HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 05, 2004, 11:16 AM
Admin...NOT!!!
Corvallis, Oregon, United States
Joined Aug 2004
375 Posts
Alert
Hosting requests suspended

Free webhosting is a victim of its own success.

RCGroups free webhosting has grown beyond anyone's wildest imaginings, to the point where, as many of you have noticed, the sheer quantity of traffic is starting to negatively affect the quality and availability of the service.

We have approximately 700 accounts. Even though we don't offer full support, just the management of so many accounts has become an issue, not to mention the bandwidth clogging. Some tightening up needs to happen mainly so we can justify continuing the service.

For now, I have disabled the form that sends new requests.
We will continue to run the service for existing accounts, and
we will deal with requests that are already in the queue.

Meanwhile, if you have suggestions, post them here.
colleen is offline Find More Posts by colleen
Last edited by colleen; Nov 05, 2004 at 11:19 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 05, 2004, 12:33 PM
Motorized lawn dart
United States, MS, Columbia
Joined Nov 2003
2,152 Posts
Can I pay for webhosting?
Mopar92 is offline Find More Posts by Mopar92
Old Nov 05, 2004, 03:04 PM
Just a North Vegas flyer
North Las Vegas NV
Joined Mar 2002
500 Posts
Suggetions for format of the site? I see that some seem to have used the same basic web pages, with "hangar" and that sort of thing.

How could I find that format?

Richard Ranney
rick121x is offline Find More Posts by rick121x
Old Nov 05, 2004, 06:29 PM
Admin...NOT!!!
Joined Aug 2004
375 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mopar92
Can I pay for webhosting?
That is an option being considered. If we end up charging it will be reasonable and hopefully only for sites with higher bandwidth requirements. I would still like to offer free or almost free hosting for small personal sites.
Old Nov 07, 2004, 07:11 AM
Nova Scotia Canada
Joined Sep 2003
157 Posts
I for one would be willing to pay a reasonable fee.
John Hawkins is offline Find More Posts by John Hawkins
Old Nov 08, 2004, 03:18 AM
Fun is what matters!
Porto, Portugal
Joined Apr 2003
172 Posts
Me too, we have a little forum in portuguese, thats increading in users, and with posts. We don't mind to pay a fee to have it up and running smoothly.

Paulo
http://rcmporto.rchomepage.com/forum
Pmagall is online now Find More Posts by Pmagall
Old Nov 08, 2004, 12:01 PM
[intentionally blank]
Cheshire, CT, USA
Joined Jan 2001
1,528 Posts
I hate to say "I told ya so" but when the service first started a lot of us said "how can you do this", knowing full well it would grow very quickly. My own vote is that webhosting bandwidth become more limited if the page is free, and that any postings of video clips that increase bandwidth over a nominal amount gets charged. I think the bandwidth is very easily eaten up by a single posting of a video on a popular forum.

I also think that webhosting should become more self-service. Turn this group into a help group, as most of the changes people need to make to their pages are simple and not the responsibility of the webhosting moderator. Those of us who have done this before are more than happy to help folks through the setup process. Essentially folks should be able to set up their own pages, point the DNS servers etc. on their own or should be able to find the answer by searching here. No negative points for flaming people for not searching!

Please, please, please do whatever you can to keep free hosting in some form! (oh, and access to the incredible server maintenance tools, this has been an avenue for learning all on its own) Thanks!
fprintf is offline Find More Posts by fprintf
Old Nov 08, 2004, 06:33 PM
most exalted one
United States, CA, Hemet
Joined Aug 2002
3,567 Posts
Maybe look at the guys using the feature and no credit given. Videos, forums, etc. etc. and no rcgroups mention that I can see.

Some sites are obvious repositories for videos only. No home page no credits given. I don't think that was the intent.
Other services ban that type of use. If you are going to just feed videos or store files, they have no time for it.
4*60 is offline Find More Posts by 4*60
Old Nov 10, 2004, 10:28 PM
Motorized lawn dart
United States, MS, Columbia
Joined Nov 2003
2,152 Posts
I would pay $10 a month to have a nice secure pic hosting deal. I would like to show a lot of tech pictures, but do not have the place to host.Thanks, Keith
Mopar92 is offline Find More Posts by Mopar92
Old Nov 11, 2004, 01:48 PM
HeliAP'er!
Surrey, UK
Joined Aug 2003
8,221 Posts
I would be willing to pay, especially as I've got such a large space allowance .... I think I'll also be clearing out some of the movies I've got on my site!
Hogster is online now Find More Posts by Hogster
Old Nov 12, 2004, 11:06 AM
Admin...NOT!!!
Joined Aug 2004
375 Posts
alternative plan

It seems to me many members are overlooking the gallery. If all you want is a place to host videos, http://www.rcgroups.com/gallery is a better place to do that. It comes with some free storage space and some very handy organizing tools for any registered rcgroups member, and if you need more space you can upgrade to a paid rcgroups membership. Once you get your videos up there, it is OK to link to them from elsewhere if that's what you want to do.

A lot of the so-called websites on rchomepage aren't websites at all. Many of them are just some video files. I'm going to be asking all such people to move their stuff to the gallery. So if you are one of those people, consider yourself asked already. You will be getting an email shortly.

Webhosting should really be for bona fide websites.
Old Nov 12, 2004, 11:15 AM
[intentionally blank]
Cheshire, CT, USA
Joined Jan 2001
1,528 Posts
Phew, glad I have a bona fide website! Thanks Colleen!
fprintf is offline Find More Posts by fprintf
Old Nov 12, 2004, 01:17 PM
Admin...NOT!!!
Joined Aug 2004
375 Posts
Countdown

I'd like 100 accounts that just park videos to move to the gallery. Then I'm opening up the request hosting form again. Zero so far have moved. I'll update this as the numbers go up. If you know anyone who should move, nudge them.
Old Nov 15, 2004, 11:02 AM
Ask someone else!
Surrey, Great Britain (UK)
Joined Oct 2004
10 Posts
Here here, anyone who is using this free webhosting just to dump videos is taking the rise, I am very happy with the fact that you guys are generous enough to offer free webhosting in the first place and I put it to good use (I hope) by creating a website people could visit.

I mean whats the point of having webspace if your not actually going to create a website?

Thanks for the space and long may it continue.
Banditwheelie is offline Find More Posts by Banditwheelie
Old Nov 16, 2004, 10:20 AM
flying low & slow
SE
Joined Mar 2003
365 Posts
We are obviously all very much grateful for the possibility to have a free webhost and I'm sure most of us wouldn't mind to donate some money or pay a reasonable fee in order to upgrade and maintain the existing hardware.
adam_one is offline Find More Posts by adam_one