SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
This thread is privately moderated by Tony Oliver, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Oct 11, 2012, 09:31 PM
Gold Coast Australia.
Joined Jan 2005
2,489 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by aeronca52 View Post
Maybe you mounted the fuselage on the wrong side.....
Now that's quite a good possibility, or perhaps the pylon was built on the bottom of the fuselage when the head was on the right hand side.
gossie is offline Find More Posts by gossie
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 11, 2012, 10:37 PM
Ajax, Ontario, Canada
Joined Oct 2004
2,574 Posts
Nope. Impossible for the fuselage to be flipped and pylon placed on wrong edge. The way it is is the way it is. Or was. But I appreciate the thoughts of how to wriggle out of it.... but what the heck - it works!
Applehoney is offline Find More Posts by Applehoney
Old Oct 12, 2012, 02:59 AM
North-East England
Joined Mar 2002
3,400 Posts
Maybe a new engine with the cylinder installed on the correct side of the crankcase?

Can we buy right handed timers too?

I think my brain's starting to hurt..
Tony Oliver is offline Find More Posts by Tony Oliver
Old Oct 12, 2012, 06:05 AM
Sticks, Tissue & old Diesels
France, Centre, Amboise
Joined Nov 2011
1,543 Posts
Jim, it obviously can't be that important if the timer has been operating OK for years.
If you were really concerned, it would probably be possible just to remove the engine and install it with the cylinder on the right, with the top surface of the mounting lugs against the bearers... This would obviously displace the thrust line by the thickness of the lugs but that's no big deal.
brokenenglish is offline Find More Posts by brokenenglish
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by brokenenglish; Oct 12, 2012 at 11:47 AM.
Old Oct 12, 2012, 08:50 AM
Ajax, Ontario, Canada
Joined Oct 2004
2,574 Posts
Yeah ... except that it's rotary disc induction and there's presently a groove in the fuselage to allow air to the intake. That couldn't be done on other side if required as there's a hard tank embedded there.

It's doing great 'as is'. I'll just consider it a mindfart at the time I was setting up the front end.
Old Oct 13, 2012, 06:40 PM
Gold Coast Australia.
Joined Jan 2005
2,489 Posts
1954 Y-Bar.

1954 Y-Bar by Tony Brooks.

My version of Tony's 40in pylon power freeflight model using a DC Sabre 1.5.
Weighs 180 grams at the moment. Will use a Seelig Mini power timer.

I should think mine will end up over 200 grams finished. Tony Brooks had one of his in 1954 finished at 6oz.....Must have used very light wood with careful building.

I know of two others here, an Elfin 1.5 won our Aussie vintage power at the Nationals in 1998, and another with a Webra Rekord 1.5 that I've been told is a "crazy thing". Guess it's overpowered.

Will be a few weeks before it's finished so hope to give it a fly before Christmas.
Old Oct 13, 2012, 06:54 PM
Ajax, Ontario, Canada
Joined Oct 2004
2,574 Posts
Y-Bars in various sizes were very succesful here in Nostalgia a number of years ago but not heard of lately.

Be interested to hear flight reports
Old Oct 14, 2012, 02:22 AM
I like real wooden aeroplanes!
South-west France
Joined Sep 2007
4,651 Posts
Should be nice Gossie. Back in the fifties I had a Frog 150 powered one (you are right about 6 oz being very light - mine was about 8) which was very easy to trim and a nice consistent performer.
Sundancer is online now Find More Posts by Sundancer
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 14, 2012, 03:38 AM
Sticks, Tissue & old Diesels
France, Centre, Amboise
Joined Nov 2011
1,543 Posts
At least 1oz of the weight difference will be due to the Elfin (lighter engine + less weight aft of the CG to compensate).
For me, it's a shame to use anything other than an Elfin in this type of model. As kids, I don't think we realised how much better than the competition they were.
About 25 years ago, I built (and finished!) an Eliminator, which I wanted to use in vintage competition, so I built it for an MVVS 1.5.
It turned out very nose heavy so, full of remorse and repentance, I decided to modify the nose to install an Elfin. Shamefully, that model is still in my box right now, unflown and still not modified for the Elfin... Oh dear!
brokenenglish is offline Find More Posts by brokenenglish
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 14, 2012, 04:22 AM
Gold Coast Australia.
Joined Jan 2005
2,489 Posts
Fully agree "brokenenglish" re. Sabre being a heavier engine than the Elfin, but there was a reason and some thought into using the Sabre.

I do not have an Elfin 1.5 but have a couple of Sabre's plus a Spitfire Mk2......They are really my Grandsons but I play with them and make things for them.....He's a bit hot and cold on model airplanes.....He's only 12 and there's heaps of other things to occupy him.

I did not build in the wooden engine bearers as needed for an Elfin, but saved weight and used the radial mount facility on the Sabre, also the red Sabre spinner will be replaced with a nut to hold the propeller on.....The red spinner itself weighs 8 grams.

I'm sure the C of G will be a bit more forward than if I'd used an Elfin, so I'll just have to deal with that when the time comes.

I was thinking that this Y-Bar is a very versatile model too.....I could fly it in five classes here in OZ.
Our Vintage Power as it's pre. '57 as also the engine is and must be. 15 second engine run, 180 maximum.
OZ Diesel that must use a 1.5 maximum size plain bearing diesel. 10 second engine run, 120 maximum.
Open Power using 10 second engine run with a 180 maximum.
F1C if built to correct weight, 5 second engine run, 180 maximum....Doubt it would place.
Scramble by using a DC Spitfire 1cc as our rules for safety use 1cc as a maximum engine size.

I could go the the Nats with one model only, some fuel, a couple of spare props and a spanner just in case I broke a prop. LOL.
Old Oct 15, 2012, 07:38 AM
United States, FL, Perry
Joined Mar 2011
452 Posts
Covering almost complete on my 16" Rider Jackrabbit.
FLYBOB54 is offline Find More Posts by FLYBOB54
Old Oct 15, 2012, 04:52 PM
Australia, NSW, Katoomba
Joined May 2002
5,435 Posts
Never seen that one before. Hot looking plane.
oldpilot is online now Find More Posts by oldpilot
Old Oct 15, 2012, 05:47 PM
United States, FL, Perry
Joined Mar 2011
452 Posts
It's a racer from the 1930s, a Keith Rider Jackrabbit he also designed the Bumblebee, Suzy, Firecracker, Eight ball, and others.
FLYBOB54 is offline Find More Posts by FLYBOB54
Old Oct 16, 2012, 03:14 PM
Joined Sep 2007
496 Posts
Few pictures and links to short videos of the flying pig I built from Tony Peters' plan published some years ago in Flying Models magazine.
I initially built it as a rubber powered model and recently converted to electric using a Bit-Charger car motor & gears, a small Lipo cell and the ubiquitous timer that may be set from 8 to 30 seconds.

Immagine 020 (0 min 15 sec)

flying pig.avi (0 min 11 sec)
Guizzo 17 is offline Find More Posts by Guizzo 17
Old Oct 16, 2012, 07:57 PM
Culper Junior
eastern pa
Joined Feb 2007
2,200 Posts
What timer is that again? Is that the one Dave Rees used to sell?
aeronca52 is offline Find More Posts by aeronca52