Old Nov 05, 2004, 05:26 PM
Gearhead gone Flyin'!
Baytown, Texas, United States
Joined Jul 2004
149 Posts
Question
Glue, tape and the whole mess....

Hey gang!

I've been busy trying my hand at more and more foam plane ideas, and think I may have even stumbled onto a few of my own designs. But I got a couple more questions. I have done a pretty extensive search on here for the most widely used products, but seem to come up short handed as to WHAT most people DO use! Anyone think they can help me with any of this?

I see a ton of planes being built with this puffy cream colored glue. Something like this from another thread I was searching:

What is this stuff? SUPER thick CA? Expand-a-foam? Belly lint collection with Elmer's glue? Anyone?

Also, I see a vast set of colors and styles of coverings out there, and see people talking about packing tape. Personally though, I have never seen packing tape in some of the colors used here though (chrome, fluorescents, neon, etc.). Would 2 mil. vinyl be a good substitute? I have plenty of that, and have tried covering a set of junk tail feathers with it. Seemed to work pretty good and cuts GREAT, just wasn't sure if it was bad to use (read: weight).

I know they sound like age old questions, I just wanted to see if I could get a couple common answers for them in one central place.

Thanks in advance everyone and have a FLIGHT-tastic weekend!

~MyDeSoto~
mocarz@mocarz.com
http://www.mocarz.com - Home of the R/C Flyer Shirts!
MyDeSoto is offline Find More Posts by MyDeSoto
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 05, 2004, 05:51 PM
Gainesville, Florida, United States
Joined Sep 2001
1,456 Posts
Probond, aka Elmer's Ultimate Glue, aka Gorilla Glue, aka polyurethane glue. Light, VERY strong, and relatively cheap compared to epoxy or foam CA. However, it takes 4-5 hours to completely cure and expands when it dries.

2 mil vinyl is probably heavier than covering like Econokote or Solite.
stjobs is offline Find More Posts by stjobs
Old Nov 05, 2004, 08:11 PM
Southern Pride
Haralson County GA. USA
Joined Oct 2004
34,659 Posts
Colored covering tape. Packing tape

http://www.allerc.com/index.php?cPat...7247337d5ca520

Gorilla Glue, aka polyurethane glue available at craft stores such as Micheals and yes it expands 300-400% so use sparingly. It is best to practice on some scrap pieces first. Extremely strong and light.

Charles
everydayflyer is offline Find More Posts by everydayflyer
Old Nov 05, 2004, 10:02 PM
Gearhead gone Flyin'!
Baytown, Texas, United States
Joined Jul 2004
149 Posts
Thanks a million for the heads-up guys! I really do appreciate it!

Now that I have a better grasp of it, and a materials list, I know what to look for this weekend on my hobbyshop trips.

Take care all!!
~MyDeSoto~
mocarz@mocarz.com
http://www.mocarz.com - Home of the R/C Flyer Shirts!
MyDeSoto is offline Find More Posts by MyDeSoto
Old Nov 07, 2004, 04:40 AM
Will fly for food
Maryland
Joined Sep 2004
8,424 Posts
A lot of this stuff is from other than hobby shops. Craft shops, places like Home Depot, etc. Even WalMart and K-Mart.
Pinecone is offline Find More Posts by Pinecone