SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
This thread is privately moderated by Tony Oliver, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Jan 21, 2005, 01:03 PM
Ajax, Ontario, Canada
Joined Oct 2004
2,591 Posts
KeilKraft 'Senator' built for the Postal event.
Applehoney is online now Find More Posts by Applehoney
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 21, 2005, 01:10 PM
Sir Jasper
Christchurch - New Zealand
Joined Jan 2003
787 Posts
Nice Jim.
What's the weight? Do you and Kev both carve your own props?
I have been thinking of building one for some time now.
Have plans for "Lulu" sitting on the board as well just waiting for some spare time....
Mark

PS - do you have DT in it?
zl3vml is offline Find More Posts by zl3vml
Last edited by zl3vml; Jan 21, 2005 at 01:13 PM. Reason: DT question
Old Jan 21, 2005, 06:01 PM
Gold Coast Australia.
Joined Jan 2005
2,504 Posts
Looks great, and light. They are THE most amazing flyers.
So what's it weigh????????? l sent you some time ago pics of my 2 and weights am interested to compare. lf you still have the pics you are welcome to put them on here if you wish. Sending me nuts can't get pic's on, may have to call up a 'puter guru.
gossie is offline Find More Posts by gossie
Old Jan 21, 2005, 06:55 PM
Ajax, Ontario, Canada
Joined Oct 2004
2,591 Posts
>What's the weight? Do you and Kev both carve your own props?

57grammes inclusive of tracker Tx. Senators usually require some nose ballast but I think I've evaded that, this time. Carved props - yes. DT - yes; tipping wing.
Build the 'Lulu' ....

>l sent you some time ago pics of my 2 and weights

Howard, no longer have them - but if you send 'em again I can put them up for you.
Old Jan 21, 2005, 07:05 PM
Sir Jasper
Christchurch - New Zealand
Joined Jan 2003
787 Posts
Hmm, very good - thanks.
Can you indulge some info on the tracker Tx?

Mark
zl3vml is offline Find More Posts by zl3vml
Old Jan 21, 2005, 11:39 PM
Ajax, Ontario, Canada
Joined Oct 2004
2,591 Posts
>some info on the tracker Tx?

Not much to give - it's nothing as advanced or efficient as a Walston which will track a model into the far distance. . I purchased a couple of small 'bugs' from the effects of a deceased modeller and use them in conjunction with a cheap Radio Shack scanner and a pair of good compass-equipped binoculars. The latter are essential to establish and follow a bearing to where the model was seen to touch down and the bug starts to make its presence known from about 100 yards and so serves to help home in to it when it's in deep bush, corn, deep grass etc. Though not 'state of the art' it has helped me retrieve safely on many occasions but it doesn't serve much purpose if the model goes OOS high in the air - that's where a Walston would come into its own.
I now have a GPS for further assistance .. if I can only work out how to use the damn thing!
Old Jan 22, 2005, 12:05 AM
Gold Coast Australia.
Joined Jan 2005
2,504 Posts
GPS----very handy. One of the guys in our club has a small hand held unit that was not a lot of money and a year or so ago when l lost the red and black Senator in dense bush land, he stood where l launched and set it up to a tree l knew the model flew over about a kilometre down wind. We walked though all sorts of rubbish for over an hour keeping the line the unit told us to. l almost stepped on the model, we were right on line and could never have found it otherwise.
Old Jan 22, 2005, 07:58 AM
Nova Scotia Canada
Joined Jan 2004
1,020 Posts
Never go flying without a compass and a topo map (preferably 1:10,000 scale). read the wind direction as precisely as you can, plot the wind direction on the map and follow. (assuming navigable terraine).

As one who does a lot of bush work in mineral exploration, my standby for over 40 years has been the basic Silva Ranger (or Suunto equivalent) with declination adjustment. Don't get too carried away with fancy expensive compasses which were designed for office people and only seem to work in offices.
I've had models found within 100 metres of the plotted line after a 12 km flight.
GPS can be good for tracking where you have searched, especially if you have an active map display.
John O'Sullivan ( leaving in a few days, the balmy current -33 deg Nova Scotia temps for a month or more in the real cool of Northern Manitoba on a drilling job.)
John O'Sullivan is offline Find More Posts by John O'Sullivan
Old Jan 22, 2005, 12:59 PM
Ajax, Ontario, Canada
Joined Oct 2004
2,591 Posts
On behalf of 'Gossie' .. here's his pic of his two 'Senator's, now awaiting their flights in the Senator Postal (right, Howard? )
Old Jan 22, 2005, 01:07 PM
Ajax, Ontario, Canada
Joined Oct 2004
2,591 Posts
... and while we have Howard in mind, his "Ladybird" and "Ladybird Special" biplanes. "Ladybird" was published in Aero Modeller in the late '540s - a boxy but attractive rubber-powered design which does fly very well. (I once built a 22" scaled version for a specific event and it was a cute little model to fly).

"Ladybird Special" - by the same designer, H.J.Pridmore - followed a couple of years later; a very elegant biplane with a shapely stringered fuselage and curvaceous wings, designed for the E.D. Bee 1cc diesel. Howard uses a Mills 1.3 in his version
Old Jan 22, 2005, 01:10 PM
Ajax, Ontario, Canada
Joined Oct 2004
2,591 Posts
... and a "Madcap" designed by Vic Smeed. A somewhat portly design which flys just as well as all the other models that Vic is famed for ....
Old Jan 22, 2005, 01:47 PM
sensitive artsy type
Tucker, Georgia, United States
Joined Feb 2004
3,167 Posts
Very very nice. Love the bipes.
Treetop is online now Find More Posts by Treetop
Old Jan 22, 2005, 06:13 PM
Gold Coast Australia.
Joined Jan 2005
2,504 Posts
Thanks Jim, your a champion. Must get pics problem sorted out at this end, then l can boar you all to death with heaps of 'em. LOL. Re. Senator times, our first flying day for '05 is on the 13/2 so praying for a good day------it's summer, hot, and can be stormy here, so who knows. ln actual fact the winter in Queensland is by far the best---22c---25c, calm conditions, best time for free flighting and out in the ocean on our ski's. We had friends from Charlotte North Carolina visit us last July, they could not believe how good it was. Sorry guys, will probably get kicked of the site now.
Old Jan 23, 2005, 10:07 AM
North-East England
Joined Mar 2002
3,402 Posts
You call that 'winter'? We're lucky if it gets there in summer. We're breaking icicles from the wingtips at the moment.

Tony Oliver is offline Find More Posts by Tony Oliver
Old Jan 27, 2005, 04:06 AM
Gold Coast Australia.
Joined Jan 2005
2,504 Posts
Applehoney's SENATOR weighs 57 grams and saw 'somewhere else' a nice bumble bee looking one was 54 or was it 55 grams, at least l'm in the ballpark, the red and black one is 58 grams by the scales today and it's been flown and even lost at one stage.
The other one is over 70 grams, has a 12inch prop. and l reckon flys as well as the light one. Maybe not in dead conditions though. Seldom 'dead' here.