HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by Tony Oliver, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Sep 29, 2012, 02:47 PM
Nova Scotia Canada
Joined Jan 2004
1,017 Posts
Beautiful stuff!
interesting to see the Cranfield 1958 WC sticker on Widell's model in conjunction with a current email address. Little did we know then about the level of communication that we would have now. Unfortunately, my last remaining model parts from my Cranfield 1960 and Wiener Neustadt 1963 WCs were lost in a house fire 7 years go. I do still have the souvenir medal from Wiener Neusdadt.
I was out this morning with my Pulsar 3.2m Rudder, elevator, flap electric sailplane. It reminds me of my former F1C (Classic 60's-70's) days.. Does 6 1/2 to 7 minutes in still air from a 10 sec motor run (and I can land it at my feet).
Happy Flying
John O'Sullivan is offline Find More Posts by John O'Sullivan
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 10, 2012, 01:31 PM
Ajax, Ontario, Canada
Joined Oct 2004
2,566 Posts
420 squares, 13 ounces, Webra Mach 1 diesel

Geneseo, NY Great Grape Gathering
Applehoney is offline Find More Posts by Applehoney
Old Oct 10, 2012, 03:46 PM
Gold Coast Australia.
Joined Jan 2005
2,467 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Applehoney View Post

Is this a new or old shot????

Sounds like a rocket ship at that size and weight with a Mach 1.
gossie is offline Find More Posts by gossie
Old Oct 10, 2012, 05:24 PM
Ajax, Ontario, Canada
Joined Oct 2004
2,566 Posts
Couple of weeks ago, Howard.

Climbs out well....
Old Oct 10, 2012, 06:48 PM
1:1 scale is fun!
United States, NJ, Midland Park
Joined Feb 2009
456 Posts
Quote:

ZOOOOOOOOOOOOM!! Looks great...sounds like a winner too.
ECBoehm is offline Find More Posts by ECBoehm
Old Oct 10, 2012, 06:54 PM
Gold Coast Australia.
Joined Jan 2005
2,467 Posts
Quote:
Couple of weeks ago, Howard.

Climbs out well....
I bet it does at 13oz. Built in lightness no doubt.
Old Oct 10, 2012, 07:35 PM
Ajax, Ontario, Canada
Joined Oct 2004
2,566 Posts
On reflection it's probably a little heavier. When new - as per photo - it weighed in at 12.5 ounces 'as is' without prop. Since then I've had to add a little nose ballast to cancel out a stall which would sometimes commence when well into the glide, especially if bounced a little by turbulence.....

The right main wing panel has since been rebuilt following a d/t band which broke well into the climb and folded it near the centre, couple of years ago. I'll have to weigh it again sometime but right now it's boxed away for the winter.
Old Oct 10, 2012, 09:30 PM
Gold Coast Australia.
Joined Jan 2005
2,467 Posts
Even 13 or 14oz is light.

Why do you have the engine head on the left side Jim?
Old Oct 10, 2012, 10:15 PM
Ajax, Ontario, Canada
Joined Oct 2004
2,566 Posts
There's a very good reason for it Howard. If I can think of it I'll let you know....

I just went and looked at twelve fuselages hanging in the shop. Of those with 'sidewinders' only this one has the engine to the left.

I dunno. Maybe the diesels' compression lever falls more easily to hand though I rarely have to touch it. Odd thing is that it won't start on the running needle setting, I have to open that up and then close it smartly when the Webra starts making noise.
Old Oct 10, 2012, 11:54 PM
Gold Coast Australia.
Joined Jan 2005
2,467 Posts
Quote:
There's a very good reason for it Howard. If I can think of it I'll let you know....

I just went and looked at twelve fuselages hanging in the shop. Of those with 'sidewinders' only this one has the engine to the left.

I dunno. Maybe the diesels' compression lever falls more easily to hand though I rarely have to touch it. Odd thing is that it won't start on the running needle setting, I have to open that up and then close it smartly when the Webra starts making noise.
That's all okay by me. Was just wondering.

Seems we usually hang the head over to the right, I guess to give a little bias to the right....i.e. A little more weight that side and slight drag that side as we normally fly that sort of model to the right, so that may well be the usual reason.......perhaps?????

Also if one is right handed as I was born, then I would hold the fuselage in my left hand to flick start, then adjust comp. or needle......I would find it difficult I think, to hold with right hand and adjust with the left.
Old Oct 11, 2012, 02:54 AM
I like real wooden aeroplanes!
South-west France
Joined Sep 2007
4,426 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gossie View Post
Is this a new or old shot????

Sounds like a rocket ship at that size and weight with a Mach 1.
ALL Jim's power models are rocket ships!
Sundancer is offline Find More Posts by Sundancer
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 11, 2012, 08:34 AM
Ajax, Ontario, Canada
Joined Oct 2004
2,566 Posts
> if one is right handed as I was born, then I would hold the fuselage in my left hand to flick start, then adjust comp. or needle......I would find it difficult I think, to hold with right hand and adjust with the left.

Me. too .... though I was born left handed. Fortunately that is only really evident when I pick up a pencil or Swann Morton knife - I can use the right reasonably equally in most things
Old Oct 11, 2012, 02:08 PM
Sticks, Tissue & old Diesels
France, Centre, Amboise
Joined Nov 2011
1,476 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gossie View Post
Seems we usually hang the head over to the right, I guess to give a little bias to the right....i.e. A little more weight that side and slight drag that side as we normally fly that sort of model to the right, so that may well be the usual reason.......perhaps?????
I always thought the following:
Launching normally right-handed, you're looking at the LH side of the model. This means that the timer will be on the left which, for me, means that the engine exhaust should be on the right.
Another very minor factor is that this configuration also puts the engine bearers on the left and, for 1/2A models, the timer mounting screws will be conveniently screwing into the hardwood bearers (Tatone/KSB timer cases are about the same width as a TD).
brokenenglish is offline Find More Posts by brokenenglish
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Running the "K" Hawk 0.2cc...
Old Oct 11, 2012, 03:43 PM
Ajax, Ontario, Canada
Joined Oct 2004
2,566 Posts
>This means that the timer will be on the left which, for me, means that the engine exhaust should be on the right.

Absolutely correct ... which now has me seriously pondering as to why I have the cylinder on the same side as the timer.

The model has been in existence for a number of years and the thought has never bothered me before. I do wish Gossie hadn't asked.........
Old Oct 11, 2012, 08:06 PM
Culper Junior
eastern pa
Joined Feb 2007
2,175 Posts
Maybe you mounted the fuselage on the wrong side.....
aeronca52 is offline Find More Posts by aeronca52