HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 05, 2004, 06:57 PM
RC Electronics, Inc.
USA
Joined Nov 2004
16 Posts
New "Watt's Up" Watt Meter Adds Case Colors, Peak Amps, Min. Volts and More

RC Electronics is pleased to announce that our “Watt’s Up” watt meter is now in stock and available for purchase in three colors - Onyx, Kryptonite and Electric Blue. The latter two are transparent colors.

Instead of just wondering, “Watt’s Up” helps you know important things like, current through your ESC and motor, battery health and actual charge.

We humbly think “Watt’s Up” offers the best balance of power analyzer features on the market.

In addition to the features you expect in a watt meter, we've added some unique features including:
  • Capture of peak amps and minimum volts over the measurement duration
  • Connecting a receiver battery to the auxiliary power input allows measurements down to 0 volts e.g. you can measure a single battery cell
  • Resolutions of 0.01 A, 0.01 V, 0.001 Ah, 0.1 W and 0.1 Wh over entire operating ranges
  • Designed to handle 3000 W (60 V x 50 A) continuously and 6000 W (100 A) for shorter durations
  • Small size – like a big pack of gum, and weight – 2.5 oz. So you can pack more gear
A picture of the Kryptonite version next to the two other available colors is attached.

The introductory price is $59.95 with FREE SHIPPING and we are giving a discount if you buy more than one.

You can get more information on the Watt's Up RC Watt Meter and buy it on-line at our website. “Watt’s Up” is also available at select dealers.

We are looking for more product reviewers. Please contact us if you are interested and have relevant experience.

Thanks for taking the time to consider "Watt's Up"!

-The RC Electronics Team
RCElec is offline Find More Posts by RCElec
Site Sponsor
Last edited by RCElec; Mar 22, 2005 at 12:17 PM. Reason: Corrections
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 08, 2004, 06:29 PM
Right Honorable Member
Chicago Midway, Illinois, United States
Joined Jul 2003
517 Posts
Is there a button to alternate the display mode, or is it automatic?
flatfour is offline Find More Posts by flatfour
Old Nov 09, 2004, 12:12 AM
RC Electronics, Inc.
USA
Joined Nov 2004
16 Posts
Quote:
Is there a button to alternate the display mode, or is it automatic?
A good question that we should have addressed.
No, there is no button.
The two display screens alternate continuously every three seconds. You can tell which is which by the presence of the 'p' and 'm' suffixes indicating Amps peak and Volts minimum.
Thanks for asking.
-K
Site Sponsor
Old Nov 09, 2004, 10:37 AM
Seattle, Washington, United States, University of Washington
Joined Feb 2003
423 Posts
What is the sampling rate of "Watt’s Up” watt meter?
Does it use a sample-and-hold circuit?
Will it capture short time duration spikes in voltage?
If so, what is the shortest time of a spike it can capture?
Thanks.
jbeanelliott is offline Find More Posts by jbeanelliott
Old Nov 09, 2004, 02:51 PM
RC Electronics, Inc.
USA
Joined Nov 2004
16 Posts
Quote:
What is the sampling rate of "Watt’s Up” watt meter?
Does it use a sample-and-hold circuit?
Will it capture short time duration spikes in voltage?
If so, what is the shortest time of a spike it can capture?
This can be a complicated subject, but I think the simple answers are appropriate, so here they are.

Yes, there is a sample-and-hold (s/h).
A sample is collected by the s/h every millisecond so the sample rate is 1000 samples/sec.
Every 400 mS (0.4 S) the display on the "Watt's Up" is updated with the average of the last 400 samples and with the peak Amps and minimum Volts captured.

A spike that occurs during a single sample (1 mS) will be captured and used for the Peak Current and Minimum Voltage. Unless the spike lasts the entire sample time, it may not be reported accurately (as it is averaged over the 1mS sample). So the simple answer is that a spike must last at least 1 mS to be accurately captured, but see the next paragraph.

A caveat all s/h circuits have is that if the signal situation is changing very rapidly the s/h value may understate the change from the prior sample. For example, if the current goes from 0 to 100 Amps for 1 mS and back to 0 Amps over a 3 mS interval, the "Watt's Up" may show a peak value less than 100 Amps. However, that's an unlikely scenerio in RC model applications.
I hope I've answered your questions.
Thanks for asking.
-K
Site Sponsor
Old Nov 12, 2004, 01:30 PM
one game away...
Willoughby, Ohio
Joined Apr 2004
3,891 Posts
Just got mine in the mail today. Very happy with it so far in limited use.

matt
PerfectStranger is offline Find More Posts by PerfectStranger
Last edited by mattalbr; Dec 08, 2004 at 04:27 PM.
Old Dec 02, 2004, 06:25 PM
Northern CA
Joined Apr 2003
116 Posts
I see that the Wattsup device has 100amp maximum; just out of curiosity, what happens if you try to measure more than 100 amps?
sharam is offline Find More Posts by sharam
Old Dec 08, 2004, 03:20 PM
RC Electronics, Inc.
USA
Joined Nov 2004
16 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sharam
I see that the Wattsup device has 100amp maximum; just out of curiosity, what happens if you try to measure more than 100 amps?
Another good question. You planning on building an Arc Welder? Just Kidding <g>.
The "Watt's UP" has no set maximum values on its measurement abilities.

The maximum values it can measure depend on the measurement dynamic range left after calibrating the device's components to deliver at least the guaranteed specifications. Put another way, we must sacrifice some measurement range to compensate for manufacturing tolerances in the components that make up the "Watt's Up."

So some units may measure as much as 120A, but this is not guaranteed. This is why there is no "overrange indication". We want to allow for the most your individual unit can measure beyond the guaranteed amounts in the specifications.

Keep in mind that while able to make the measurement, you may be exceeding the safe operating limits of the device. At 120 Amps, device heating is the limitation.

I hope I've answered your question and thanks for asking.
-K
Site Sponsor
Old Dec 08, 2004, 08:18 PM
Old Timer
CARMICHAEL, CALIFORNIA USA
Joined Apr 2001
3,840 Posts
I just received mine and it seems like a very nice device. I do not, however, like the 3 second switching of the displays. I would much prefer a button or at least a longer interval.
California Condor is offline Find More Posts by California Condor
Old Dec 09, 2004, 07:46 PM
RC Electronics, Inc.
USA
Joined Nov 2004
16 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by California Condor
I just received mine and it seems like a very nice device. I do not, however, like the 3 second switching of the displays. I would much prefer a button or at least a longer interval.
Thanks, glad you like it.
We appreciate your feedback regarding the display alternation interval. Can you tell us more about how you use it and what you would like the timing for the display screens to be?
Thanks!
-K
Site Sponsor
Old Dec 09, 2004, 08:29 PM
Old Timer
CARMICHAEL, CALIFORNIA USA
Joined Apr 2001
3,840 Posts
I fly Old Timers (SAM SOS) and it is a help in optimising power systems for maximum duration. All very low power. I much would prefer a button/switch but an interval of about 10 seconds would help.
California Condor is offline Find More Posts by California Condor
Old Dec 10, 2004, 10:48 AM
North Central Positronics
USA, GA, Centerville
Joined Dec 2002
3,303 Posts
It almost seems that I should have one of these :-)

Bill Davenport
AMA 28141
badbill is offline Find More Posts by badbill
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 20, 2004, 02:00 PM
BEC
Auburn, Washington USA
Joined Jan 2001
12,935 Posts
Review is up on the Ezone main page.
BEC is offline Find More Posts by BEC
Old Jan 03, 2005, 09:14 PM
RC Electronics, Inc.
USA
Joined Nov 2004
16 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by California Condor
I fly Old Timers (SAM SOS) and it is a help in optimising power systems for maximum duration. All very low power. I much would prefer a button/switch but an interval of about 10 seconds would help.
Do you mean you would like 10 seconds of Amps, Volts, Watts & Ah and then 3 seconds (or some other value) of peak Amps, voltage minimum, Watts and Wh?

Thanks much for your answer and sorry for the delay replying.
-K
Site Sponsor
Old Jan 13, 2005, 09:20 PM
MDKing
USA, TX, Sherman
Joined Jun 2004
98 Posts
I got mine for Christmas, and for the first time in the 10 months I have been flying electrics, I now know what my "actual" Voltage pull, Current(I), and Power(W) truely is. I have used my Watts meter on SS running Brushless system, Unicorn, running a CC45/Mega 16/15/3, 9cell 1400AA and 11.1 Lipos, I love this thing.
BUT!!!!!
Having a button, or switch of somesort to toggle back and forth would be nice. Also the sampling rate would be nice around 200ms with averaging. Being able to download through a USB cable to an computer to graph this would also be nice, not on this hand held unit but something like it. I know there are others out there that does this, but you have sold me on your products.

Regards, and thank you.

Mark D King
Sherman TX
mvking@cableone.net
MDKING is offline Find More Posts by MDKING