HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 23, 2002, 05:59 PM
FLYER spelled I-squared-R
Grand Rapids, Michigan
Joined Sep 2001
1,623 Posts
Cutting Wing Ribs - Any Suggestions?

I'm getting ready to build a TINY from plans.

I have the full size drawing of the wing rib. I have the 1/16" contest balsa. I'm looking for suggestions on how to cut out the ribs so they are all the same.

I just have simple hobby tools: Hobby Knife, Razor saw, Dremel tool, Saber saw, etc.

Any help will be appreciated!

David
fliir is offline Find More Posts by fliir
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 23, 2002, 06:01 PM
Grand Rapids, Michigan
Joined Sep 2001
1,623 Posts
For CoClimber: Doug - if you read this, I don't even want to HEAR about the lazer cutter! Jealousy is a really ugly thing...
Old Feb 23, 2002, 06:08 PM
Surrey, BC Canada
Joined Apr 2000
649 Posts
If all of the ribs are the same size you can make one rib out of 1/8" balsa, thin CA the edge to harden it, then use it as a template to cut out the rest. Works like a charm, took me about 1/2 hour to cut out the ribs for a 72" wing.
Good luck,
Robert
RMFISH is offline Find More Posts by RMFISH
Old Feb 23, 2002, 06:12 PM
Mountain Models Wannabe
Ithaca, NY USA
Joined Mar 2001
4,371 Posts
David. True, the laser cutter is nice, but for a one time job, it's easier to glue the rib drawing to some cereal box cardboard, cut out the rib with sissors, then use that as a guide. Replace your xacto blade before you begin.

Doug
CoClimber is offline Find More Posts by CoClimber
Old Feb 23, 2002, 07:50 PM
Grand Rapids, Michigan
Joined Sep 2001
1,623 Posts
How do you cut out the notches for spar caps, etc. Do you try to use the pattern or do you stack them up after you have them formed and use a razor saw to cut them to the same depth?
Old Feb 23, 2002, 08:02 PM
Mountain Models Wannabe
Ithaca, NY USA
Joined Mar 2001
4,371 Posts
I put the notch in the pattern. Thick CA is your friend here.
CoClimber is offline Find More Posts by CoClimber
Old Feb 23, 2002, 08:20 PM
Pocono Mountains, PA
Joined Jan 2002
197 Posts
After I cut all my ribs, I stack them and clamp them. Then I sand them together by hand.
I usually find one oddball that is either too small or too big.

Rivethead
Rivethead is offline Find More Posts by Rivethead
Old Feb 23, 2002, 09:45 PM
Seaford, DE
Joined Jan 2002
793 Posts
Cutting ribs

This works great:

Cut a rectangular blank for each rib, and spot glue them together with thick CA to form a stack (don't use much glue). Cut out a template of the rib out of paper, and glue it to the top of the stack with glue stick. Using a jigsaw, cut around the template. For the lightening holes, drill a starter hole, and remove the jigsaw blade and thread it through the hole, and put the blade back in the jigsaw and cut the internal hole. Take the whole stack and finish sand it on a belt sander (You could skip the jigsaw and just sand away the whole profile on the belt sander, but you need the jigsaw for the spar notches and lightening holes). Now carefully break the ribs apart. Makes perfect ribs fast!

Dan
dgoslee is offline Find More Posts by dgoslee
Old Feb 24, 2002, 08:36 PM
Grand Rapids, Michigan
Joined Sep 2001
1,623 Posts
Thanks for all the help...

I used some of each of your suggestions. I used a cardboard pattern. I clamped all of the ribs together and sanded them to make them all as close as possible.

I'm ready to start assembly. This is my first model from plans, so I'm learning as I go.

David