HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 13, 2004, 05:08 PM
Joined May 2004
195 Posts
Tiger Moth 400 Build

Armed with my new digital camera, I am going to chronical the build of my Tiger Moth 400 kit. I am building it stock with the following

GWS 6P receiver
3 Interflight 4.6g pico servo's
CC Pixie 20 speed control
iRate 3S1P 1500mah battery
Variety of props.

So where to begin.
The kit unopened. Also below are the battery compartment hollowed out to accomadate my battery. The edges of the front cockpit were sanded down as the battery was tearing them up putting it in. Note the yellow paint used to touch up the sanded areas. For those of you looking for a match to the tiger moth color, this is it! The paint is Tamaiya acrylic lemon yellow. Paint it on, you will notice it is a bit orange, but take a paper towel moistened with rubbing alcohol and wipe it off. Viola what is left is a perfect match.
Also, the struts will be painted a german silver and maybe the cowl.
More to follow.
jlandis is offline Find More Posts by jlandis
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 14, 2004, 01:42 AM
sticky toed flyer
Methuen, Mass, United States
Joined Sep 2004
371 Posts
I hope you don't mind but that second pic was a little dark
reptilerick is offline Find More Posts by reptilerick
Old Nov 14, 2004, 09:33 AM
Joined May 2004
195 Posts
Thanks

Thanks you are correct. I kind of rushed posting them as I was on my way out the door.
Old Nov 14, 2004, 10:09 AM
Linux addict
S. Jersey, US, the 51 state
Joined Oct 2004
289 Posts
As you are building, try to put as much equipment, as far up front as possibl, I had to add the whole stick of clay into the nose of mine.
Ekim is offline Find More Posts by Ekim
Old Nov 14, 2004, 01:16 PM
Joined May 2004
195 Posts
Thanks

Thanks for the info.
Here are some more pictures of the build.
The fuselage is glued. If you notice gaps in it while gluing, apply a little foam safe CA and press- brings them together nicely. Also, I used foam safe CA on the circular knob area to provide a good seal in addition to the rubber bands while the GWS glue was drying. I applied the GWS glue with a paint brush, let it partially dry first.
Old Nov 14, 2004, 01:25 PM
Joined May 2004
195 Posts
Wings

Here is the bottom wing. I have noticed where the aileron linkage wire sticks into the foam on the aileron on my estarter, after a few flights it becomes loose and sloppy. To fix this, I am inserting a 20mm piece of the push rod tube into the hole, cement it in then I will insert the aileron linkage into that.

I am using the included GWS hinges. I am not using the measurements in the book. I am measuring from the medial part of the aileron and going out 80mm for the first hinge, 80mm beyond that for the second and 80mm beyond that for the third. The instructions made the last hinge too far from the distal tip of the wing.

On the wing, use the same measurements and cut the slit wider so there is some fudge room when putting the ailerons on.
Old Nov 14, 2004, 01:26 PM
Joined May 2004
195 Posts
Picutures.

Sorry, the pictures did not upload. Here they are.
Old Nov 14, 2004, 02:25 PM
Helena, MT
Joined Feb 2003
2,917 Posts
Great so far - keep em coming. I love these build threads. Appreciate it!
LTChip is offline Find More Posts by LTChip
Old Nov 15, 2004, 10:35 PM
Joined May 2004
195 Posts
Cowl and Tail

A few more pictures of the build here.

Regarding the elevator assembly, do not use the measurements in the instructions for the linkage wire. It says to drill a hole at 40mm when it is really 30mm from the edge of the elevator.

On the cowl, cut it out as described. I CA'ed some 150 grit sandpaper to a pen to give a circular sanding suface and used this to give a good clean radius to the openings on the cowl.

The ailerons are done, installed and the various wing attachment pieces are installed. I think for once I achieved a near exact fit for both the ailerons and the elevator.
Jopefully my luck will be the same with the rudder.
Old Nov 16, 2004, 07:22 AM
Joined May 2004
195 Posts
Observation

An observation about the cowl- it is thin and easy to dent. Mine arrived with dents already in it, some of which may not come out.
It also appears the fit is "loose" probably for airflow, so do not expect it to fit snuggly on the front of the plane. There are only 3 mounting tabs- one on top and one on each side leaving the bottom open.
Just an observation.
Old Nov 16, 2004, 07:20 PM
Joined May 2004
195 Posts
New build pictures

New build pictures to follow as soon as my camera is recharged.
Old Nov 16, 2004, 08:41 PM
Cincinnati, Ohio USA
Joined Nov 2000
4,359 Posts
I just ordered a Tiger Moth 400 (Slope version) yesterday, am looking forward to starting the project over Thanksgiving weekend. Would it be better to cut ailerons on the top wing as well as the bottom wing? Would Dual ailerons help with the roll rate or is one set adequate?

-Mike-
mrebman is offline Find More Posts by mrebman
Old Nov 16, 2004, 10:30 PM
Joined Apr 2004
776 Posts
Ailerons in both wings might help the roll rate, but the Moth 400 is a great flyer. Am running a 350C on mine with 2s lipos and a 1047 prop. She flies great.
WolfeWind is offline Find More Posts by WolfeWind
Old Nov 17, 2004, 07:56 AM
Joined May 2004
195 Posts
The build continues

The first big mistake I made was getting the elevator put together wrong. Although it looks symetrical, there is a top and bottom to the elevator and horizontal stabilizer. The picture below does not show it well but the little knobs from the molding process of the foam go on the underside of the elevator and horizontal stabilizer. The stabilizer fits to the body of the plane best this way. I had to cut the hinges and redo it. Minor setback.
Old Nov 17, 2004, 08:02 AM
Joined May 2004
195 Posts
Servo installation

I purchased the servos pictured below from allerc. They are very light but only produce 5.6oz/in of torque. I am not sure if this is enough- any thoughts on this would be helpful. I am not an aggresive flyer as I am still learning.
Anyway, I cut some strips of plastic from leftover stuff from the strut assembly and epoxied them around the servo mounting hole. This way I can drill small holes and screw mount the servos. I have seen variations with trays and such but this seems like it may work just as well. I have found with other planes the tape does not hold.