HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 05, 2004, 05:27 PM
Joined Sep 2004
81 Posts
Should I be flying in HH Mode?

Just got a GY204 Gyro. The HH mode seems to work fine, but its kinda hard to fly like that because when flying around like a field or something you constantly have to point the nose with the tail. It seems easier or better to me when in yaw mode that the tail weather vanes and kinda just follows the nose when it FF flight. Whats your opinion on this? I will agree HH is real cool for hovering in my back yard and performing stunts ie. landing on bar stools!! or flying backwards.
HeyRobi is offline Find More Posts by HeyRobi
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 05, 2004, 05:41 PM
San Carlos, California, United States
Joined May 2002
7,640 Posts
Most people seem to recommend using HH mode all the time.

If you use yaw rate mode, you become "sloppy" and don't properly control the tail. This will prevent you from learning interesting tricks later on.

Toshi
TMorita is offline Find More Posts by TMorita
Old Nov 05, 2004, 06:16 PM
A man with too many toys
United States
Joined Feb 2001
17,624 Posts
You should fly HH 100% of the time. It may be harder at first but if you ever plan on learning 3D you need to learn to use HH and control the tail 100% of the time.

I started in the old days (before HH gyros) and it was difficult to make the transition to HH. If you learn HH from the beginning your learning will progress faster in the long run.

RC
RC Man is offline Find More Posts by RC Man
Old Nov 05, 2004, 06:31 PM
Joined Sep 2004
81 Posts
The frustrating part is on the simulator there is not an option for HH and on my dragonfly I dont have HH gyro so its hard to transition! But I will take your advice and keep practicing! I will just pretend its my only option! It seems another part of the problem I just can't get my corona real stable! I think I am going to get a Trex and start fresh!
Old Nov 05, 2004, 09:29 PM
San Carlos, California, United States
Joined May 2002
7,640 Posts
I don't know what simulator you're using, but at least Realflight G2 supports both yaw rate and heading hold gyros.

Toshi
TMorita is offline Find More Posts by TMorita
Old Nov 06, 2004, 12:06 AM
Joined Sep 2004
81 Posts
I have Real Flight but its the Lite version
Old Nov 06, 2004, 01:51 AM
Our Daddy and Heli Junkie
In Heli Wonderland
Joined Aug 1999
22,799 Posts
I think flying in the rate mode will teach you more. Play with it both ways and see which you like.

If you are lazy with it in HH all the time, if you loose a gyro you will never save it!
Fred Bronk is offline Find More Posts by Fred Bronk
Old Nov 06, 2004, 06:50 AM
Pittsburgh Allegheny, Pennsylvania, United States
Joined May 2004
1,188 Posts
I thought it was just me!!!

I got my first HH Gyro this past summer, and I couldn't get the heli to turn to save my life. I would always be flying sideways out of a turn. But now... I like the fact that I have "Fly" the tail, and I leave the gyro in HH all the time.

Oh... BTW... I also think it's good to practace with the gyro in rate mode... it's just a different feel. But, it you loose a gyro... you probably won't have any tail control.

Hey... RC MAN... I started in the realy old days. MY cricket didn't have any gyro Makes your thumbs work overtime.
Dr Honda is offline Find More Posts by Dr Honda