HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 07, 2004, 03:28 PM
Carlsbad, CA
Joined Sep 2004
4,429 Posts
San Diego Lunch Time Flying Site?

Anyone have a good flying site in San Deigo for some lunch time flying.

With the time change its dark when I go to work and when I get off of work.

Anyone fly at lunchtime near Montgomery field or near by?

I need all the practice I can get.

Ray
rockbus is offline Find More Posts by rockbus
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Multicopter News
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 07, 2004, 05:54 PM
PGR
Low AltiDude
United States, CA, Costa Mesa
Joined Jun 2004
7,912 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockbus
San Diego Lunch Time Flying Site?
So, would you call that Launch Time?

Sorry, I couldn't resist.

And I can't help you with the flying site. I'm about 100 miles to the north.

I've been known to bring a slow flyer to work and put on a mini airshow out in the yard. It's a target-rich environment, though, which doesn't make for very relaxed flying.

Pete
PGR is offline Find More Posts by PGR
Old Nov 07, 2004, 07:56 PM
San Diego/Las Vegas
Joined Sep 2004
1,311 Posts
Hi rockbus, I live in Mira Mesa near the Mira Mesa mall. I mostly fly at an empty lot and adjacent canyon very near my house.

There's an even better bigger park and grassy (accessible) open area I use in Rancho Penasquitos on Park Village Rd about 1/2 mile west of Black Mtn Rd.

The really huge area is in Poway, near the new Costco off of Scripps Poway Parkway and Tech Center Dr, but you need to share the road/runway with cars so I only fly here on weekends when it is quiet. Hey, I thermalled the Slow Stick yesterday there!! 10 minutes with the motor off. I had to land because my hand was going numb due to carpal tunnel.

Anyway, I hope one of these is close enough for you. Best Regards,

-Vince
vpatron is offline Find More Posts by vpatron
Last edited by vpatron; Nov 07, 2004 at 08:13 PM. Reason: (data bug in my cell phone web browser...)
Old Nov 07, 2004, 09:29 PM
Journeyman re-kitter
San Diego, Cali
Joined Oct 2003
50 Posts
near Montgomery Field...

There are a couple of areas about a mile away from the airport that I have flown at. There are at least three other guys I know that fly there in the mornings during the week and weekend. The main spot is a huge open field near 163 and Lightwave. We park on the south side of the field about mid-way between the inflatable area and the new construction. I'd like to go fly during the week at lunch, but I work in El Cajon near Gillespie Field. What do you fly????

John
inSANe DIEGO is offline Find More Posts by inSANe DIEGO
Old Nov 07, 2004, 10:18 PM
Carlsbad, CA
Joined Sep 2004
4,429 Posts
[QUOTE=inSANe DIEGO]There are a couple of areas about a mile away from the airport that I have flown at. There are at least three other guys I know that fly there in the mornings during the week and weekend. The main spot is a huge open field near 163 and Lightwave. We park on the south side of the field about mid-way between the inflatable area and the new construction. I'd like to go fly during the week at lunch, but I work in El Cajon near Gillespie Field. What do you fly????

Vince,

Mira Mesa is too far for me for a lunch time flight. Thanks for the info tho.

John,

I'm pretty good with a SlowStick that I got from Mike at Sureflite, he gave me a one battery lesson and the rest is history. I bought a E Starter Thursday and flew it for the first time this morning at Pontos (Carlsbad), broke the tail off on the third flight (battery crapped out during an aborted T/O). Fixed it and flew it again at sundown so I got about 5 t/o and landings with it. I like the Ailerons (did one OK roll and one crappy roll) and seems like a great plane when the winds make my SS go backwards. I also flew my WW Raider at the bluff where Palomar Airport Road hits PCH for the first time till the wind started to pick up too much for my skill level. The regulars there are the best.

Of the three I'm confident with the SS, but the wing is fun cause I dont have to stop to change batteries and its tough.

Ray
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 07, 2004, 10:56 PM
Where's your CofG?
San Diego
Joined Apr 2004
777 Posts
I work over near UTC and there's a park right next to work that's been calling me. Now that time has changed I plan to fly at lunch if anyone is near there.

Gibby
Gibby is offline Find More Posts by Gibby
Old Nov 08, 2004, 12:59 AM
Nimble with Gimbals
San Diego, CA
Joined Apr 2003
2,365 Posts
Ray,

It'd be great to have you fly with us where John mentioned earlier in the thread this weekend. Please PM me if you're interested in meeting up.

- Mike
Awakened is offline Find More Posts by Awakened
Old Nov 08, 2004, 01:15 PM
San Diego/Las Vegas
Joined Sep 2004
1,311 Posts
Hi guys, I have a flexible schedule and can meet up at either UTC or Lightwave. That Lightwave site sounds interesting.

I'll be out of the country for a few weeks, so I'll check in again when I get back. I fly a stock Slow Stick, a stock Combat Wings XE2 and am building a brushless Slofly Mini wing.

Mike, I was trying to find Sureflite last weekend, but couldn't find it. I have the address now and will stop by when I get back. I met Ron Stark when I was flying at my local dirt lot. I didn't know I had a LHS so close!

Regards, -Vince
vpatron is offline Find More Posts by vpatron
Old Nov 08, 2004, 08:30 PM
Where's your CofG?
San Diego
Joined Apr 2004
777 Posts
If I'm not intruding, I would be interested in coming out the the Lightwave site on a weekend sometime. A lot of my usual park locations have soccer and baseball leagues going on right now on the weekends. I'll be out of town this weekend but next might work if anyone will be out there.

Gibby
Gibby is offline Find More Posts by Gibby
Old Nov 08, 2004, 09:05 PM
Nimble with Gimbals
San Diego, CA
Joined Apr 2003
2,365 Posts
Awesome! It's always great to have new fliers come out. I just hope the site lasts a while longer.
Old Nov 08, 2004, 09:25 PM
Journeyman re-kitter
San Diego, Cali
Joined Oct 2003
50 Posts
Mike. What time will you guys be out this weekend? Saturday or Sunday? I should have the Concorde ready to go and my Formosa airworthy again.

John
inSANe DIEGO is offline Find More Posts by inSANe DIEGO
Old Nov 08, 2004, 09:58 PM
Nimble with Gimbals
San Diego, CA
Joined Apr 2003
2,365 Posts
I always arrive by 7:30 AM on both days.
Old Nov 09, 2004, 10:56 AM
Carlsbad, CA
Joined Sep 2004
4,429 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Awakened
I always arrive by 7:30 AM on both days.
I'll try to make it this weekend. Can you guys give me directions from Carlsbad.
RCG Plus Member