SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
This thread is privately moderated by Tony Oliver, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Feb 02, 2005, 10:06 AM
Ajax, Ontario, Canada
Joined Oct 2004
2,615 Posts
A rare occurrence Monday afternoon - not only sunny and warm (-4C, about 24F) but CALM .. got me out of the house to a field for the first time since September/October .... got some first flights on a 20" "Chad 20", British design from 1942, hopefully to use in FAC 'Two-Bit' events this year. It was so good to have a model in the air again.....
Applehoney is online now Find More Posts by Applehoney
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 02, 2005, 01:03 PM
North-East England
Joined Mar 2002
3,402 Posts
Nice model Jim, and that winding/model holder stand - very professional. Smaller model than it looks too (the winder gives it away).
Tony Oliver is offline Find More Posts by Tony Oliver
Old Feb 02, 2005, 01:52 PM
Ajax, Ontario, Canada
Joined Oct 2004
2,615 Posts
Those 10:1 winders will JUST take a 10gr P30 motor (6 strands 1/8") but they tend to grunt a bit at full winds/torque .. getting to their extreme limit.
Old Feb 02, 2005, 05:10 PM
North-East England
Joined Mar 2002
3,402 Posts
I'll stick to 41thou with mine! They were really a superb innovation. My old indoor winder was clumsy and you had to count the turns.

Old Feb 02, 2005, 06:08 PM
Southwest Missouri
Joined Oct 2002
1,354 Posts
Great looking bunch of models. Makes me crave the rubber powered stuff and gliders of my youth.
mode1 is offline Find More Posts by mode1
Old Feb 02, 2005, 07:45 PM
Ajax, Ontario, Canada
Joined Oct 2004
2,615 Posts
>Makes me crave the rubber powered stuff and gliders of my youth.

Why crave them, Model1? They build just the same way now as they did then, whenever your youth was .... time to recapture it!
Old Feb 02, 2005, 08:05 PM
Gold Coast Australia.
Joined Jan 2005
2,537 Posts
Nice model, and what a beautifull sight-----all that snow. Been 13 years since l've seen the white stuff, we used to ski when we lived in Melbourne, before we moved to sunny Queensland. lt's 30c here today.
PS Hope to get some old models out soon, take some pics and with all the help and detailed instructions you guys gave, will get them on. Wish me luck.
gossie is offline Find More Posts by gossie
Old Feb 03, 2005, 04:39 AM
North-East England
Joined Mar 2002
3,402 Posts
Model1 - that's why we're, in the main, back into freeflight. Some of us - like Appplehoney - never got away in the first place. Methinks he got it right!

Get building something - try a model you were happy with in the past. You'll be surprised at what a good job you can make of it now you have those years of other modelling behind you.
Old Feb 03, 2005, 11:58 AM
Southwest Missouri
Joined Oct 2002
1,354 Posts
I built almost all of the Comet kits as a kid. Built a thermic100 (I think that was the name), and lost it OOS on the first tow. Had many Sparkys. Lots of these kinds of kits available at my local small food store. A dollar got several kits and small silver tubes of glue. Also built many other brands of stick and tissue kits of the 50s-60s. loads of fun.
I was too small built/poor for football/basketball/baseball so spent much time building/flying models. Never met in person any other modeler interested in the none-powered stuff. So I got into powered freeflight and controlline. Then radio control. Pattern/IMAC. Had enjoyment but always missed the models I built when younger.

Something special about the delicate building-trimming-flying the slow flying, quiet models. They talked to me in a way the others have not.

Guess that is why I started building the small electrics. Can walk to the local schoolyard and have some "escape" time. No loading a hundred pounds of equipment into a truck, driving several miles, unloading, waiting for a turn to fly. Clean up the mess. Head back.

After I move into a different house (retiring)in the spring I might try once more to build a small rubber powered bird and recapture a long silent flight at dusk or dawn. Sometimes mesmerizing watching the sun shinning through the delicate structure floating overhead. Never forgot.
mode1 is offline Find More Posts by mode1
Old Feb 03, 2005, 12:53 PM
North-East England
Joined Mar 2002
3,402 Posts
Promise to post some pics when you get there?
Old Feb 22, 2005, 12:22 PM
Planet Jupiter
Joined Jan 2005
1,746 Posts
Heres what i built out of my old edge540 shockflyer And worlds longest flying paper airplane
bamm is offline Find More Posts by bamm
Old Feb 23, 2005, 10:59 PM
Hey Now
Cocoa Beach, Florida
Joined Feb 2004
2,655 Posts
My indoor FF

Here's one of my indoor FF models
speleopower is offline Find More Posts by speleopower
Old Mar 09, 2005, 10:43 PM
Chandler Az.
Joined Nov 2004
40 Posts
Butterfly

Butterfly RTF scraping the ceiling of my living room.
BLADEFLYR is offline Find More Posts by BLADEFLYR
Old Mar 09, 2005, 11:18 PM
Chandler Az.
Joined Nov 2004
40 Posts
XP-75 bare bones

Curtiss XP-75 Prototype 1936. Now flying, but still in trimming stage.
BLADEFLYR is offline Find More Posts by BLADEFLYR
Old Mar 10, 2005, 04:06 AM
North-East England
Joined Mar 2002
3,402 Posts
The Butterfly is a real fun model. I've got two of them. One was the rtf version, then I bought the kit, would you believe (no rtf available at the time) and it flies noticeably better than the rtf.

UK Nationals have a hangar available in the evening to fly f/f - only a wall of netting separates us from the bar, but if you trim the model right, it will fly over the net and you get the best of both worlds.