HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by Tony Oliver, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Nov 16, 2004, 12:18 PM
United States, VA, Chesterfield
Joined Mar 2001
5,338 Posts
In flight
Pat Daily is offline Find More Posts by Pat Daily
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 16, 2004, 03:13 PM
Ajax, Ontario, Canada
Joined Oct 2004
2,569 Posts
Great shot, Pat!
Applehoney is offline Find More Posts by Applehoney
Old Nov 16, 2004, 03:21 PM
Ajax, Ontario, Canada
Joined Oct 2004
2,569 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyo
The particular plans I need to build are Mini-Weaver (I can't find mine anywhere, despite having built three)
Tony, I can help you with that - snag is, I made my about-monthly visit to the copy shop just yesterday .... but if you're in a hurry for it then a return trip can be arranged, I only go infrequently to take advantage of getting as much as possible for the minimum fee they charge! Would need your address, of course, either PM or Email

I knew Dave Posner fairly well and am familiar with the Dream Weavers he flew so successfully but never heard of anyone having much luck with the Mini-Weaver. The fact you've built three seems to indicate otherwise.
Old Nov 17, 2004, 04:46 PM
troy NY
Joined Feb 2003
93 Posts
Very nice model, Pat! I love the navy colours. Is that Falcon the insignia for the old Thunderbirds or Thundercats? I'm thinking of the old books.
Kevin
moon is offline Find More Posts by moon
Old Nov 17, 2004, 05:17 PM
North-East England
Joined Mar 2002
3,400 Posts
Mini Weaver I had was fairly successful, but instead of the TeeDee 049 I used an 09 on 30% nitromethane Cox fuel (you could actually buy it then of course) and an autorudder - in Open. The climb was vertical with no turn or roll. Cg about 3/4 inch in front of the t/e hence the need of autorudder. It easily outclimbed the 049 models and was well up with the 2.5cc ones.

I also built a 1.3 x version with some mods for open. It was considerably lighter than the Dream Weaver. That also was a high climber in the same way - this time with the then new K&B15R on 50 %. I was more interested in the fast climb and recovery than actual competition, preferring A2 for that side of it. That 1.3x is the one in the composite pic on the previous page.
Tony Oliver is offline Find More Posts by Tony Oliver
Old Nov 17, 2004, 06:59 PM
Nova Scotia Canada
Joined Jan 2004
1,017 Posts
Dave Posner's Dream Weaver influenced me strongly in the development of my free flight power models, as did Brian Eggleston's Creep and Tony Brook's Y-Bar.

My Hi-TEE (Model Aircraft plan 388) was a lightweight version of earlier Hi-TEEs flown in World Championships in 1960 and 1963. In 1965 (the year of the infamous introduction of the Silencer Rule by the SMAE, I met Sergio (Joe) Savini at the British Nats. The following week he came over to Ireland for our Nationals ( which did not reuire silencers) . I was to pick him up in Dublin but blew a cam shaft in my 1955 VW (with little rear oval window). He had to get a taxi 30 miles to the Curragh. We had a long discussion on rectangular vs elliptical planforms, and following Joe's reasoning, I developed my Exexcutioner with elliptical tips which has been my standard since. In the meantime Joe went back to Blighty and with my persuasion converted to tapered wing tips.

I have plans (Cad) of the Executioner (also available from Mike Woodhouse)and the Mk. 17 Hi-TEE ( hand drawn in a two man tent bush camp in the wilds of the Great Northern Peninsula of Newfoundland in 1967) available on my web site at www.windandwavemodels.com

Like Jim Moseley I have the highest regard for Brian Eggleston's Creep and used it to get my first contest place in 1957. (With an ED 246 and Elmic Limitank)
John O'Sullivan is offline Find More Posts by John O'Sullivan
Old Nov 17, 2004, 07:37 PM
Ajax, Ontario, Canada
Joined Oct 2004
2,569 Posts
Tony - interesting that you flew the Mini-Weaver with a .09 - one of my favourite engines, much under-rated in my opinion - will have to go look at it again for wing area, etc. I fly the .09's on 320 sq. in wings, att 9-10 ozs, these days

>In 1965 (the year of the infamous introduction of the Silencer Rule by the SMAE,

John - Oh, wasn't that fun! Ring mufflers on .049's ... a bulky muffler hung onto my ETA29 .. with all the baffles filed out . .well, it looked like a silencer and left that lovely smoke trail ....

>I met Sergio (Joe) Savini at the British Nats.

Met Joe a few times. it was a loss to UK power modelling when he returend to italy - didn't hear anymore of him after that.

>with elliptical tips which has been my standard since. In the meantime Joe went back to Blighty and with my persuasion converted to tapered wing tips.

I switched from curved tips to straight taper on one of my Applehoneys (in a hurry and too lazy to laminate) and thought it 'grooved' better so they've all been that way ever since. Better airfoil right to tip rib, perhaps?
Old Nov 18, 2004, 10:59 PM
Ajax, Ontario, Canada
Joined Oct 2004
2,569 Posts
Something a little different ... a modeller in the Phillipines ran a postal event for very small classes of models, both indoor and outdoor. Largest outdoor class had a maximum of 10" span so I dreamed up 'TenSpot' for it. Naturally enough, 10" span .. covered in Reynolds 'Crystal Wrap' which doesn't warp a structure as it shrinks and is impervious; tissue and a coat of thin dope would have weighed no less and the structure would have buckled. Power was a 15" loop of 3/32" TAN2 and all-up weight 5 grammes.

Performance on 1500 turns amazed me - still evening air flights over two minutes - fast, high climb with a slow floating glide that I didn't expect from something so small. Even more surprising was to find that it could fly just as well in moderate winds; took it to Geneseo at the FAC meet and flew it constantly .. only took seconds to wind with a 10:1 winder and the return for so little effort was boundless; many flights up to and well past three minutes.

Inevitably, Hung eventually took it out into the soyabeans forever; no way of putting a d/t on something so small and the short life was predictable .. but it was a fun machine all the way.

Before then, I built a 20" wing just as a construction exercise; someday I might build the rest of the model to match.
Old Nov 19, 2004, 10:47 PM
central AZ
Joined May 2002
1,292 Posts
Apple!!! Plans? I haven't built in a long while. That looks like fun. I'd pay postage if you've got a copy.
KnifeEdge51 is online now Find More Posts by KnifeEdge51
Old Nov 20, 2004, 03:42 AM
North-East England
Joined Mar 2002
3,400 Posts
Seeing as how we are talking of plans, most people seem unaware that they can print plans on A4 size paper in width (210mm/8 inches wide) and often unlimited length.

My old printer is restricted to 44 inches long printing (it's a 'Banner' setting, sometimes marked as 'Custom'). Obviously you can't buy A4 that long, so I have a FAX roll and a clip-on wire holder made of 10g wire to hold the roll. I found that the thin paper was a problem to feed the first inch through so taped an inch of normal A4 to the feed in bit.

It works well on freeflight wings, tailplanes, fins and fuselages if you are designing or copying selectively. To do half a wing then 'flip verically for the other side is easy - no need to draw it a second time. That lovely little outdoor indoor model would be ideal!

Tony
Tony Oliver is offline Find More Posts by Tony Oliver
Old Nov 20, 2004, 09:09 AM
Ajax, Ontario, Canada
Joined Oct 2004
2,569 Posts
Peter Money, in NJ, was enthralled with the 'TenSpot' so I gave him all the measurements and structural details and he produced this CAD drawing of it; the only correction to be made is that the noseblock bearing should be of brass, not aluminum (aluminium!)

sorry ... waited an eternity for the.jpeg to upload but nothing happened; will rry later.
Old Nov 20, 2004, 09:49 AM
Ajax, Ontario, Canada
Joined Oct 2004
2,569 Posts
Okay, the file's too large for this link - if anyone wants it, please email me at jjmoseley@look.ca and I'll send it direct.
Old Nov 30, 2004, 08:16 AM
Joined Mar 2001
5,338 Posts
Moon

The insignia is the Blackhawk emblem--from the old Blackhawk comic books. Do a search for their website. I use it on a lot of my planes.

Pat
Old Nov 30, 2004, 08:20 AM
Joined Mar 2001
5,338 Posts
The Blackhawks are still in action--http://ourworlds.topcities.com/blackhawk/

Pat
Old Nov 30, 2004, 11:12 AM
troy NY
Joined Feb 2003
93 Posts
Hi Pat,
I KNEW I recognized it! It really does look great. Thanks for the link.
Your model is incredible.
Kevin
moon is offline Find More Posts by moon