HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 13, 2004, 01:06 PM
Airspeed is my Friend
Hayward Terminal, California, United States
Joined Feb 2004
948 Posts
P/F-80 Build Thread....the beginning...

Well, it has been awhile. I am working on a few new projects, but I think this one will work well for a build thread.

I had purchased the P-80 from RayH months ago and had picked up the wing cores and tail templates back then. Ray still needed to seam the fuse, so, I left the fuse with him to finish it up. I had planned on getting back down to pick it up sooner than last week. However, life always seems to happen and delays due to work just kept getting in the way. But, last week the "work gods" were finally in my favor and I made it to San Pedro and caught up with Ray. I got to spend about an hour with him and he was kind enough to share some "Ray Tips" with me as well as giving me a demo on building the horizontal and vertical tail sections. Actually, he built my tail sections for me in about twenty minutes as I sat there watching and taking it all in...Thanks Ray! Also fell in love with the P-51 he has for sale...check it out in the "For Sale" forum. If it is still around in January(which I doubt), I just might take it off his hands.

Anyway, I finally made it back home and decided it was time to start another build thread...here is the "bench flying" picture prior to starting. Now, this is a build in progress, so things may go a little slowly. But, I hope to keep up the pace so as to not bore you die hard build thread readers....

here she is...
Kirkgh is offline Find More Posts by Kirkgh
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 13, 2004, 01:11 PM
Airspeed is my Friend
Joined Feb 2004
948 Posts
My plan is to hit the LHS today and pick up some supplies and material to sheet the wing cores. I hope to get started tonight...Stay tuned!

Kirk
Old Nov 13, 2004, 02:06 PM
It could happen...
Torrance, California
Joined Jan 2004
7,537 Posts
An F & P 80 thread, SWEET!!! Love the F & P 80s...

Hey Ray, I thought I was on your list for one of these? No matter...still have the 262 to finish...
InTheLift is offline Find More Posts by InTheLift
Old Nov 13, 2004, 02:16 PM
Tryin not to be a hack!!
SoCal
Joined May 2004
1,797 Posts
Well, look who it is!!! Hope you've been well. Lookin forward to the thread!!

Headin down to Fermin now..........cya

Kevin
Aerobat152A is offline Find More Posts by Aerobat152A
Old Nov 13, 2004, 02:27 PM
Insert custom witicism
San Diego
Joined Jun 2001
3,526 Posts
I'm one of the aforementioned build thread readers. Should be a cool thread!
Jeff Charlot is offline Find More Posts by Jeff Charlot
Old Nov 13, 2004, 08:33 PM
Airspeed is my Friend
Joined Feb 2004
948 Posts
Hey Kevin...it has been awhile, but I am back and ready to build away...
Hey Jeff...I hope I can do this justice...and keep everyone interested.

And by the way, if anyone has suggestions, tips, or comments...feel free give me to give me some feedback. This is my first build with fibreglass fuselage, and sheeting of wings...so any help would be appreciated.

Just got back from the LHS with the supplies. Will try to get organized and get this thing moving....

I picked up a couple of sheets of 12" x 24" x 1/16" plywood for the sheeting, couple of 1/2" x 3/8" spruce, a couple of 1/8" x 1/2" spruce
(they did not have 1/2" x 1/2" spruce, so I will have to improvise, if needed) for the leading edge, and a couple of 1/4" x 2" balsa for the trailing edge and ailerons. Also picked up three Hitec 475 servos with carbonite gears. They are a little stronger, more torque, faster, and cheaper than the 425's that Ray had suggested I use, so I thought I would give them a try.

All of this did not cost me a cent...used a gift certificate I received last month for my B'Day from my sister and brother-in-law. Thanks Debby and Jerry!

I am going to get the camera set up and get this started...check back later for an progress update.

Kirk
Last edited by Kirkgh; Nov 13, 2004 at 08:40 PM.
Old Nov 13, 2004, 09:12 PM
Tuskegee Airmen; My Heros
Check the Bloq
Joined May 2002
1,494 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by InTheLift
An F & P 80 thread, SWEET!!! Love the F & P 80s...

Hey Ray, I thought I was on your list for one of these? No matter...still have the 262 to finish...

Glen,
you are on the list,
stop by next weekend!
Ray
RayH is offline Find More Posts by RayH
Old Nov 13, 2004, 09:46 PM
It could happen...
Torrance, California
Joined Jan 2004
7,537 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayH
Glen,
you are on the list,
stop by next weekend!
Ray
Grinning ear to ear

Sweet Ray! Thanks!!!

F&P-80, F&P-80, F&P-80!!!!

Nobody gets it???
Old Nov 13, 2004, 10:16 PM
Tuskegee Airmen; My Heros
Check the Bloq
Joined May 2002
1,494 Posts
go Kirk Go, Go Kirk Go!
RayH is offline Find More Posts by RayH
Old Nov 13, 2004, 11:33 PM
Airspeed is my Friend
Joined Feb 2004
948 Posts
Thanks Ray...I appreciate all of your help and inspiration...I hope I make you proud....I still have a few questions, but I will save them and post as I get to that point of the build. I know we talked about doing the build and waiting to post the thread until afterwards...but, I decided that was no fun...and wanted to include everyone here thoughtout the build....

so, here goes....

First, I needed to trim all of the fuzzies from the trailing edge (see picture below)
Old Nov 13, 2004, 11:42 PM
Airspeed is my Friend
Joined Feb 2004
948 Posts
After I trimed the cores, I was ready to cut the ply for the sheeting. I bought 2 sheets of plywood 12" x 24" x 1/16", figuring I could get one wing half (Top and Bottom) out of a sheet. I really needed to buy 4 sheets and things would have been a lot easier. I could have used about an extra 1/2". But, knowing I was going to trim 1/2" off of the leading edge for the spruce leading edge and 2" off of the trailing edge for the balsa trailing edge, I had to fudge it just a bit and allow for the upcoming cuts.

Here, the foam cores have been trimed and the sheeting cut to size and ready for the attachment to the cores. I have to make a decision here as to the method of attachment, epoxy or try the PU method? Any thoughts?

Kirk
Last edited by Kirkgh; Nov 13, 2004 at 11:44 PM.
Old Nov 14, 2004, 07:20 AM
Just an A&P mechanic
Joined Sep 2002
372 Posts
F or P

That fuse is very nice . i hope i can order me one of those after the first of the year. Ray , please hang onto that mold so i cna get one. and of course

------------------------------"light Layup"---------------------------------
i can add some to the flexi areas. doyo uhave pics of all the molds you have on yopur webby? addy please , i want to go there! thanky
Spaceship13 is offline Find More Posts by Spaceship13
Old Nov 14, 2004, 10:37 AM
Vitruvian JART
San Francisco
Joined Mar 2003
5,019 Posts
Quote:
Grinning ear to ear

Sweet Ray! Thanks!!!

F&P-80, F&P-80, F&P-80!!!!

Nobody gets it???
They started out as P-80 just before the "F" designation came into useage. Switched to F-80 in the middle of the production run.

(and I personally love the look of the f%#n' P-80)
Reed is offline Find More Posts by Reed
Old Nov 14, 2004, 02:22 PM
It could happen...
Torrance, California
Joined Jan 2004
7,537 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reed
They started out as P-80 just before the "F" designation came into useage. Switched to F-80 in the middle of the production run.

(and I personally love the look of the f%#n' P-80)
You are my hero Reed!

Now, on to the build!!!!
Old Nov 14, 2004, 02:24 PM
Tryin not to be a hack!!
SoCal
Joined May 2004
1,797 Posts
Quote:
You are my hero Reed!

Reed is already my Hero!!!!! Go get your own!!!!
Aerobat152A is offline Find More Posts by Aerobat152A