HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 22, 2002, 09:02 PM
Hanworth, Middlesex, U.K.
Joined Feb 2002
36 Posts
Twin Star motor & paint questions

I bought a Twin Star, thinking of painting it with enamels/oil based paint, white & red(to pilatus colour scheme). Naturally, extra weight would need to be accounted for.
Ineed to know: 1:would MPX gearboxes be sufficient?, was thinking of in-line like Speedgear 400s to enhance appearance. Been told that very good, ubiquitous, Gunther props could be improved upon.
2:Method of applying paint, I was informed that if the enamel tub of paint was sitting in a pot of boiling water, that the brushmarks would disappear when it dries. Anyone comment? Would this paint be too heavy? would it need gears?
Please help!
semmyroundel is offline Find More Posts by semmyroundel
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 22, 2002, 09:58 PM
Tyler,Texas
Joined Nov 2001
162 Posts
eeeeeek!!!!!! DON'T use enamel on foam it will melt.

use water base paint . you can find some spray paint like formula - U that will work on foam.

-John-
big-john-48 is offline Find More Posts by big-john-48
Old Feb 23, 2002, 05:15 AM
SJ
Denmark EKCH
Joined Apr 2001
1,620 Posts
I painted mine with HUMBROL Eneaml paint which is normaly used with plastic models. If your not sure about the paint, just paint a little bit under the canopy or somewhere you dont see. And see what happens.

I havn`t tried gears, but 8 2400 cells and the stock sp400 flys great. Loops from level flight. Gunther props are great. (the stock white ones.)

SJ
SJ is online now Find More Posts by SJ
Old Feb 23, 2002, 07:14 AM
buy a lot, fly a little!
Hong Kong, Hong Kong Island, Central And Western District
Joined May 2001
5,766 Posts
I used sea grey for the upper surfaces and gloss white for the lower (RAF Coastal Command ww2) acrilic paints applied with a brush. The white needed about 3 good coats, grey only needing one. The weight didn't seem to be a problem as it flys fine on a 7cell pack of 2400's Nicads.

I can post some pictures soon if you like. semmyroundel
stuart warne is offline Find More Posts by stuart warne
Site Sponsor
Latest blog entry: Savex Spitfire Progress
Old Feb 23, 2002, 08:13 AM
RPV builder & operator
Canada, QC, Gatineau
Joined Jan 2001
2,303 Posts
Water based paint would be best. I used oil based spray paint on top of brushed on water based varnish. The trick is to let the spray go on lightly without building up too wet, several thin coats instead a heavy ones. If it gets soaked, the solvent is going to work it's way through to the foam and melt it.

Get some prop adapters and try other brands on the S400. I'm happy with Master Airscrew 6x3.5.
Pierre Audette is offline Find More Posts by Pierre Audette
Old Feb 23, 2002, 03:46 PM
Oxfordshire, UK.
Joined Nov 1999
107 Posts
Hi, semmyroundel,
Painted my Twinstar with water based radiator enamel by International paints (white) from B&Q etc. no problems.
Mike.
dommi is offline Find More Posts by dommi