HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by Tony Oliver, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Jan 28, 2013, 05:31 AM
Australia, NSW, Mona Vale
Joined May 2002
5,445 Posts
The thinned dope won't affect the glue providing it is fully dry and cured.
oldpilot is offline Find More Posts by oldpilot
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 28, 2013, 06:17 AM
São Paulo, Brasil
Joined Jun 2004
73 Posts
My 1945 Wanderer

+ info in my blog : http://eduardoyamin.blogspot.com.ar/...=1343666887293
Eduardo Yamin is offline Find More Posts by Eduardo Yamin
Old Jan 28, 2013, 09:00 AM
Ajax, Ontario, Canada
Joined Oct 2004
2,589 Posts
Nice !
Applehoney is online now Find More Posts by Applehoney
Old Jan 28, 2013, 10:00 AM
Rio Rancho NM
Joined Dec 2004
1,256 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcloin View Post
Here is my almost completed cub. I'm going to put a coat of thinned dope on the tissue. My only worry is that the covering will pull off since I attached it with a glue stick. Anyone have ant advice?
No worries on the dope pulling it off, I use gluestick & dope at times. You can get a better gluestick bond by rubbing the tissue over the gluestick with a finger wetted with rubbing alchohol and / or by using a trim iron on low to set the gluestick.

Only problem you may encounter with your model is tail warps. It's better to dope before assembly and pin the tail down for a few days after doping.

scrubs
scrubs is offline Find More Posts by scrubs
Old Jan 28, 2013, 02:52 PM
Gold Coast Australia.
Joined Jan 2005
2,503 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Applehoney View Post
Nice !
Very nice in fact, and the build on the blog really made it.
gossie is offline Find More Posts by gossie
Old Jan 28, 2013, 07:04 PM
carbondale il
Joined Jan 2007
2,559 Posts
The Mustang...a Guillow's 17 1/4" model originally intended for the "G" Challenge.

Kevin
kevin matthews is offline Find More Posts by kevin matthews
Old Jan 28, 2013, 07:18 PM
Culper Junior
eastern pa
Joined Feb 2007
2,225 Posts
Glad to see you're still around, Kevin.
aeronca52 is offline Find More Posts by aeronca52
Old Jan 28, 2013, 07:45 PM
carbondale il
Joined Jan 2007
2,559 Posts
Yeah, still here. My first several years in free flight were like a frenzy of building. I give my "failures" to neighbors. They like to have them to display. I'm keeping only my favorite. I've slowed down some as my efforts are getting more detailed and more difficult to build and I'm working again. I didn't get to fly last season once except for a couple of ornithopters. I've got to do something about that this next season. Last night I was looking at the EZB thread and got depressed because I have a Cezar Banks LPP built complete with a 12" balsa prop and condenser paper ready to fly and it has been for a long time. I have it stored away in a box in a closet. I don't have a car so I have to rely on someone for a lift, darn it. There is a large arena in town if I can get inside when nothing is scheduled. And there is a perfectly good gym on the university campus but they keep the doors locked. The field across the street is locked up most of the time. I don't understand why things have changed so much. It used to be all of these were always open for anyone to wander in.

Kevin

Kev
kevin matthews is offline Find More Posts by kevin matthews
Old Jan 28, 2013, 09:50 PM
more balsa please!
Princeton, In
Joined Jul 2007
793 Posts
Thanks for the input. I guess I should have known about pinning down the rudder and stab. I'm getting back into flying again after a few years and seem to have forgotten what little I once did know.
dcloin is offline Find More Posts by dcloin
Old Jan 29, 2013, 04:50 PM
Balsa Flies Better!
Stamford, CT
Joined Oct 2000
6,735 Posts
dcloin

Are you sure you need to dope the airplane at all? I suspect your markings may not be so happy with thinned dope- you might make a terrible mess. A lot of us fly airplanes with no dope at all- especially indoors, but often we venture outdoors with these ships as well.

If you're in a very humid region- you might find spray Krylon to be a better bet- but I have no first hand experience...

Sam
Megowcoupe is offline Find More Posts by Megowcoupe
Old Jan 29, 2013, 08:24 PM
more balsa please!
Princeton, In
Joined Jul 2007
793 Posts
Sam,

I suppose I could leave it off. I just had it next to another previous build that was doped, it just seemed much more durable so I considered doping this plane also. It will be an outside flyer since I don't have an indoor site. I think I'll try it out like is for now. I have the rubber for the motor ordered but due to weather I won't be able to fly it for a while....rain.

Darvin
Old Jan 30, 2013, 12:47 AM
United States, TX, Spring
Joined Jul 2010
203 Posts
That Wanderer is just gorgeous!
Gnu4FF is online now Find More Posts by Gnu4FF
Old Jan 30, 2013, 04:37 PM
Australia, NSW, Mona Vale
Joined May 2002
5,445 Posts
Love that Wanderer. It takes me right back to 1946.
oldpilot is offline Find More Posts by oldpilot
Old Jan 30, 2013, 08:38 PM
Lincoln, UK
Joined Jun 2005
614 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcloin View Post
Here is my almost completed cub. I'm going to put a coat of thinned dope on the tissue. My only worry is that the covering will pull off since I attached it with a glue stick. Anyone have any advice?
The only advice I would possibly offer is to at least dope the fuselage, tight tissue adds considerable strength to an airframe, believe it or not, to not dope the fuselage could be to invite a structural failure under the tension of a wound motor. Lovely looking model by the way.
Pete1978 is offline Find More Posts by Pete1978
Old Feb 03, 2013, 03:31 PM
more balsa please!
Princeton, In
Joined Jul 2007
793 Posts
Phantom Flash ROG

Here is the Phantom Flash I just completed. It's a laser cut kit from peck polymers. The tissue has a few wrinkles but other than that it turned out okay. I've had the kit for a year or two and the rubber was not very good. I ordered a 1/4 lb of 1/8" rubber for the cub I just built and it's much better. I dont have anywhere indoors to fly so will have to wait for the weather to improve before I can get them both in the air.

This kit said not to shrink the tissue. I was going to pre-shrink it before installing it but decided to just install it per the instructions.

Now I'm trying to decide what to build next.

Darvin
Last edited by dcloin; Feb 03, 2013 at 03:47 PM.