HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by Tony Oliver, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Jan 13, 2012, 05:29 PM
flight999
England
Joined Dec 2002
2,344 Posts
I still carry a chopper, pole, string and rope in the car
whatever I fly ..............!!!
flight999 is offline Find More Posts by flight999
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 13, 2012, 09:28 PM
Joined Jun 2011
566 Posts
HI Vernon,
Thanks for the flight Video. Shows the Miss World Fair climbs out in a fast stable manner. Looks like it would really power up on full turns. When I finally do build it I will put on a tail tilt D/T. Easy to do.

Sam thanks for the trimming advice. I have had to use packing before under the leading edge of a wing on Vintage model. Used it on my KORDA WAKEFIELD.

Many years ago the sadly missed "Model Builder" magazine published an article on all the trimming tricks used on various vinatage designs. Seem to have lost my copy.

Cheers

Algy
algy2 is offline Find More Posts by algy2
Old Jan 14, 2012, 01:45 AM
The windy west coast of Sweden
Joined Sep 2008
3,034 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mchandrayan View Post
I am always amazed how does a model find the single obstruction in the field and manage to hit it bulls eye with unfailing precision?
Probably something to do with Dark Matter...
I figure there are a few Nobel Awards yet to be fetched....
Gluehand is offline Find More Posts by Gluehand
Last edited by Gluehand; Jan 14, 2012 at 01:54 AM.
Old Jan 14, 2012, 11:51 AM
Chennai, Tamil Nadu, India
Joined Sep 2003
529 Posts
Amen to that Gluehand.
May one from our tribe get the Nobel. :-)
mchandrayan is online now Find More Posts by mchandrayan
Old Jan 16, 2012, 10:43 PM
United States, MA, Waltham
Joined Dec 2001
7,132 Posts
Here are three of my models, all rather broken in by now. The first two are a Pussycat (Dick Baxter's design) and a "Parlor Fly". Plans for the Parlor Fly appeared in an old issue of the Glastonbury, CT. club's newsletter, the name of which I forget. I think the Parlor Fly may have appeared in Model Airplane News in the '30's. The Pussycat must be something like peanut sized, and the Parlor Fly is smaller. The prop mounted on the Parlor Fly doesn't really show here because it's dark colored.

Both models will do over a minute, or at least they used to before all the repairs.

The other model is a Porterfield Zephyr dime scale from an old Guillows plan. It's available someplace on the web, though that's not where I got it. Came out somewhere near 5 grams and it used to do about 90 seconds. I wonder if it would do more or less if I covered the bottom? Once, in a contest, Richard Zapf and I were the only ones left. It was neck and neck despite the fact that his model weighed 4 or 5 times more and was MUCH faster. If I'm not mistaken, he had a model of one of those radial engined, pre war, low wing fighters, which looked like the ancestor of the P-47. Or was it his Monomail? Can't remember.
lincoln is online now Find More Posts by lincoln
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 16, 2012, 10:45 PM
United States, MA, Waltham
Joined Dec 2001
7,132 Posts
P.S. Note the box for the Zephyr. Nose jams on over flexible foam block. Very thin ply captures the rubber peg.
lincoln is online now Find More Posts by lincoln
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 05, 2012, 07:45 PM
Zach
Illinois
Joined Feb 2004
806 Posts
Here is a picture of my Jimmie Allen Skokie I'm getting ready to cover.

Zach
Tail Spin1 is offline Find More Posts by Tail Spin1
Old Feb 08, 2012, 06:00 AM
Elyria, Ohio
Joined Sep 2004
738 Posts
Nice job Zach! Sure has pretty lines and looks ready to leep off the ground.How about a picture when she is all covered?

Mike1484
Mike1484 is offline Find More Posts by Mike1484
Old Feb 08, 2012, 11:22 PM
Culper Junior
eastern pa
Joined Feb 2007
2,272 Posts
Zach, was it your idea to sheet over the wing center section? I don't remember the kit that way. Looks like a good thought. Nice build.
aeronca52 is offline Find More Posts by aeronca52
Old Feb 09, 2012, 12:29 AM
Zach
Illinois
Joined Feb 2004
806 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by aeronca52 View Post
Zach, was it your idea to sheet over the wing center section? I don't remember the kit that way. Looks like a good thought. Nice build.
Yes, I thought about converting it over to micro RC so I beefed up the wing a little with some extra webbing and sheeting the center section. In the end I decided to leave it as a free flight model.

The wing will be held on with rubber bands stretched over the wing so the sheeting is still a good idea.

Zach
Old Feb 12, 2012, 12:20 AM
Zach
Illinois
Joined Feb 2004
806 Posts
All covered and waiting for some warmer weather.

Zach
Old Feb 12, 2012, 04:38 AM
Elyria, Ohio
Joined Sep 2004
738 Posts
Very nice Zach.All ready for the next FAC contest.Going to need a DT on it so you don't loose it!

Mike1484
Mike1484 is offline Find More Posts by Mike1484
Old Feb 12, 2012, 05:52 AM
Australia, NSW, Mona Vale
Joined May 2002
5,450 Posts
Very pretty Zack.
I'll bet it flies fine. TLAR.
oldpilot is offline Find More Posts by oldpilot
Old Feb 12, 2012, 10:15 PM
Zach
Illinois
Joined Feb 2004
806 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike1484 View Post
Very nice Zach.All ready for the next FAC contest.Going to need a DT on it so you don't loose it!

Mike1484
It's going to get a pop-up wing DT before the ground thaws.

This will be my first such DT. I know the basic design but need to do a little research before I implement it.

Zach
Old Feb 13, 2012, 04:11 AM
UK
Joined Jan 2009
1,248 Posts
Looks really good Zack! The blue and orange is very striking. What is the insignia on the wing?

Jon
Yak 52 is offline Find More Posts by Yak 52