HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 07, 2004, 04:42 PM
Slow Tiger Stick Moth
Austin, Texas
Joined Oct 2003
178 Posts
I want my first LiPo

Ok, I've been wanting to get a LiPo battery (maybe 2) for some time. However, I can't figure out which one would be best for me.

I'm not looking for insane mAh, I think I want something like ~700mAh with somewhere around 7.4v..

What would be best for a little GWS IPS-100 motor? (for my TM)

Any suggestions welcome, no matter how bias they are!

edit: ESC too, keeping in mind it's for a IPS powered plane (TM and soon a MM Cessna 180)
edit: will a Eflite 10A ESC work? do i need a special LiPo ESC (or am i thikning brushless motors?)
Willie Levi is offline Find More Posts by Willie Levi
Last edited by Willie Levi; Nov 07, 2004 at 08:00 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 07, 2004, 06:17 PM
Panama City, Florida
Joined Jul 2003
289 Posts
for all my ips powered stuff I use 2s etec 700's. Been working great so far. At the low current level that the ips uses just about any batt. around that size will work great.

Julian
kf4mot is offline Find More Posts by kf4mot
Old Nov 07, 2004, 07:23 PM
Jim
North Alabama
Joined Mar 2004
1,866 Posts
I too am wanting to try lipo. I thought of getting one for my Moth. I don't know which one to get either. I'm thinking of trying the charger kit on ebay for 15.00. There is a link to it in "batt and chargers" forum tonight.

Jim
Jim_W is offline Find More Posts by Jim_W
Last edited by gravitygust; Nov 07, 2004 at 07:54 PM.
Old Nov 07, 2004, 07:27 PM
East Anglia, UK
Joined Sep 2002
29,705 Posts
I flew my IPS first on 2x kokam 560. Not great, but flew OK. Now I fly em on 3 x kokam 340, and drop 2" off the prop diameter, and boy,they fly like angels!

You get about 8w output on 2s LIPO, but nearly 15W on 3s LIPO, as long as current is held to 2A or so.

A hiuge differemnce.
vintage1 is offline Find More Posts by vintage1
Old Nov 07, 2004, 08:15 PM
Slow Tiger Stick Moth
Austin, Texas
Joined Oct 2003
178 Posts
Thanks for the comments and suggestions!

I'm looking at Balsapr.com (etec batteries) and I am seeing 2 batteries I like. There are two 700mAh ones, they're both about the same weight (35g), but one says 4.2A applications and one says 7A applications. I have a 10A Eflite ESC. Would I be ok going with the 7A continuous one? Or should I play it safe with the 4.2A one? They are both ~$22

Also, they come with JST connectors (which is what my ESC is using). What are your thoughts on that?

edit: I'd like to get my Dad to order it for me tonight. My 20th birthday today!
Last edited by Willie Levi; Nov 07, 2004 at 08:19 PM.
Old Nov 07, 2004, 08:43 PM
Jim
North Alabama
Joined Mar 2004
1,866 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willie Levi
Ok, I've been wanting to get a LiPo battery (maybe 2) for some time. However, I can't figure out which one would be best for me.

I'm not looking for insane mAh, I think I want something like ~700mAh with somewhere around 7.4v..

What would be best for a little GWS IPS-100 motor? (for my TM)

Any suggestions welcome, no matter how bias they are!

edit: ESC too, keeping in mind it's for a IPS powered plane (TM and soon a MM Cessna 180)
edit: will a Eflite 10A ESC work? do i need a special LiPo ESC (or am i thikning brushless motors?)
My bad on the ECS. I had brushless on the brain when I said CC10 esc. I edited it out of my post!

Jim
Old Nov 07, 2004, 08:43 PM
Panama City, Florida
Joined Jul 2003
289 Posts
The 7A etec's are the better deal, and won't be any less safe than the 4.5A.
For the ips jst's are fine, but I use deans micros on everything under 15A just so everything is the same and interchangable.
Old Nov 07, 2004, 08:46 PM
Slow Tiger Stick Moth
Austin, Texas
Joined Oct 2003
178 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kf4mot
The 7A etec's are the better deal, and won't be any less safe than the 4.5A.
For the ips jst's are fine, but I use deans micros on everything under 15A just so everything is the same and interchangable.
Thanks, I'll be staying with the JSTs if/until I move on to something else!

edit: Any other items that are necessary? How will I make sure I am no "over-discharging" then during flight?
Last edited by Willie Levi; Nov 07, 2004 at 08:59 PM.
Old Nov 07, 2004, 09:13 PM
Panama City, Florida
Joined Jul 2003
289 Posts
The expensive way is to get a CC pixie 7 and program it for a 6V cutoff. the cheap way is to land as soon as the power falls off. I have done both and both methods work well. Landing as soon as the power starts to sag works fine, just don't try to squeeze the last bit of power out of the batt.
Old Nov 07, 2004, 09:57 PM
Slow Tiger Stick Moth
Austin, Texas
Joined Oct 2003
178 Posts
Quote:
The expensive way is to get a CC pixie 7 and program it for a 6V cutoff. the cheap way is to land as soon as the power falls off. I have done both and both methods work well. Landing as soon as the power starts to sag works fine, just don't try to squeeze the last bit of power out of the batt.
Ok, thanks. I'll probably end up going with the cheap way.

One more thing. If I wanted to get more flight time. Could I safely go with the 1200mAh pack that says 12A continuous discharge rate (with my 10A esc)? edit: what's the danger here?

Hmm, might be an excuse to go for an ESC (higher amp rating) with a voltage cut-off.
Last edited by Willie Levi; Nov 07, 2004 at 09:59 PM.
Old Nov 07, 2004, 10:05 PM
Panama City, Florida
Joined Jul 2003
289 Posts
There's no danger going to a batt. with a higher rating. The ips is still going to draw aroung 2A. I would watch the batt. weight though. A lipo to big would weigh as much as a nimh. You're flight time would be alot longer but I like the lighter weight of lipo's personaly. I still get 20+ minutes with my 700's that's plenty long enough for me.
Old Nov 07, 2004, 10:09 PM
Slow Tiger Stick Moth
Austin, Texas
Joined Oct 2003
178 Posts
Quote:
There's no danger going to a batt. with a higher rating. The ips is still going to draw aroung 2A. I would watch the batt. weight though. A lipo to big would weigh as much as a nimh. You're flight time would be alot longer but I like the lighter weight of lipo's personaly. I still get 20+ minutes with my 700's that's plenty long enough for me.
Thanks, yeah I looked up the weight of my GWS NiCd that I'm currently using and it's about the same as the 1200, I suppose I'll just grab the 700 and see what it's like.

Thanks again..
Old Nov 08, 2004, 06:40 AM
Jim
North Alabama
Joined Mar 2004
1,866 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willie Levi
Thanks, yeah I looked up the weight of my GWS NiCd that I'm currently using and it's about the same as the 1200, I suppose I'll just grab the 700 and see what it's like.

Thanks again..
I currently use an Eflite 350mah NIMH in my TM. It weighs 64g or 2.25oz. If I go with a lipo, with twice the mah capacity, will I get double the flight times, or more than double due to the much lighter weight of the lipo?

Thanks, Jim.
Old Nov 08, 2004, 08:16 AM
Panama City, Florida
Joined Jul 2003
289 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gravitygust
I currently use an Eflite 350mah NIMH in my TM. It weighs 64g or 2.25oz. If I go with a lipo, with twice the mah capacity, will I get double the flight times, or more than double due to the much lighter weight of the lipo?

Thanks, Jim.

The lighter weight may get you a little more flight time depending on your throttle management. If you fly WOT the whole flight the lighter weight won't give you any more time.
Old Nov 08, 2004, 09:30 AM
Slow Tiger Stick Moth
Austin, Texas
Joined Oct 2003
178 Posts
Quote:
The lighter weight may get you a little more flight time depending on your throttle management. If you fly WOT the whole flight the lighter weight won't give you any more time.
I'm now considering the 450mAh one for the (significantly) lighter weight. I'm happy with the flight times I get with my 350mAh, so I'll aim for decreased weight overall.

WOT=without throttle? hmm