but I've got two washers, a big one and a little one...

And with the cabanes - is there any way I could have stuck the fuselage mounts in upside down? I'm thinking about glueing the cabanes into the upper wing, letting the struts stand straight, and drilling new holes in the mounting panel on the fuse.
Can you post a picture? The wings should not be that far off. I glued my cabane struts into the upper wing seated as deep as they would go (before I put the wings on the fuselage. It fit perfectly! Is either of you wings warped? Again, a picture would help to see what's gioing on.
Tom Frank is offline Find More Posts by Tom Frank
Last edited by Tom Frank; Jan 31, 2005 at 05:49 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 31, 2005, 12:39 PM
Cincinnati, Ohio USA
Joined Nov 2000
4,359 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Frank
Here's a pretty foolproof way to balance the TM400. Support the plane with your index fingers on the underside of the plastic cabane strut portion that glues into the upper wing. Move your fingers all the way back until the touch the rear cabane strut. That is your balance point! Mine flies just great balance there.
Tom:
Thanks! that sounds easy enough, I will try it. Based on where I'm sensing the CG to be, I may not need to add any clay.

-Mike-
mrebman is offline Find More Posts by mrebman
Old Jan 31, 2005, 09:31 PM
Zzzt! Buzz! Click!
State of Confusion
Joined Jan 2004
1,616 Posts
Quote:
Can you post a picture? The wings should not be that far off. I glued my cabane struts into the upper wing seated as deep as they would go (before I put the wings on the fuselage. It fit perfectly! Is either of you wings warped? Again, a picture would help to see what's gioing on.
OK, here's a few piccies to try to figure out where I went wrong.

Picture #1 is a head on - the left wing is actually slightly lower than the right, about 6mm. Does it seem to sag a bit?

Pic #2 is a closeup of the cabanes with the upper wing just sitting there, and pic #3 is the struts with no pressure on top.

Pic #4 is the cabanes with the upper wing pressed down so the cabanes are completely seated. Pic #5 is the struts with the upper wing pressed down. It doesn't show very well in the pic, but both struts have more bend than when I'm not pressing down on the wing.

So what's going on with my moth???
squidbait is offline Find More Posts by squidbait
Old Jan 31, 2005, 09:45 PM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
16,606 Posts
It looks to me like your lower wing has dihedral and your upper wing does not. Mine has a little dihedral in the upper wing as well... not much but it only takes a tiny bit to lengthen the distance between the wings at the outboard struts. This will take up the slack on the outboard struts.

You can either put a little dihedral in the upper wing, or take a little out of the lower wing by propping up the tips and weighting down the center (not TOO much!) and leaving it sit that way for a day or so. I put a carbon fiber tube spar in my upper wing (and lower wing, too), and that would be another way (glue the spar in place with the wing deflected slightly in the direction you want. You can also glue some stiffners on the outer struts to straighten them (I've used CF tube left over from wing spars and split down one side with Dremel grinding wheel).

One thing I'd definitely do, though, is to fully seat and glue in place the upper inner cabanes for max strength.

P.S. I wish I had your wings! I just flew my TM into a craggy tree last weekend and it took some nasty bites out of mine!
Last edited by Tom Frank; Jan 31, 2005 at 09:52 PM.
Old Feb 01, 2005, 06:28 AM
Tree Hater
Howland, Ohio
Joined Jun 2004
729 Posts
Quote:
OK, here's a few piccies to try to figure out where I went wrong.

Picture #1 is a head on - the left wing is actually slightly lower than the right, about 6mm. Does it seem to sag a bit?

Pic #2 is a closeup of the cabanes with the upper wing just sitting there, and pic #3 is the struts with no pressure on top.

Pic #4 is the cabanes with the upper wing pressed down so the cabanes are completely seated. Pic #5 is the struts with the upper wing pressed down. It doesn't show very well in the pic, but both struts have more bend than when I'm not pressing down on the wing.

So what's going on with my moth???

I wouldn't worry too much about it. Take the inner cabanes off the fuse and epoxy them into the slots in the wing as far as they'll go. Make sure they are perpendicular to the wing. Then go on and assemble everything. If your outer cabanes still bow a little you can replace them with plywood or something else stiffer if it bothers you. That slight bow that is apparent in your picture won't bother the flying qualities of your plane to any noticible degree. I had a PT17 that I flew into a light pole. The wings were then glued together in about 5 places and were crooked as a politician. It still flew great.

http://www.e-flightline.com/ has a laser cut strut kit for this plane you may like.
zeuglodon is offline Find More Posts by zeuglodon
Last edited by zeuglodon; Feb 01, 2005 at 06:34 AM.
Old Feb 01, 2005, 10:14 PM
Zzzt! Buzz! Click!
State of Confusion
Joined Jan 2004
1,616 Posts
OK, things are coming together. Cabanes are glued in, the electronics are being placed, and so now I'm wondering how you folks have routed your antennae? I noticed one bird had the antenna run out the cockpit and run to the top of the vertical stab, but some of you other folks seem to have run them out from the lower wing. What say you?
Old Feb 01, 2005, 10:21 PM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
16,606 Posts
Quote:
OK, things are coming together. Cabanes are glued in, the electronics are being placed, and so now I'm wondering how you folks have routed your antennae? I noticed one bird had the antenna run out the cockpit and run to the top of the vertical stab, but some of you other folks seem to have run them out from the lower wing. What say you?
UGLY! I use a Lightenna with my Berg Rx, routed back totally inside the fuselage in plastic straws taped together and glued to the inside body side to keep the antenna well away from the metal pushrods. Never a glitch and never a wire to dangle, snag, or corrupt the look of this classic airframe!
Old Feb 01, 2005, 11:45 PM
Zzzt! Buzz! Click!
State of Confusion
Joined Jan 2004
1,616 Posts
Quote:
UGLY! I use a Lightenna with my Berg Rx, routed back totally inside the fuselage in plastic straws taped together and glued to the inside body side to keep the antenna well away from the metal pushrods. Never a glitch and never a wire to dangle, snag, or corrupt the look of this classic airframe!

Now he tells me!

It would've been easier to do before I glued up the fuse. I suppose I could still go on a fishing expedition and route the antenna inside, but what about coming off the rear of the wing and taping it to the bottom of the fuse?
Old Feb 02, 2005, 06:09 AM
Tree Hater
Howland, Ohio
Joined Jun 2004
729 Posts
That'll work fine. Just do as Tom suggests and replace that 40" antenna with a Lightenna. I have them on all my parkflyers.
Old Feb 02, 2005, 09:39 AM
Hack of all trades...
Detroit, Michigan
Joined Oct 2004
371 Posts
What's a Lightenna and where can I get one?
Smooth Spanky is offline Find More Posts by Smooth Spanky
Old Feb 02, 2005, 09:46 AM
Zzzt! Buzz! Click!
State of Confusion
Joined Jan 2004
1,616 Posts
I'm assuming it's the one they have at http://www.e-flightline.com/ - it's at the bottom of their receiver page.

What makes this better than the 40" wire? Is it completely hidden in the fuse?
Old Feb 02, 2005, 03:34 PM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
16,606 Posts
Quote:
Now he tells me!

It would've been easier to do before I glued up the fuse. I suppose I could still go on a fishing expedition and route the antenna inside, but what about coming off the rear of the wing and taping it to the bottom of the fuse?
Sorry, I must have missed your post asking about this BEFORE you glued the fuse together!

I taped together three plastic coffee stirrer straws, pushed inside the fuse AFTER it was glued together until it bottomed out at the back, then pushed and deflected it until it bowed against the top inside of the fuse (as far from pushrods as possible, then epoxied the front to the foam bulkhead at the servo bay. Feed in the wire from the Lightenna, and you're done. EASY!
Last edited by Tom Frank; Feb 02, 2005 at 03:37 PM.
Old Feb 02, 2005, 03:40 PM
Castle Tech
Olathe, KS
Joined Aug 2003
4,889 Posts
Sandwich the struts between 2 pieces of carbon fiber with CA and they'll be SOLID.
Joe Ford is offline Find More Posts by Joe Ford
Old Feb 03, 2005, 05:08 AM
Tree Hater
Howland, Ohio
Joined Jun 2004
729 Posts
Quote:
I'm assuming it's the one they have at http://www.e-flightline.com/ - it's at the bottom of their receiver page.

What makes this better than the 40" wire? Is it completely hidden in the fuse?

It's better on a parkflyer because:

Radio manufacturers don't recommend that you coil their 40" antennae - therefore you will have over 2 feet of wire trailing your plane.

The lightenna is base loaded and they claim it retains 90% of range - my experience seems to confirm this.

Any slight reduction in range is insignificant in a parkflyer - you'll lose sight of it before you lose control.
Old Feb 03, 2005, 07:23 AM
Hack of all trades...
Detroit, Michigan
Joined Oct 2004
371 Posts
Any good links to where I can pick up these anennae?

Thanks!
Smooth Spanky is offline Find More Posts by Smooth Spanky