Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Nov 05, 2004, 03:13 PM
Plane psycho
Trondheim Vaernes, Norway
Joined Jan 2003
85 Posts
MPX Twinstar, waterplane???

I got an Ts thats in the hangar for repairs (The turf god claimed an offering), and I'm looking to modify it.
After read this thread for a while, I have started to think that the TS might have what it takes to become a water plane too.

Have anyone tryed this???
I've read somewere one bloke was thinking of modifying his TS to a stand off Cl-215/415... I think I wan't to mod mine into a Cl-415, It looks alot nicer with those turboprop units.

I'll just going to toss some ideas on the table on how to give the TS fuselage a boat shape... Any other ideas are welcome.

Here goes:

#1 SAND IT!!! ( but no... migth end up with a big pile of foampellets)

#2 HOTWIRE IT!!! ( simply somehow cut a v-boat shape to the exiting fuselage...)

#3 EXTREM MAKEOVER!!! ( Cut off like the lower half of the fuselage and replace it with a big block of foam, then hotwire/sand in the boat shape)

What do you think???
Insanety is offline Find More Posts by Insanety
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 05, 2004, 04:44 PM
Central California
Joined Aug 2003
1,137 Posts
I think if you put some floats on the wingtips you'd be good to go. Keep us posted.
Ledbetter is offline Find More Posts by Ledbetter
Old Nov 10, 2004, 11:20 PM
H2OFLY
Portland Oregon USA
Joined Feb 2000
2,509 Posts
#3 will give you best results.

Tip for the tip floats: Get them to be only max 3/8 inch out of the water (one tip float) when the boat is in smooth water, resting on one wing tip. Otherwise, taking off can be a pain...or a lot of water-loops.

Been there

Terry
temacc is offline Find More Posts by temacc
Old Nov 14, 2004, 11:26 AM
N.E. Ohio
Joined Feb 2004
44 Posts
lets not forget that it needs a "step" at the CG to reduce surface tension & gather speed.

***out of watts, altitude, & ideas" ***
rckamikaze is offline Find More Posts by rckamikaze
Old Dec 09, 2004, 06:44 AM
Joined Dec 2004
11 Posts
Perfect flying boat made from MPX Twinstar easily !

Hi,
I build a flying boat from the twinstar with ease using a big dense foam block glued underneath the existing fuselage, after we cut off the rounded shape of its belly. The new flying boat shape is PERFECT and it gets on the step and airborne very fast. Off Course it also has Wingtip floats, which work great if they are done Right ! Those we made form dense foam, too. They have to have a razor knife sharp trailing edge to work right, that assures that they dont drag hard in the water. The tipfloats have a thick Airfoil shape and a angle of attack that gives them a nose up to the water surface when the Flying Boat stits dead in the water. The lengh of the struts for them is done so that when standing still both tipfloats are theoretically fust barely toutching the water surface. This means in reallity that on float is in the water while the other one is just barely above it when standing still. With this and a good even weight in the wings distribution(Like ANY Airplane should have that!) it easy to turn and steer and get the float out of the water. I will email pictures of the model that show it flying in ALASKA in summer of 2001. It has two steps on the belly, both an inch high, the first behind the center of gravity, the second well behind the trailing edge of the wing, halfway to the leading edge of the tail.
Best wishes,
LarsG
LarsG is offline Find More Posts by LarsG
Old Dec 10, 2004, 06:23 AM
Plane psycho
Trondheim Vaernes, Norway
Joined Jan 2003
85 Posts
Welcome LarsG!!!

I'm thinking of doing like you did. just cut off the round bottom, and glue a big chunck of foam. I'd realy like to see your pic. did you use the standard setup?? (Eg. 2xspeed400 on gunthers 5x5).....
My seatwinstar mod is at the moment on stand by, I'm still buliding a F/A-18 parkjet (jetsett44 plans. Look up "www.3dfoamy.com") . but as soon as I get done with that, I'll fire up my hot-wire and get started...
Insanety is offline Find More Posts by Insanety
Old Dec 10, 2004, 08:20 AM
Joined Sep 2004
14 Posts
Pics please

Hi Lars - I'm sure lots of folk would like to see any pics you have of your twinstar conversion. Any chance you could put them on this site?
kayecy is offline Find More Posts by kayecy
Old Mar 19, 2005, 11:54 AM
Joined Dec 2004
11 Posts
Ideal MultiplexTwinstar Flyingboat=Late Pictures! (sorry!)

Hi,
very sorry to come up with bad pictures that late, but just didnt get around to do it, so now I still have to get better scans. There are two other planes of mine, a Blohm&Voss BV138, being a all wood construction with 3 speed 400 and the Grumman Widgeon G44 with two speed 400. this is a foam carved one with glass surfaces, very fast and nasty! Has long TO run and long landing due to weight and small wing. But fun!
Regards,
Lars
Old Mar 29, 2005, 10:36 AM
Karim:Student/Model Flyer
Egypt, Cairo Governorate, Nasr City
Joined Sep 2004
275 Posts
Make sure you seal up the canopy so no water gets into the electronics or you'll get your self a smoke system
Flying Scotsman is offline Find More Posts by Flying Scotsman
Old Apr 03, 2005, 03:09 PM
Joined Dec 2004
11 Posts
MPX Twinstar flyingboat easy way

Hi,
Yeah the Twinstar #s front hatch doesnt do any good when flying on water, it allways takes on water through this hatch, if its not modified & sealed.
I should add that my twinstar flyingboat has a HOLLOW BOAT HULL and the original fuselage has a series of holes in the belly so that water wich gets in, can go into the "BILGE" and stay there, without upsetting the electronics. This setting works even with leaks, very well. The MPX twinstar tail tends to leak water, by the way of the elevator and rudder controlls, too! That was the main problem on my model. Sorry that the pictures of it are so bad. Will try for better ones ASAP. this picture of it was in FAIRBANKS ; ALASKA ; summer 2001 ! There is a lot of RC flying going on there too. The G44 picture was in Germany.
Regards,
LarsG
Old Sep 14, 2005, 12:45 AM
Joined Jan 2004
91 Posts
Hi Lars, I have been thinking of the same thing; convert the new twinstar II to a seaplane, similar to canadair. Any chance you could post some specs and measurements of your hull design and tip floats and some photos? Sounds like a great idea. Thanks, Lewis
Lewis is offline Find More Posts by Lewis
Old Sep 15, 2005, 12:51 PM
Joined Dec 2004
11 Posts
Twinstar Flyingboat easy

Hi,
sorry I cannot measure the model or take more pictures !
I am in Germany now and the Plane in in the basement in Eagle River Alaska!
CAN only say; make the floats about an inch diameter and two inch long at least,
make sure the trailing edge of the is sharp, really sharp, so they wont tend to stick to the water! Mine have airfoil shape and work great....
they have a positive angle of incidence when plane floats....
the step on the hull is like at least one inch high on my plane...
its a little bit behind the center of gravity like two inch....
the second step needs to be further aft then on my plane, it was done too close to the first step on it....needs to be AT LEAST halfway to the tail, so the horizontal doesnt dragg on the water !
You need a lot of buyoancy to get the props out of the water and the nose up, too.
Hull needs to be at least 2,5 or 3 inches deeper under the existing fuselage !
Regards,
Lars
www.flyingboxcar.com