SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Feb 22, 2002, 04:50 PM
My cat up close
England
Joined Feb 2001
4,021 Posts
VTOL Harrier kit.

Sorry,I know this one isn't electric,but thought it's uniqueness may warrant posting up here.When's the electric version available? (I wish!)
Follow this link to visit the site.
http://www.excitingrcm.equology.com/html/
What do you think, some kind of elaborate joke,or is it for real,anyone know??

Matt.
bipeflyer is offline Find More Posts by bipeflyer
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 22, 2002, 05:59 PM
UK
Joined Mar 2000
1,197 Posts
Its probably not a fake, I've seen at least 4 'wet' harriers which will do near or full VTOL. I've even designed one myself, but with an OS-90 VRDF, tuned pipe and Viojett with 20% nitro fuel pumping out 4.5 BHP at 26,000 rpm it was a bit noisy at 100 dB+.

Its also only about 60% efficient after you turn the airflow through 90 degrees through the nozzles. I've seen a prototype which was in Jet international which was flown before being 'given' to Yellow aircraft for final testing. This was a year or so ago (Eric Dainty's harrier???). This might be it, dunno.

It can be done.......

As for an electric version, well........

www.awatson1.fsnet.co.uk

I've tested the power setup and am into final build, another few months and I'm hovering.........Oh yea......

Doc
Doc Watson is offline Find More Posts by Doc Watson
Old Feb 22, 2002, 06:05 PM
Make Haste Slowly
USA, KY, Lexington
Joined Nov 1999
966 Posts
Suspicious

No pics of the model, no development story, no pics of the tooling, and a reference to the need for funding make me very suspicious that this venture will ever get off the ground. Even if it does get to the production stage it looks to be an expensive ducted fan in a turbine world.
realdeal is offline Find More Posts by realdeal
Old Feb 22, 2002, 09:05 PM
I'll fly anything...
United States, CA, Palm Springs
Joined Aug 2001
502 Posts
Suspicious

I was noticing the same thing ... both sites actually. The Harrier site has nothing to offer at all and the X-35 site has some great photos of the real plane but nothing on the model.

Is this what is called in the computer industry "vaporware" or do these guys think they are working on black projects at the SkunkWorks?
GlasairAllen is offline Find More Posts by GlasairAllen
Old Feb 23, 2002, 10:45 AM
United Kingdom, Bracknell
Joined Nov 2000
12,041 Posts
I'd say they were vapourware.

If they had a working model there would at least be a picture of it, even if they wanted to keep the tech. details secret.

My club hosted a fly-in for the GTBA (Gas Turbine Builders Association) last year and a local guy called Mick Koskela flew his .91 d/f Harrier there. He's been working on this for about 15 years so far, and finally has a model that will hover or fly forwards ... but can't do the transition.

Here's a pic.

Details & more pictures here:

http://www.edmfc.org.uk/gtba1.htm
Bill Glover is offline Find More Posts by Bill Glover
Old Feb 23, 2002, 07:24 PM
UK
Joined Mar 2000
1,197 Posts
Vapourware................

X35b....................

Wait 2 months then eat my shorts......................

Seriously though I am aware that some (maybe all of you guys out there) think that I'm all talk and no action. What can I say other than this is a very hard task to achieve and I've been at it now for about 2 years planning, procuring parts and testing various ideas (and planes, remember the X32b?). So if you dont believe me then thats fine....just remember what you said when you see my plane on the cover of RC Jet International. Nuff said.

I am suspicious about the Harrier though, and I'm NOT asking for money to fund my project, if you looked at all the pages on my site you would see that the expensive bits have been procured (3 x HP 220/30 a4 s p4 brushless motors, 3 x Shultz 35bo ESC's, 3 x Wemotec HW620 fans, 3 x Pizo gyros, 24 x 2400mAh cells matched and zapped, spring air 600 series retracts and various other bits and pieces).

As for the fact that there are no pictures, well there will be no pictures untill it hovers and the hover will be validated this summer by Chris Golds and Gordon Whitehead (Jet International and EFI columnists who happen to live close to me, thas assuming they want to see it, and I cannot think why not)

I'm not asking anybody for money for research or tooling or equipment its more a personal quest to do the electric VTOL thing. I may yet fail but its beter to try and fail than to never try at all.

You started it by saying the X35b was vapourware.....;D

Doc
Last edited by Doc Watson; Feb 23, 2002 at 08:00 PM.
Old Feb 23, 2002, 08:19 PM
United Kingdom, Bracknell
Joined Nov 2000
12,041 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Doc Watson
As for the fact that there are no pictures, well there will be no pictures untill it hovers

Why not post a few construction/installation pictures?
Bill Glover is offline Find More Posts by Bill Glover
Old Feb 24, 2002, 12:54 AM
I'll fly anything...
United States, CA, Palm Springs
Joined Aug 2001
502 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Doc Watson
Vapourware................

Wait 2 months then eat my shorts......................
---SNIP---
You started it by saying the X35b was vapourware.....;D
Doc

Doc,

I was just hoping to shake a few photos out of you

I wish you all the best in this endevour. I cant wait to see it hover.
GlasairAllen is offline Find More Posts by GlasairAllen
Old Feb 24, 2002, 03:14 PM
UK
Joined Mar 2000
1,197 Posts
Allen,

Nice try with the bait for the photos, I took the lure but spat it out (it nearly worked!!).....

Love the YF23........

Doc
Last edited by Doc Watson; Feb 24, 2002 at 03:19 PM.
Old Feb 25, 2002, 10:30 AM
Dude, where's My Plane?
Green Lane PA USA
Joined Mar 2001
2,167 Posts
I do recall seeing the now defunct X 32 framework, or flying stick last year maybe. I know Doc trashed that whole thing for the X 35 some people are just scale nuts,,,, what can you say.
Oh, Allen, if you really want to rattle Doc, post the construction of you VTOL EDF,,,,, that elll shake em into production .
JasonJ is offline Find More Posts by JasonJ
Old Feb 25, 2002, 05:13 PM
UK
Joined Mar 2000
1,197 Posts
Hey Jason thats fighting talk

Doc

(that was the stick you saw, albeit a X32b stick)
Old Jun 06, 2002, 05:32 PM
London
Joined Jul 2001
1,034 Posts
what about.....

http://www.ottawarcclub.com/ericd.htm

Pete
Peter W is offline Find More Posts by Peter W
Old Jun 07, 2002, 07:20 PM
San Diego, CA
Joined Feb 2001
284 Posts
Helium Ballon Shaped like a Harrier?

Maybe we are just thinking too much inside the box here!! A puffy indoor ballon sort of shaped like a Harrier and powered with tiny electric motors (a la Peck Polymers R/C Blimp) could conceivably fly for the 20 to 30 minutes purported and be built in 24 hours. You could sort of say that by taking off vertical and then going forward you could maybe simulate the Harrier's flight regime.

No offense to you Doc. We all know that your heavier-than-air X35 JSF is a serious engineering project. You have already proven that to us Ezoners with many progress pictures of tilt mechanisms, hardware, used appropriate Model Airplane buzzwords, etc.

In the deserts of Southern CA we have some really big "dust devils" where lawn chairs have been known to takeoff and fly for 20 minutes. Perhaps this is how the Harrier purveyor intends to accomplish such a feat with a heavier-than-air model ?

V/R

Steve Manganelli AKA Prof. Maneuver
Prof. Maneuver is offline Find More Posts by Prof. Maneuver
Old Jun 09, 2002, 11:42 PM
Shirley, New York, United States
Joined Apr 2002
250 Posts
Vaporware

Did anyone read the legal disclaimer on that top webpage (not doc's)

<<
We cannot guarantee that the communication of our intentions to produce a R/C Harrier Jump Jet will necessarily result in a saleable product, either in its current form or with modification to product or price. All depends upon the level of market interest and sustainable demand from the R/C modelling community world wide.

No liability is accepted for any reliance placed or action taken by you arising out of the content of this site or otherwise.
>>

Damn, there goes my B.S. Meter again.

Does anyone remember a VTOL that was in MAN 5 or 6 years ago? It was wet powered, mid engined. A worm drive turned the engine/prop through 90 degrees. I know, it's not a scale harrier, but I'm curious if this type of setup would be possible with an electric powerplant.

-Adam
afabio is offline Find More Posts by afabio