SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
This thread is privately moderated by Tony Oliver, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Aug 11, 2008, 10:46 PM
Free Flight rubber flyer
United States, GA, Warner Robins
Joined Mar 2005
507 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Applehoney
US Open Rubber - you mean Mulvihill? One-flight event? Three initial flights with progressive maximums ...
Nope. Dawn Unlimited. At the moment, Mulvihill is not the event for me as it pretty much demands a chase bike and radio tracker to even make it through the first three flights. I have neither resources nor desire to obtain such things at the moment, as there are many items in my life of far higher priority. Thus I like Unlimited because it's only one flight. Mess up, and you're just out that one flight. On the other hand, everything rests on that one flight!
jwfinn is offline Find More Posts by jwfinn
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 12, 2008, 01:19 AM
Joined Apr 2004
355 Posts
My glider Tree

You just MUST love a tree that blooms with these "flowers"!
Aphorism's Dream is offline Find More Posts by Aphorism's Dream
Old Aug 12, 2008, 04:45 AM
carbondale il
Joined Jan 2007
2,625 Posts
Kenner-Boy, Your FlyBoy looks real good. I've been thinking about building one. I have limited space to keep my finished models and this one is some what small, at least untill I get boxes to store them in. It looks like it is going to fly well, too. I've also been thinking about building a One Nite 16 and a PrairieBird, both available from Pecks' and small.

Kevin
kevin matthews is offline Find More Posts by kevin matthews
Old Aug 12, 2008, 09:13 PM
Joined Jul 2008
33 Posts
Haha, I wish it flew well. It needs a lot of tweaking. A LOT! I am in and out of town here for the next week or two so I have to put models off to the side while I figure stuff out. Hopefully I'll be able to get a good flight out of it one day Thanks Kevin
Kenner-Boy is offline Find More Posts by Kenner-Boy
Old Aug 31, 2008, 02:02 PM
Joined Jun 2008
45 Posts
trees are pretty annoying, "that tree hit my plane!"
jpan is offline Find More Posts by jpan
Old Aug 31, 2008, 02:15 PM
Coventry, UK
Joined Aug 2008
76 Posts
My first ever model, good times
Unfortunately, this is the only picture I have of it:
GeorgeC525 is offline Find More Posts by GeorgeC525
Old Sep 08, 2008, 08:22 PM
Nyuk nyuk nyuk
Joined Jan 2008
81 Posts
Mini-Hobbies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Applehoney
A couple of small rubber models -

The 'Mini-Hobbies" ... popular little airplane amngst the members of the Small Flying Arts' group.

The Johnson "High Performance Sportster" from 1950. 20". 15gms.
Im building the Mini-Hobbies. What are the rubber/prop specs on yours? I got the v/hstab done and covered and the right fuselage side is on the building board. Do I need a dt? If so itd have to let the le of the hstab drop down cause the elevator/framework is in the way. Hrmmmm......
Doncrashum is offline Find More Posts by Doncrashum
Old Sep 12, 2008, 09:39 PM
Joined Apr 2007
18 Posts
First part self design

Hopefully this picture works....

This is my first attempt at partly designing my own model. I used the plans from a West Wings Topaz to build the wing, modifying the wing to be polyhedral. The fuselage and wing support are my basic design. Has anyone else designed their own model ? I'm sure that some have much more advanced designs than mine.

The tail surfaces are 1/16 sheet balsa. Covering is leftover tissue that came with the Topaz kit.

It flies well. Rubber is two loops of 1/8 and powers the model for a fair time. After that it does some nice gliding.
swik is offline Find More Posts by swik
Old Sep 13, 2008, 05:17 AM
flight999
England
Joined Dec 2002
2,344 Posts
You are on the right track for REAL modeling.
Not a bad first effort at all. Pretty image too.
That you are pleased with its performance is
proof of success in its own right. Hope to see
more in the future.

Think you will find most of the wrinklies here
have all built their own designs
flight999 is offline Find More Posts by flight999
Old Sep 13, 2008, 09:49 AM
Ajax, Ontario, Canada
Joined Oct 2004
2,611 Posts
QUOTE=Doncrashum

"The 'Mini-Hobbies" ... popular little airplane amngst the members of the Small Flying Arts' group."

Im building the Mini-Hobbies. What are the rubber/prop specs on yours? Do I need a dt? If so itd have to let the le of the hstab drop down cause the elevator/framework is in the way. Hrmmmm......[/QUOTE]

Wow, it was December 2005 when I posted that!

Don, the Mini-Hobbies is a great little small-field flyer, solidly built, in that it climbs fast but also comes down fairly quickly when the glide sets in. It's a fun airplane to fly and quite a number have been built and flown by others.

Having said that, a good thermal will take any model. I've built three, one was abandoned in a huge cornfield and the others were eventually lost to thermals .. and I've heard of a couple of others similarly departing. None had a d/t but were I to build another then I'd probably use a tip-up LE wing if I considered the need.

I've always used 9" props carved from the blank shown on the plan but no doubt commercial plastics of 8-9" would do okay; maybe a Czech P30 prop trimmed to diameter. Motors varied from 5-6 grammes in general, but much depended upon what happened to be at hand and it/they were certainly flown on heavier ones of various strand sizes; probably 4x1/8" or 6x 3/32" were commonly used

Have fun with it!
Jim
Applehoney is offline Find More Posts by Applehoney
Last edited by Applehoney; Sep 13, 2008 at 10:01 AM.
Old Sep 13, 2008, 11:22 AM
Joined Apr 2007
18 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flight999
You are on the right track for REAL modeling.
Not a bad first effort at all. Pretty image too.
That you are pleased with its performance is
proof of success in its own right. Hope to see
more in the future.

Think you will find most of the wrinklies here
have all built their own designs
Thanks for the compliments, flight999.
I think that designing your own model is a challenge that helps you to learn things you would not pick up when building from a kit.
swik is offline Find More Posts by swik
Old Sep 13, 2008, 04:53 PM
flight999
England
Joined Dec 2002
2,344 Posts
Quite right. A kit or two to start with
so you can see how they go together
and spread your wings.

Go for it.
Old Sep 13, 2008, 07:57 PM
carbondale il
Joined Jan 2007
2,625 Posts
swik, I've designed a few planes and scratch built them. After four trys for a 12 1/2" wing span plane to compete in the Legal Eagle class competition I finally built "The One". It flys really well. Then I built the same design at 200% just because I thought that would be great. It flys pretty well but it's not in the duration plane class. Although it's a lot of work designing and drawing the plan for a self designed plane it's also very rewarding when it flys. I've also designed a few when I was starting out that didn't fly well due to a lack of knowledge that I have now thanks to the guys with the answers on this forum. Who knows, maybe you'll come up with a design worthy of kitting.

Kevin
kevin matthews is offline Find More Posts by kevin matthews
Old Sep 14, 2008, 01:27 PM
Joined Dec 2004
239 Posts
i have just looked through all the pages and pics
grear stuff.
how come nobody has posted any pics of the Big stuff.
GYSOB with a K B 45
or a Sattllite 1300 with a Nelson 65

now when you crank that up you have your hands full.
cavier is offline Find More Posts by cavier
Old Sep 14, 2008, 04:31 PM
flight999
England
Joined Dec 2002
2,344 Posts
Because the leaning is towards 'sport' rather
than competition and also towards silent flight.

One could not call a Mills75 noisy even unsilenced.