SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Feb 21, 2002, 11:24 PM
Joined Feb 2002
5 Posts
Got my new Hummer !!!

I finally got my Hummer and, let me tell you, it was worth the wait. Beautiful design, beautiful craftsmanship, and truly an ARF! Pretty much everything is already done - ailerons and elevator are cut and gapsealed (with torgue rods for ailerons and pushrod for elevator put in during molding) and the wing and stabilator have been mounted to the fuse. All I need to do is put in the radio and motor and go fly!!

I first saw the Hummer when Mark Triebes and Steve Clasen flew them at an electric event in Antioch, CA last fall. I talked with Mark (the designer and builder) a few times and finally ordered one a couple of months ago. I found out that Mark is a well-know glider guy and has been designing and building composite planes for over ten years. His experience and skills definitely show. If you think only the Europeans can make beautiful planes, you're in for a surprise.

Just this last weekend I saw Steve flying another Hummer (I heard it was actually Mark's personal "toy") powered by, I think, an Aveox 1005/3 . . . WOW!!!! The plane was unbelievably fast and, with Steve at the controls, was as smooth as can be. This got me really excited and I was thrilled when mine showed up just a few days later!!

Sorry if I'm gushing over this plane, but I just had to share my feelings, as I think this is one of the most exciting designs I've seen in some time. Here's a photo of the parts right out of the box. I'll let you all know how it fly's after the weekend.

Charles
CharlesPB is offline Find More Posts by CharlesPB
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 22, 2002, 02:40 AM
DH
Alaska/SoCal
Joined Jan 2001
128 Posts
Me too.......

Mine should be here(california) today or tomorrow......I can't wait. Hopefully I'll have time to fly it before I head back to Alaska... I missed seeing Steve fly his with the one bladed prop...I guess it really scooted.

Charles your pic did not show up...Which color did you get?

Cheers

DH
DH is offline Find More Posts by DH
Old Feb 22, 2002, 06:54 PM
Joined Feb 2002
5 Posts
Oops . . . sorry guys . . . I'll work on getting that photo attached!

Charles
Old Feb 22, 2002, 11:51 PM
Caution:Makes sharp left turns
United States, CA, Lake Forest
Joined Feb 1999
6,011 Posts
Re: Got my new Hummer !!!

Quote:
Originally posted by CharlesPB
Just this last weekend I saw Steve flying another Hummer (I heard it was actually Mark's personal "toy") powered by, I think, an Aveox 1005/3 . . . WOW!!!!
Can you say "Bandit Class"?? I thought you could
The Hummer is a sweet little plane.
Troy is offline Find More Posts by Troy
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 23, 2002, 01:15 AM
Joined Feb 2002
5 Posts
Here's another shot at getting that photo to show up!!

Charles
Old Feb 23, 2002, 01:17 AM
Joined Feb 2002
5 Posts
It worked!! Here's another shot of the wing . . . notice the high glossy finish, etc.
Old Feb 23, 2002, 01:28 AM
Mark Triebes
Elk Grove, CA
Joined Sep 2001
882 Posts
Hey Charles . . .

Thanks for the kind words . . . it's nice to be appreciated!

And, yes, Steve was flying my Hummer (the Green Machine) at San Diego. It's equipped with an Aveox 1005/3, Castle Creation's Dragon controller, and 7 500AR's. This is a great combination . . . lotsa HP!!!

Here's a good shot of that plane for your viewing pleasure.

Mark Triebes
NoCal
MarcusT is offline Find More Posts by MarcusT
Old Feb 23, 2002, 07:01 PM
Carbon fiber is our friend
United States, CA, Lodi
Joined Feb 2001
4,214 Posts
Charles,

You're in for some fun with this plane. Enjoy!

Troy, I was hoping to see you at MWE. I ditched the Rocket motor and fitted a regular Graupner 6V and my own prop (like you were expecting last time ). The speed is much more inline with a Stinger now and you already know how it turns. It gets to the turns before I'm ready now! Unfortunately, the weather kept us from finding out if this is the ultimate combo. Either way, I'm really happy with it.

Steve C
Steve C is online now Find More Posts by Steve C
Old Feb 25, 2002, 02:49 PM
Joined Feb 2002
5 Posts
It's FAST!!!

I was able to get out yesterday and fly the Hummer for the first time. No need for any suspense here. It flew GREAT!

With the instruction sheet that's included with the kit (including detailed photos of the radio installation) the plane went together very fast and, after talking with Mark about control throws, etc., I set up the radio and the cg exactly to the numbers included in the instructions.

I was with my friend the first time he flew his Stinger, and it took him at least 3 flights to get it trimmed out. After this, it was still a handful to fly. We figured that this was something you just had to live with to get that kind of performance. Let me tell you, the Hummer is a whole different story. It flew right out of my hand and took only a couple of clicks of down trim to be just right. In fact, this plane is actually easy to fly and seems every bit as fast as the Stinger.

I'm just thrilled with this plane. In fact, like we talked about the other day when I called you Mark, put me down for a couple more Hummers (my friend Mike wants one too). I want a spare just in case the unthinkable happens!

When is the first race?!?!?!

Charles
Old Feb 26, 2002, 11:50 AM
Montreal, QC, Canada
Joined Oct 2001
336 Posts
Is there a website that describes a bit more that Hummer?

LD
dionnel is offline Find More Posts by dionnel
Old Feb 26, 2002, 09:00 PM
DH
Alaska/SoCal
Joined Jan 2001
128 Posts
Hummer mania!!!

Flew mine three times today.....What a nice flying airplane. Its almost as fast, with a speed 400, as my VIP with the fun 400/23. I think its easier to fly than the VIP, too...

Nice job Mark!!! You certainly know your business, mister.

I might be stopping by to pick up one of those "broken" props, on my way north. Is it OK if I go thru your garbage?

Later

DH
Old Feb 26, 2002, 09:37 PM
Kutztown, PA
Joined Feb 2001
372 Posts
Wow, what are the specs and how might I purchase one?

Thanks, Dan

Quote:
Originally posted by MarcusT
Hey Charles . . .

Thanks for the kind words . . . it's nice to be appreciated!

And, yes, Steve was flying my Hummer (the Green Machine) at San Diego. It's equipped with an Aveox 1005/3, Castle Creation's Dragon controller, and 7 500AR's. This is a great combination . . . lotsa HP!!!

Here's a good shot of that plane for your viewing pleasure.

Mark Triebes
NoCal
dmccoach is offline Find More Posts by dmccoach
Old Feb 26, 2002, 09:48 PM
Mark Triebes
Elk Grove, CA
Joined Sep 2001
882 Posts
Hummer Details

After answering lots of emails about the new Hummer, I figured I would finally just make a post here with all the details in an effort to save a little time. We're working on a web page, but until its ready, this will have to do . . .

Let's get down to it . . . the Hummer is an all-molded Speed 400 pylon racer made here in the good old USA. It features skin-hinging, custom color gel-coating, and all the latest in composite fabrication techniques. The plane comes pretty much ready to fly: the ailerons and elevator are totally hinged and gap-sealed, aileron torque rods and linkage are installed, elevator horn and pushrod are installed, wing is mounted to fuse (pin in front, screw in back) and stab is mounted to the top of fin. Basically, install your 2 (or 3 - I choose to use a servo for each aileron) sub-micro servos and motor and you're ready to go.

Servo installation is fairly simple . . . aileron servo(s) is glued to bottom of wing and extends down into fuselage . . . elevator servo is glued into the fuse behind the wing . . . there is a small access hatch in the fuse that makes installation of the elevator servo very easy.

Performance of the Hummer has been exactly what we were looking for . . . the plane has great straight line speed, but also has the ability to turn hard AND to hold energy during the turns.

The Hummer spans 26.5 inches, has 86 square inches of wing area, and weighs in from 13 to 15 ounces, depending on your choice of radio equipment. Price is $170.00 . . .

Mark Triebes
Elk Grove, CA USA

You can get in touch with me by emailing to AcmeMachines@aol.com
MarcusT is offline Find More Posts by MarcusT
Old Feb 26, 2002, 10:43 PM
DH
Alaska/SoCal
Joined Jan 2001
128 Posts
Quick assembly

I built mine in an evening.... I used 3 JR 241 micros. 2 for the ailerons and 1 for the elevator. Assembly is just as Mark said above. The instructions are clear and pictures are in color. The little trap door for the elevator servo is really nice and it makes it easy to position the RX, too. I took the case off a superslim and shrinkwrapped it. It fits nicely behind the elev. servo. I was going to use a Berg 6, but decided not to chance it(probably unfounded) with this plane. The hardest part was the motor mount(I'm grading on a curve). I used the supplied wood mount and used Tire CA (thanks Dieter for the idea) to adhere it inside the nose.
Mounting the servos is a piece of cake. All the hard stuff is already done so that means less for me to screw up. Throw in a speed 400 , a 5x5 cam prop, 8x500ar or 8x600ae(what I used) and you have a fun, easy to fly, corner carving, pylon racer. And it looks cool, too!!! I might have to transplant the fun 400 into the Hummer at a later date.

Cheers

DH