SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
This thread is privately moderated by Tony Oliver, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Nov 08, 2004, 01:22 PM
North-East England
Joined Mar 2002
3,402 Posts
Gallery
Post your freeflight model pics here

I was asked by a friend for a montage of F/F models to go on a Stand he has promised for a school Fete.

That got me thinking that most Forums have a 'post your models' thread and we haven't.

We have now.

Here's my montage to start it off.
Tony Oliver is offline Find More Posts by Tony Oliver
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 08, 2004, 02:08 PM
United Kingdom, Scotland, Fife
Joined May 1999
2,843 Posts
Wow is that a "Delphinium" from the old aeromodeller plans?
Ian Easton is offline Find More Posts by Ian Easton
Old Nov 08, 2004, 02:41 PM
North-East England
Joined Mar 2002
3,402 Posts
It certainly is, Ian.

Definitely different! That one has a Cox Golden Bee, and is overpowered. Very careful trimming needed as is adherence to the building and set-up suggestions.

The launch is also a bit touchy. Too fast and it will roll; too slow and the ground gets it. The secret seems to be to keep the top half of the 'fuselage' light. Marked anhedral, no fin (in the usual sense). It's an amazing design. An absolute hoot to fly when it's trimmed.

Tony
Old Nov 08, 2004, 06:57 PM
Ajax, Ontario, Canada
Joined Oct 2004
2,590 Posts
If you have the Delphinium and that octagonal marvel at CF I'm sure that Vernon Levy enjoys 'em - Kwod, as well.

This pic is an oldie - my 1955 'Walkin' Shoes' lightweight glider, later published in Model Aircraft. 88" span and a good model; I keep promising myself I'll build another one some day ...
Applehoney is offline Find More Posts by Applehoney
Old Nov 09, 2004, 10:31 PM
United Kingdom, Scotland, Fife
Joined May 1999
2,843 Posts
Here's my Jimmie Allen Bluebird
Tristar (aeromodeller plan)
Cherub by Vic Smeed
KK Pioneer
Ian Easton is offline Find More Posts by Ian Easton
Old Nov 10, 2004, 12:22 AM
sensitive artsy type
Tucker, Georgia, United States
Joined Feb 2004
3,167 Posts
Tonyo, the one in the upper left picture is very cool, diamond shaped fuse, single blade prop. Very vintage. What the heck is the porpoise thing? Does it spin while going forward?
tt
Treetop is offline Find More Posts by Treetop
Old Nov 10, 2004, 03:07 AM
North-East England
Joined Mar 2002
3,402 Posts
Treetop - it's a Winter Cup (Coupe d'Hiver) rubber model called Garter Knight - good as a starter in rubber power competition models. Now about 25 years old (and looking like it).

The Delphinium is a stable flyer and flies around with a slightly undulating flightpath if you set it up correctly and don't overpower it - I run the engine rich to reduce the power a little (or you can put the prop on backwards to reduce thrust) - it was as Ian says, a plan in Aeromodeller many years ago.

Applehoney - I'm going to post some pics of Vernon's models this evening. It's a long time since I met anyone quite as enthusiastic and prolific as he is. Great character to have around.
Last edited by tonyo; Nov 10, 2004 at 02:37 PM. Reason: wrong reference
Old Nov 14, 2004, 05:44 PM
Morbid Saint
Joined Dec 2003
114 Posts
Tonyo ya should sticky a pictures thread in this forum.
M_Saint is offline Find More Posts by M_Saint
Old Nov 15, 2004, 03:19 AM
North-East England
Joined Mar 2002
3,402 Posts
That's what this is really (see the title?).

I'm not a fan of stickies. I would rather keep a dynamic thread going which disappears down the bottom of the page if interest wanes. However, as you've requested it, you've got it!

Tony

Old Nov 15, 2004, 05:29 PM
average user
Joined Jun 2004
384 Posts
Build Thread!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Applehoney
If you have the Delphinium and that octagonal marvel at CF I'm sure that Vernon Levy enjoys 'em - Kwod, as well.

This pic is an oldie - my 1955 'Walkin' Shoes' lightweight glider, later published in Model Aircraft. 88" span and a good model; I keep promising myself I'll build another one some day ...
build eeeeeeet!!!!!!!! and do a build thread too I'm sure we would all like to see it....
mr.zagi5c is offline Find More Posts by mr.zagi5c
Old Nov 15, 2004, 07:16 PM
Ajax, Ontario, Canada
Joined Oct 2004
2,590 Posts
I'd love to build it - but there's no competition class for it in the US; always been FAI glider classes until now. The NFFS introduced 'Classic Glider' last year - straight tow models but again, to FAI sizes and weights. Bummer!
2005 rules are much more sensible - no restrictions other than a maximum of 750 sq, ins total wing and stab area; "Walkin' Shoes' has more area than that in the wing alone so I still have no purpose to build it. Double bummer!!
Old Nov 16, 2004, 03:05 AM
North-East England
Joined Mar 2002
3,402 Posts
A very pretty aeroplane though!

I remember that Model Aircraft mag wasn't quite the quality of Aeromodeller but often had more interesting designs. Anyone know what happened to the plans they had? I think some were merged with AM plans service.

Tony
Old Nov 16, 2004, 08:39 AM
Ajax, Ontario, Canada
Joined Oct 2004
2,590 Posts
In later years AM re-released most of the old MA plans 'by popular request'. X-List plans now have the majority; Nexus still offer a few from each source at much inflated prices - but most plans can now be sourced from modellers on the Net. Depends which one you want ....
Old Nov 16, 2004, 11:56 AM
North-East England
Joined Mar 2002
3,402 Posts
My problem is remembering which design came from which mag (although I have Aeromodeller from 1951 to 1964 complete + others). The particular plans I need to build are Mini-Weaver (I can't find mine anywhere, despite having built three) and I need to find which mag had Semilina, a single engined Catalina style f/f model.

The latter's name was enough to make me want one. I actually bought the plan but loaned it out and I never got it back.

Old Nov 16, 2004, 12:17 PM
United States, VA, Chesterfield
Joined Mar 2001
5,378 Posts
My Jimmy Allen in Navy Markings

Pat Daily
Pat Daily is offline Find More Posts by Pat Daily