HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by Tony Oliver, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Sep 14, 2008, 05:53 PM
Gold Coast Australia.
Joined Jan 2005
2,536 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cavier
i have just looked through all the pages and pics
grear stuff.
how come nobody has posted any pics of the Big stuff.
GYSOB with a K B 45
or a Sattllite 1300 with a Nelson 65

now when you crank that up you have your hands full.
REAL model airplanes----without doubt.
Have the GYSOB plan here in the Model Builder mag---a guy here 30 odd years ago trimmed one using RC as was too scared to just let it loose FF.
I have an ST 29 powered 'whatsit'---it's bit of a beast and plenty noisy.
Whatsit by the way is a bit of this and that. Might take get it out and take a pic one day-----plus the old F1C models. Mmmmm I may have put them in here????
There is a guy in Sydney has a McCoy60 powered Civy Boy being trimmed/flown at the moment.
(Rob, would you have a pic there of it?)
gossie is offline Find More Posts by gossie
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 14, 2008, 06:37 PM
Ajax, Ontario, Canada
Joined Oct 2004
2,611 Posts
>Because the leaning is towards 'sport' rather than competition

It is?

Competition is sport, anyway .. great sport! But please don't call me a 'sportsman' - that's just an affectation of the FAI enthusiasts, brought upon them by that organisation.

Some say 'sport models' are for fun flying - if it wasn't fun to do so we wouldn't be flying competition models, would we? Gossie?? ....
Applehoney is online now Find More Posts by Applehoney
Old Sep 14, 2008, 07:13 PM
Nyuk nyuk nyuk
Joined Jan 2008
81 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Applehoney
QUOTE=Doncrashum

"The 'Mini-Hobbies" ... popular little airplane amngst the members of the Small Flying Arts' group."

Im building the Mini-Hobbies. What are the rubber/prop specs on yours? Do I need a dt? If so itd have to let the le of the hstab drop down cause the elevator/framework is in the way. Hrmmmm......
"Wow, it was December 2005 when I posted that!

Don, the Mini-Hobbies is a great little small-field flyer, solidly built, in that it climbs fast but also comes down fairly quickly when the glide sets in. It's a fun airplane to fly and quite a number have been built and flown by others.

Having said that, a good thermal will take any model. I've built three, one was abandoned in a huge cornfield and the others were eventually lost to thermals .. and I've heard of a couple of others similarly departing. None had a d/t but were I to build another then I'd probably use a tip-up LE wing if I considered the need.

I've always used 9" props carved from the blank shown on the plan but no doubt commercial plastics of 8-9" would do okay; maybe a Czech P30 prop trimmed to diameter. Motors varied from 5-6 grammes in general, but much depended upon what happened to be at hand and it/they were certainly flown on heavier ones of various strand sizes; probably 4x1/8" or 6x 3/32" were commonly used

Have fun with it!
Jim[/QUOTE]

GREAT!!!!!!!!!! I just got 50 feet of 1/8" Sig Sport rubber.
Doncrashum is offline Find More Posts by Doncrashum
Last edited by Doncrashum; Sep 14, 2008 at 08:37 PM.
Old Sep 14, 2008, 11:30 PM
Gold Coast Australia.
Joined Jan 2005
2,536 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Applehoney
>Because the leaning is towards 'sport' rather than competition

It is?

Competition is sport, anyway .. great sport! But please don't call me a 'sportsman' - that's just an affectation of the FAI enthusiasts, brought upon them by that organisation.

Some say 'sport models' are for fun flying - if it wasn't fun to do so we wouldn't be flying competition models, would we? Gossie?? ....
It is 'sport', even though those that don't fly freeflight or have no idea of what's involved would or may disagree.
People run marathons on a Sunday morning, and that's sport.
Go fly 7 rounds of F1C in a still breeze and it's not much different than doing a marathon-----is it? I can well remember when I was mad keen, and probably madder than keen, flying 7 rounds of F1C as well as 7 rounds of F1A all in the same morning, then coming home to play tennis in the afternoon.
Tell the tennis friends you were on the field at the crack of dawn and what you did, and you got a funny look----tell 'em you ran a marathon-----well now, would that not be different?

To me freeflight style models are the 'fun', without doubt.
Old Sep 15, 2008, 04:57 AM
NSWFFS
Richmond NSW Oz
Joined Apr 2005
706 Posts
Amen gossie,

FF is a good walk made interesting

Cheers,
Rob
McGiver is offline Find More Posts by McGiver
Old Sep 15, 2008, 06:31 AM
flight999
England
Joined Dec 2002
2,344 Posts
In other words we are all too old
these days to run marathons or
fly F1(A,B, or C), but many of us
keep going with vintage F/F and
motors which are not powerhouses.
There are too many restrictions,
both physical and legislative, these
days where most of us have to fly
-if we are allowed to at all that is.

Still have a K&B 40 pylon that I once
had in a o.d. open power model but
don't think pictures or writeup would
be appropriate here. 'Sides it's history
now. Them were the days. As a
friend keeps saying "Nostalgia ain't wot
it used to be".

Don't know what it is like elsewhere, but
here even the 1:1, private flying, types
appear to be grey heads.
flight999 is offline Find More Posts by flight999
Old Sep 15, 2008, 07:06 AM
Gold Coast Australia.
Joined Jan 2005
2,536 Posts
There's no way I'm too old to fly in particular F1C/Open Power or even a 'hot' vintage power model----or anything else.
Sure, I'm getting long in the tooth, having been born pre WW2, but I can still run and you should have seen me leading the pack of jetskiers yesterday on a long run I organised via our website in very choppy conditions at high speed. 60mph plus.
I'm fit and well but there 'ain't' no decent fields near me is one of the reasons I've not been flying competition in the last couple of years as well as a couple of personal issues I have with people in the club I used to belong to----I am still financial though via another FF club and may even go to our Nationals this coming Christmas with some old models to compete, but mainly have fun in the sun with people of a like mind I've known since Adam was a boy.
Old Sep 15, 2008, 09:48 AM
Ajax, Ontario, Canada
Joined Oct 2004
2,611 Posts
>there 'ain't' no decent fields near me is one of the reasons I've not been flying competition in the last couple of years

Which is much my situation in Ontario, now - nowhere to trim/fly a contest model to its full potential and no competitions. I'm restricted to three trips across the border annually to fly events at Geneseo - close to 250 miles by road (and only 76 miles as the crow flys across the lake, according to my GPS) and have had to miss a couple this year due to restrictions following the heart attack .. but I'm now packing airplanes and equipment ready to leave Thursday morning; four power, five rubber, one glider. Three days of flying - Hallelujah!!

By the way, Gossie, my teeth are a little longer .. but I quit running after models over 40 years ago when J O'D pointed out that retrieval was much more reliable if one remained at launch site, saw the model down for a good sightline and maybe compass bearing. Advent of compass binoculars later combined the two requirements, and then a tracking system took almost all the uncertainties out of fetching and carrying.

Flight - put that KB.40 back into the air!
Old Sep 15, 2008, 04:35 PM
Gold Coast Australia.
Joined Jan 2005
2,536 Posts
I know a lot of us older freeflighters that 'did it all' as such way back and over the years at good fields that were readily available do miss a decent quick easy to get to place to fly-----but it really is no longer unless one perhaps moved out of the 'big smoke'.
That's something I don't wish to do as the days and nights are filled with other interests that keep me well occupied all the time.
I do have the very big park to fly in as well as the 'trimming' field a short drive from here.

The J O'D way of getting your model is used here, but no way it's my way THANKYOU.
I like to launch and chase at a steady jog---always have and always will as long as the legs allow it I guess.

Have a great time away 'freeflighting' Jim, and PLENTY of pics PLEASE.
Old Sep 15, 2008, 05:49 PM
flight999
England
Joined Dec 2002
2,344 Posts
Gossie, long may your lum reek!

Jim, I am still going strong in some sections when it is calm, which isn't often as you may remember! Don't follow the contest scene any more though Had your 'problem' a few years back which took the legs off speed use.

I combine the J'oD method with Jack North's use of an open rubber winding tube to spot the landing point. But running.......... it's a no, no.

That rear exhaust 40 is kinda loud. Got a few others though. Had to put an 049 in the 'Weaver. Never went to an 09. Heads are a bit difficult these days, so is nitro. Too many EEC regulations and R/C dealers.
Old Sep 16, 2008, 08:08 PM
Joined Dec 2004
239 Posts
the Walston retreval system seems to have worked best for me and the guys i used to fly with.
for chaseing on the field nothing beats a good four wheeler and the Walston retreval system.
a friend of mine used the one i had and he forgot to light his D T fuse and the plane landed three miles aweay.
he found it with the Walston system.
Don.
of all the different modeling i have done over the past 50 plus years i liked Free Flight The BEST.
cavier is offline Find More Posts by cavier
Old Sep 17, 2008, 12:19 AM
carbondale il
Joined Jan 2007
2,624 Posts
It's depressing knowing some of you guys are having trouble getting to a great flying field where you can crank up your planes to full power. I have a similar problem. I don't drive and my friend who has been taking me and a few planes at a time to the largest field in the area has not been feeling well. The Walston retreval system sounds like a must have, where can I find out more, and who sells them?

Kevin
kevin matthews is online now Find More Posts by kevin matthews
Old Sep 17, 2008, 03:52 AM
flight999
England
Joined Dec 2002
2,344 Posts
4 wheels would be nice. Not allowed here.
Two are sometimes banned also and
certainly no motors except on made roads.
Old Sep 17, 2008, 10:31 AM
Ajax, Ontario, Canada
Joined Oct 2004
2,611 Posts
Kevin, trust me .. you're not ready to need to spend big bucks on a Walston system yet. Later, maybe ....

http://www.walstonretrieval.com/main.htm
Old Sep 17, 2008, 10:35 AM
Ajax, Ontario, Canada
Joined Oct 2004
2,611 Posts
>Two are sometimes banned also and certainly no motors except on made roads.

Flight, is ANY motorised retrieval allowed in Britian now? Always used to be a choice of a bicycle or shanks pony since about 45+ years ago, as far as I recall, when the SMAE banned anything else.