HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by Tony Oliver, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Aug 24, 2009, 03:24 PM
depron convert
Coventry, England
Joined Jan 2009
177 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat Daily
Jerry Paisley's Buffalo
Buffalo Buffalo Buffalo!
GerbilEssences is offline Find More Posts by GerbilEssences
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 24, 2009, 10:21 PM
Joined Sep 2006
21 Posts
pburress, thanks for the kind words. With a P-Nut, you have to be careful how you add weight. I was recently looking at the original N6016D http://cdn-www.airliners.net/aviatio.../9/0897934.jpg and wished I made the oleo strut more compressed. But at least I made an attempt at it.
Tom Nied is offline Find More Posts by Tom Nied
Old Aug 25, 2009, 01:11 PM
Joined Jul 2009
85 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Nied
My Piper Tri-Pacer built from Mooney plans. 5.3 grams
That's a real looker! Did you use the Walt M Piper Colt plan as a starting point? Your model is very realistic, and having the photo documentation in your link shows a very close resemblance. Nice job.

Could you provide some details about your covering job and trim color application. Thanks!
IndoorFlyerABQ is online now Find More Posts by IndoorFlyerABQ
Old Aug 27, 2009, 04:09 PM
Joined Sep 2006
21 Posts
IndoorFlyerABQ, thanks. Yes I did use Walt Mooney's Piper P.A. 22-108 Colt Peanut plan, dated 3-15-70. Looks like I added the rear windows.

The covering is Gampi tissue applied dry using the butyrate dope method. Two coats of Sig Litecoat diluted 50/50 with thinner is applied to the frame edges. Sanded lightly after it has dried. Then when the tissue is placed on the frame, with a small brush, thinner is brushed over the tissue only where the tissue touches the frame. The thinner soaks through and softens the dried dope, making it sticky and the tissue is pushed down on the part. Sometimes a small dab of dope is needed to get the tissue to stick, but most of the time it sticks. Once I'm happy the tissue is adhered and the excess has been trimmed, the tissue is very gently misted with Isopropyl alcohol. I usually spray into the air above the part and let the particles just gently fall onto the part. The shrinking of the tissue has to be done very carefully, warps can easily sneak in. I like to do opposing sides simultaneously if I can. For color the tissue was gently sprayed with an air brush with artists latex paint that I thin out with water to almost the consistency of milk. I buy that paint at craft stores like Michaels. It's fairly inexpensive compared to hobby shop prices for paint and dries water insoluble. Masking has to be done very carefully. Sometimes just cut paper with rubber cement. I'm sure I used some of that blue painters masking tape, but do yourself a favor, experiment on either a test structure or old airplane. This far into the construction is a bad time to screw things up. When I start a model like this, I like to make what I call some warm-up frames. Its a little extra work but it kind of gets you up to speed when you really have to get things right on the model. Some carefully placed ink lines help it as well. But a small airbrush really allows one to get the paint on thin. You have to make every effort in a Peanut to get it light. Hope that helps.
Last edited by Tom Nied; Aug 27, 2009 at 04:29 PM.
Old Aug 28, 2009, 12:13 AM
Joined Jul 2009
85 Posts
Thanks! That's very good info--the use of artists' latex really opens up the color palette. I'll have to give that a try.
Old Aug 28, 2009, 07:35 AM
Joined Sep 2006
21 Posts
I meant to say artists acrylic paints like these. http://www.michaels.com/art/online/d...ductNum=cp0294 And yes, that opens a wide palette for color. They mix well if you need a special color and clean up is with soap and water.
Old Aug 28, 2009, 09:17 AM
Joined Jul 2009
85 Posts
That's really funny--in my reply, I typed acrylics, then went back and edited my post after rereading your description. I guess I thought you said acrylics the first time. Anyway, YES, it's acrylics, and I have some on hand that I will have to experiment with...
Old Aug 28, 2009, 06:23 PM
Joined Sep 2006
21 Posts
I was re reading my reply and had the horror thought that some guy was going to open a gallon of paint he had left over from painting the living room. Ha! Those paints might work, but we don't have to go that cheap. Only if you want to know the difference follow this link http://dundean.com/tips_what_is_latex_paint.shtml When I buy Artists acrylic, it usually comes in those bottles like you saw in my earlier post for just over $2. Funny in my brain while I was typing latex = acrylic, but there are some significant differences.

Now one more idea. I once knew a guy who colored his tissue with chalk. I asked him how he kept it on the tissue and I remember him saying he guessed gravity was holding it.

When I was airbrushing with artists acrylic, I would spray very fine almost transparant coats. Letting them dry and then applying more light coats until I got to the opacity I could live with. Less is more. It dries so quick, you can pause and watch it dry. Always enjoyed that.

I noticed Harbor Freight has a pretty economical brush.
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=47791 or
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=95810
They're probably not the best, but I bet they work just fine for our purposes, just add an air source.

I apologize, I'll stop my yapping. Email me for any further question. I didn't mean to hijack this forum.
Last edited by Tom Nied; Aug 28, 2009 at 08:51 PM.
Old Aug 28, 2009, 06:36 PM
Australia, NSW, Mona Vale
Joined May 2002
5,441 Posts
Eleven posts of OT chatter and no pics.
oldpilot is offline Find More Posts by oldpilot
Old Aug 31, 2009, 04:11 AM
Gold Coast Australia.
Joined Jan 2005
2,500 Posts
Veron ducted fan SABRE.

Just finished the Veron SABRE.
Cox TD 049 power with a Veron fan. 280g/under 10oz ready to fly.

It's modeled 'loosely' on the magnificent RAAF Sabre just restored at Temora Museum NSW. (Do a Google and check it out)
I was fortunate enough to be able to see it some time ago being restored.
gossie is offline Find More Posts by gossie
Old Sep 05, 2009, 04:45 AM
The windy west coast of Sweden
Joined Sep 2008
2,958 Posts
Swedish Championship Oldtimer F/F 090822

Unfortunately I was unable to go there myself this year, but here are links to a VIDEO ...and to some PHOTOS

Enjoy !
Gluehand is online now Find More Posts by Gluehand
Old Sep 05, 2009, 08:39 AM
Ajax, Ontario, Canada
Joined Oct 2004
2,580 Posts
Enjoy I did! Good photos and an above-average movie; obviously superb conditions and a good flying site.

Also enjoyed seeing long time friends (over 40 years) Sven-Olov Linden and Sten Persson; please say 'Hi' for me if you meet or are in touch. Also Gunnar Wivardsson.

JM
Applehoney is offline Find More Posts by Applehoney
Old Sep 05, 2009, 11:07 AM
carbondale il
Joined Jan 2007
2,557 Posts
What a great movie. I'm getting exposed to new free flight stuff and learning a lot. That's a large field there. The largest field I've been going to isn't near that size. My comment about it being big enough for any free flight awhile back wouldn't hold water for those long high flights!

Kev
kevin matthews is offline Find More Posts by kevin matthews
Old Sep 05, 2009, 05:15 PM
Gold Coast Australia.
Joined Jan 2005
2,500 Posts
Thanks for sharing. All my sort of models. Good field. Good weather too.
gossie is offline Find More Posts by gossie
Old Sep 09, 2009, 04:43 PM
Intermediate Multi
Columbus, OH
Joined Mar 2005
3,293 Posts
My father built this rubber powered Focke-Wulf Fw.56 Stößer in Germany in the '30s:
Trisquire is offline Find More Posts by Trisquire
Last edited by Trisquire; Sep 11, 2009 at 07:37 AM.