HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by Tony Oliver, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Jul 03, 2005, 09:25 AM
Ajax, Ontario, Canada
Joined Oct 2004
2,574 Posts
SMAE decal - very observant! Yes, indeed, my last one. Henry Tubbs gave me a batch about 35+ years ago and that was the only one that hadn't crazed and fallen apart with age.

Change from 50 yrs ago? I have a pic of me with a power model in 1969, still with a tie ... I think I've worn a tie, dress shirt and suit just once this year, for a dinner - how times change!
Applehoney is offline Find More Posts by Applehoney
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 03, 2005, 07:44 PM
Gold Coast Australia.
Joined Jan 2005
2,489 Posts
SMAE decal-----Felt very privliged to be give two at the '77 W/C in Denmark by lan Dowsett-----have one very crazed on a KK Ajax and lost a good one last year on an Eliminator with a VERY good MK2 Allbon Jav. Was also on the fin.

Suit and tie-----mmmm-------been a while, but do have a couple.
gossie is online now Find More Posts by gossie
Old Jul 04, 2005, 12:59 AM
Gold Coast Australia.
Joined Jan 2005
2,489 Posts
ZL---go back a page please---just gave my 'no sense' post an edit. Stoooopid huh.
Old Jul 04, 2005, 01:16 AM
Sir Jasper
Christchurch - New Zealand
Joined Jan 2003
785 Posts
zl3vml is offline Find More Posts by zl3vml
Old Jul 04, 2005, 06:04 AM
Gold Coast Australia.
Joined Jan 2005
2,489 Posts
Now just be kind------maybe was a 'seniors' moment------OMG.
Old Jul 23, 2005, 01:37 PM
Ajax, Ontario, Canada
Joined Oct 2004
2,574 Posts
Walkin' Shoes 2005

Walkin' Shoes 2005 nears completion - just requires timer, a/r and d/t line and ballast. 80% reprise of my 1955 glider.

Colours are actually red and white, not the unsopid pink and pale green effects given by this hick digital.
Old Jul 23, 2005, 04:23 PM
sensitive artsy type
Tucker, Georgia, United States
Joined Feb 2004
3,167 Posts
Hick digital!

Really like the fuselage lines, very nice. tt
Treetop is offline Find More Posts by Treetop
Old Jul 23, 2005, 04:54 PM
North-East England
Joined Mar 2002
3,400 Posts
Post f/f models....

Is this any better Jim?
Tony Oliver is offline Find More Posts by Tony Oliver
Old Jul 23, 2005, 09:59 PM
Ajax, Ontario, Canada
Joined Oct 2004
2,574 Posts
Much better! Thanks, Tony.
Old Jul 30, 2005, 03:00 PM
flight999
England
Joined Dec 2002
2,344 Posts
Can't see that rudder doing much for anything!
How does it fly?
flight999 is offline Find More Posts by flight999
Old Jul 30, 2005, 03:27 PM
Ajax, Ontario, Canada
Joined Oct 2004
2,574 Posts
How much rudder do you need? :-)

As yet I haven't had a chance to fly this airplane but the 1955 version was quite satisfactory with the same (proportional) size fin/rudder and flew very well indeed; I anticipate the same from this one as I hope I've learned a little more about towing techniques, thermal picking, etc. in the intervening fifty years..
Old Jul 30, 2005, 04:55 PM
North-East England
Joined Mar 2002
3,400 Posts
I don't see a problem with that fin either. My A2s all had small fins and tiny rudders - admittedly on long moment arms. I think the delicacy of trimming thoroughbred models allows such refinements.

The tailplane size harks back to an earlier era but he wing is 'modern' for the 50s. Love the riblets. The whole thing reminds me of my early attempts with A2.

Seeing your pic reminded me of one of mine which D/Td on to the hangar roof at Thornaby. I had to climb up the side through one of those hooped ladders hanging out a foot or so from the wall. Slippery duckboards on the roof didn't help either. I got the model down safely. The whole experience of such an exposed climb got me interested in rockclimbing which I did for a good few years. It didn't stop me modelling though.
Tony Oliver is offline Find More Posts by Tony Oliver
Old Jul 30, 2005, 10:43 PM
Ajax, Ontario, Canada
Joined Oct 2004
2,574 Posts
>The tailplane size harks back to an earlier era (snip) love the riblets

Indeed - in the '50s I was mostly flying power models, 40% stabs were quite usual. The model from which the 'Walkin'Shoes' evolved was based on similar lines, a powerful stabiliser (not only large but undercambered, too) coupled with rearward CG. Section is 6509, model could almost push three minutes in calm evening air from 50 metre line, which wasn't at all bad for the time.

The design was also dictated by the maximum area that I could pack into a onepiece wing that could be fitted into a small car of the time - a Ford 10 or Standard 8; hence 88" and 10" chord .. and that had twice the riblets of the new 80% airplane. Masochistic .... I subsequently went to larger gliders but without riblets....
Old Jul 31, 2005, 08:37 AM
Voices through wires? Ha!
Joined Feb 2003
1,658 Posts
Apple you should have gone to the Anglia 105E !

It's a lovely model. I have just found plans for the Mercury "Marauder" and apparently people are using two-function radio on these with great success (I know, sacrilege!!). I plan to make the rudder on mine pretty large as a proportion of fin area, but this will only be to boost control authority at landing; the flying generally will be on smidgeons and I will promise, as always, to leave the Pitch Pole alone. Marauder shows a flat-bottomed tailplane section, cambered only by the "Clark Y" appearance.

The plan calls for a weight-box to be built into the wing mount if flying is anticipated in the new " Nordic A2" class, as the dragmaster type airframe still only clocks in under 12 ozs without passengers. Now, where's my insipid orange tissue....
Chas is offline Find More Posts by Chas
Old Jul 31, 2005, 09:05 AM
Ajax, Ontario, Canada
Joined Oct 2004
2,574 Posts
Chas - strengthen up the centre of the wing if you anticipate stronger towing loads than usually generated by careful hand towing. "As is", it's not hard to fold the wings.

An incidental side effect of this is that the model is a better flyer with a nose half the proper length; a wing fold led to such foreshortening and after the necessary repairs/rebuild it handled better - stall recovery off the line was much improved.

Mine was covered in yellow ltwt. Modelspan. I'm always in the market for new supplies of 'old stock', any colour except blue !