HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 08, 2004, 08:39 PM
Panama City, Panama
Joined Nov 2004
88 Posts
Rave
Midwest 47' Motor Life Boat

After realizing I was bored and needed a new hobby, I decided to build a model. I have built dozens (hundreds) of plastic models when I was younger, and was looking for more of a challenge. I bought the 47' Coast Guard MLB by Midwest. It arrived today, and after reading all the scale model forums (yes, all 10 pages) I figured I would go ahead and register, and document the build of my first wood kit. I was also informed I can't start it until I clear an area to build it by the boss. So I will be starting it in a week or so. I am sure I will have questions along the way, and from what I have seen, this is the place for questions to be answered. Thanks to everyone in advance!
Knotaddicted is offline Find More Posts by Knotaddicted
Last edited by Knotaddicted; Nov 17, 2004 at 09:06 PM. Reason: Construction begun
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 09, 2004, 08:26 AM
Albuquerque NM
Joined Oct 2003
8,401 Posts
Knotaddicted (sure, that's what they all say ) Anyhow, welcome aboard. Can't waite to see the progress begin.
PAT
P. Tritle is offline Find More Posts by P. Tritle
Old Nov 09, 2004, 10:06 AM
Useful Idiot
Asturias, Spain
Joined Mar 2001
3,522 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knotaddicted
I was also informed I can't start it until I clear an area to build it by the boss. So I will be starting it in a week or so.
That's why I've never made anyhthing bigger than 15"(so far )
martin richards is offline Find More Posts by martin richards
Old Nov 09, 2004, 03:17 PM
Québec city, Canada
Joined May 2004
90 Posts
The 47' lifeboat is one that is used by numerous countries.
Have you thought about the color schemes that exist for that particular L/B ? Wich country will you favor ?

Simply courious...
aeronavale is offline Find More Posts by aeronavale
Old Nov 09, 2004, 08:08 PM
Panama City, Panama
Joined Nov 2004
88 Posts
I was planning on the standard Coast Guard aluminum, as only 5 or so were painted white like the box. However, I was surfing the web and saw Canada's paint scheme, a real eye catcher, red hull with a white superstructure, and a white stripe in the same place a the Guards red and blue one. Britain also has a sharp scheme with a black hull and orange superstructure, but not as attractive as Canada's. I'll probably wait until its time to paint to decide. As always open to suggestions!!
Old Nov 13, 2004, 09:36 PM
Panama City, Panama
Joined Nov 2004
88 Posts
Construction has begun

After making room, and fixing the dryer, I have started. I have the frame almost finished, and the stuffing boxes and rudder posts installed. I also found out quickly the CA glue I bought doesn't work well on wood. Good thing I picked up some epoxy at the same time!
Old Nov 16, 2004, 06:28 AM
Panama City, Panama
Joined Nov 2004
88 Posts
A question...

I have started the hull planking, but ran into some questions. First, if I epoxy the exterior of the hull will that cause problems when I fiberglass it? I am using Hangar 9 6 min. epoxy, and Z-Poxy finishing resin for the glass. Second, will epoxy work on wet wood? One of the bow planks (1/16x3 bass wood) has a pretty severe twist in it to shape to the hull, so I am sure I will have to wet it to prevent breaking it.
Old Nov 17, 2004, 09:15 PM
Panama City, Panama
Joined Nov 2004
88 Posts
Bottom hull laid

I now have the bottom of the hull in place. I am planning on sealing the inside before I put the bow sides on. Does anyone have any suggestions for speed controls? I am planning on one per motor, for separate controls.
Old Nov 17, 2004, 09:30 PM
Albuquerque NM
Joined Oct 2003
8,401 Posts
Knot, If you're going with a 6V system, the Hitek EZX-R has done well for me. Throttle transition is smooth and uniform, in both forward and reverse -- and it's under $50.00.
PAT
Old Nov 17, 2004, 09:34 PM
Panama City, Panama
Joined Nov 2004
88 Posts
The motors that came with the kit are for 7.2V. I think they are a 500 size from what I have seen on the web page. Thanks for the input though, I'll check that one out.
Old Nov 17, 2004, 09:51 PM
Albuquerque NM
Joined Oct 2003
8,401 Posts
Knot, The EZX ESC is good up to 7 cells (8.4V) so should work fine. BTW, it also has BEC.
PAT
Old Nov 20, 2004, 07:35 AM
Western Australia
Joined Jun 2004
750 Posts
looking great man, keep the pics up!!

James
_James_ is offline Find More Posts by _James_
Old Nov 28, 2004, 12:03 PM
Panama City, Panama
Joined Nov 2004
88 Posts
Progress

After a forced break and not too much time to work, I have finally made some serious progress on the hull. I am currently shaping the balsa blocks that make the bow. Lots of sanding!! I also found some pics of the real deal, and still trying to decide the paint scheme. Any input is greatly appreciated.
Old Nov 28, 2004, 07:37 PM
KC8WPF
Euclid, Ohio, United States
Joined Sep 2004
3,677 Posts
The best source of information on the USCG 47' MLB . Lots of pictures, interior detail, overhead shots, boats on the delivery trailer, etc. Also has a list of boats and the USCG stations they were delivered to. Sometime in 2000 or 2001, the hull numbers and letters were changed from white to black.
CG Bob is online now Find More Posts by CG Bob
Last edited by CG Bob; Nov 28, 2004 at 07:41 PM.
Old Nov 29, 2004, 06:25 AM
Panama City, Panama
Joined Nov 2004
88 Posts
CG Bob, thanks for that link. I think I've seen about all of them but that one. Brings back memories of watching them train off Ilwaco. (lived there from '90 to '93). Mostly saw the 44', but I do remember seing this one, I guess it was the trial testing according to the first delivery dates.