SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Nov 07, 2004, 05:35 PM
Minnesota
Joined Oct 2004
6 Posts
Bell Aircraft X-16 pss scracth built

I scratch built this 1/24 scale Bell Aircraft X-16. The wing span is 57" and the plane is buit true to scale with two exceptions the airfoil and the vertical fins hight was reduced a little. This plane flys very well, similar to a Fun One in performace with only a slightly increase tip stall tendency.
bertsrc is offline Find More Posts by bertsrc
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 07, 2004, 05:45 PM
Portland, Oregon
Joined Apr 2004
373 Posts
Sweet, what's the airfoil, 6062? looks razor thin from here. I can't remember the CR's Fun One airfoil-
maherrpca is offline Find More Posts by maherrpca
Old Nov 07, 2004, 06:08 PM
Feeling FrSky
United States, CA, Santa Barbara
Joined Feb 2003
20,091 Posts
Cool! Not one I've seen before. Big props for modelling the nacelles!!

Steve
surfimp is offline Find More Posts by surfimp
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 07, 2004, 07:27 PM
Insert custom witicism
San Diego
Joined Jun 2001
3,526 Posts
Sweet! Any more pics? Perhaps a close up or two? Outstanding to see people scratch building seldom-modeled subjects.

Welcome to the E-zone, lots of good folks here.

Jeff
Jeff Charlot is offline Find More Posts by Jeff Charlot
Old Nov 07, 2004, 08:41 PM
I'm your huckleberry
USA, CA, Gardena
Joined Jun 2004
1,814 Posts
Thats a very interesting project. The X16 designation was actually a cover for a high altitude recon aircraft. 28 were ordered but the whole thing got canceled before the 1st one was fininsed being built. It was never flown. At least until now anyway. LOL. Good job it does look like the real plane. As was said earlier More pic's?

Bob
Doc Holiday48 is offline Find More Posts by Doc Holiday48
Old Nov 07, 2004, 08:48 PM
Tryin not to be a hack!!
SoCal
Joined May 2004
1,797 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Charlot
Sweet! Any more pics? Perhaps a close up or two?

Welcome to the E-zone, lots of good folks here. Jeff
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Holiday48
Good job it does look like the real plane. As was said earlier More pic's? Bob
Yea, like they said....more pics!! Very Cool...whats it made out of?
Welcome!!
Kevin
Aerobat152A is offline Find More Posts by Aerobat152A
Old Nov 07, 2004, 10:03 PM
Minnesota
Joined Oct 2004
6 Posts
couple more pic's

This Aircraft is a pink foam construction the wings are balsa sheeted with a SD6060 airfoil. The fuse is also pink foam with two layers of 2 oz glass over the pink foam. The fuse was cut into 3 pieces and hollowed out leaving 3/16 to 1/4" foam bonded to the fiber glass, then splice back together. Under the wing saddle the fuse was also glassed inside fuse to about one inch either side of the wing as a fuse doubler in the wing area. The fuse is only 2" in diameter for a cross section.
Old Nov 07, 2004, 10:46 PM
I'm your huckleberry
USA, CA, Gardena
Joined Jun 2004
1,814 Posts
Awesome. I like the naceles

Bob
Doc Holiday48 is offline Find More Posts by Doc Holiday48
Old Nov 07, 2004, 11:27 PM
Tryin not to be a hack!!
SoCal
Joined May 2004
1,797 Posts
Definately Cool....... Reminds me of something out of Strategic Air Command.

I have a thing for Silver with Stars & Bars..... I used to just really love Bars...any bar...Flannegans, Barneys Beanery, CBGB's..oops

Whats the Wingspan & Weight?

Thats the Bell X-16 featured in the Sept. 2002 SE Modeler Magazine.... good job!!! Hope you dont mind Bert....

Mid Page: http://www.mrcss.org/pss.htm

Kevin
Aerobat152A is offline Find More Posts by Aerobat152A
Last edited by Aerobat152A; Nov 07, 2004 at 11:38 PM.
Old Nov 08, 2004, 12:59 AM
Feeling FrSky
United States, CA, Santa Barbara
Joined Feb 2003
20,091 Posts
Well I'll be darned, I thought it was given a pretty typical PSS stretch job, but actually it looks like it may be pretty close to 100% scale (as noted in the original post, I might add)! Check it out:

Apologies for thinking--wrongly--otherwise! Wow, cool job.

Steve
surfimp is offline Find More Posts by surfimp
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 08, 2004, 01:51 AM
Free as a bird now.
United States, FL, Punta Gorda
Joined May 2002
6,671 Posts
I was thinking the same thing Steve. On first glimpse I thought, "Cool, but that thing has been stretched way out of shape. I wonder what the real one really looked like..."

So I did a little web search and lo and behold, the real one looked exactly like
Bert's model! (Well at least the real one would have looked exactly like Bert's if it had ever gotten past the concept stage.)

Nice job on a very unusual subject Bert!
Brian Courtice is offline Find More Posts by Brian Courtice
Old Nov 08, 2004, 09:12 AM
That Freeking Laird Guy
United States, CA, Riverside
Joined Feb 2002
9,202 Posts
Been a while since I saw a pic of that plane. But I remember thinking when I saw a picture for the first time..." I thought Bob Martin designed the Coyote". turns out it was Bell Aircraft

TFLG
TFLG is offline Find More Posts by TFLG
Old Nov 08, 2004, 12:14 PM
Minnesota
Joined Oct 2004
6 Posts
Bell X-16

Yes SE Modeler is were the the idea came from. The Bell X-16 lost out to the sunk work project that produced the U-2 high altidude reconnaissance plane. I researched the X-16 for quite a while before building this model. There is very little real data on the airplane. I even tried to get information from Bell and the EAA in Oshkos. Very little of the data agreed between about 5 or six diffent sources on what the dimensions of this plane were. I used the dimensions that agreed on most of the documents. A full size fuse was mocked up for protype but the wings were never made. I had 2 sets of 3 view drawings and a copy of the picture above of the original prototype model. The three view in SE was the closest to true scale when scanned and enlarged. Still the X axis scale was different than the Y axis scale. I did Cad drawings as close to scale as I could, from the scanned outline to start this project. I always went by the dimensions when the drawing did not agree. This model is as close as I could build it using the building techniques I used. Everything with the exception of airfoil and vertical tail are within 1/4" in most cases less of my scale drawings. The canopy is more close to the 3 view drawings than the prototype model shown above. This was a fun project for me. I recieved many tips and support from members of our local soaring club (MRCSS).
Old Nov 08, 2004, 11:12 PM
David Cairns
Orange, CA
Joined Apr 2002
1,095 Posts
I have never heard of the X16 before!!! Looks like you did a very scale job on it.
dcairns is offline Find More Posts by dcairns