HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 05, 2004, 07:53 AM
Poole, UK
Joined Nov 2004
2 Posts
Engine sound generators

Hi Folks! I'm a newbie here, so excuse me if this is not quite the right place for this. I'm building a 1/24th scale WWII Fairmile D type MTB and would like to add realistic engine sound to this electric powered boat. Anyone know of any decent sound generators out there? I've heard Robbe's and a few others and they sound awful to me!

Any ideas would be great. Any electronics experts wanna build me something cool?

Mike
mikeg8 is offline Find More Posts by mikeg8
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 06, 2004, 10:51 AM
Grumpa Tom
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Sep 2003
22,899 Posts
I have the RAM sound module but I don't think you would be satisfied. Is there a sound generator on the market that uses actual recorded sounds that are imbedded onto a chip?
Kmot is offline Find More Posts by Kmot
Old Nov 06, 2004, 11:11 AM
Sea Dragon-Lover
PDX, OR
Joined Dec 2002
10,152 Posts
Check into the Model railroad sound generators. Be aware, that they can run from $199-$499 US. They have lots of extras you won't need, like the horn, and bell.
However, set up properly, They sound really good. they idle, then increase rpm and pitch as you increase your throttle, then slow, as you decrease your throttle. You just have to decide what is the sound you prefer.

There are some examples here,
http://www.phoenixsound.com/index.html

You have to ignore the horns and bells they are actually triggered on command, and not part of the engine sound generator.

Umi
Umi_Ryuzuki is offline Find More Posts by Umi_Ryuzuki
Old Nov 06, 2004, 04:23 PM
Casey Thrower Born for RC
Joined Jul 2004
208 Posts
Robbe

Anyone know if the Robbe diesel generator sounds good?
C Thrower is offline Find More Posts by C Thrower
Old Nov 08, 2004, 02:48 AM
Poole, UK
Joined Nov 2004
2 Posts
I found a couple of samples, sorry can't remember where, but I wasn't impressed, not terribly realistic at all.

Mike
mikeg8 is offline Find More Posts by mikeg8
Old Dec 07, 2004, 09:53 AM
Joined Sep 2004
1 Posts
http://www.westbourne-model.co.uk/Ro...nd_modules.htm

you can click on each to hear the sound but dont get your hopes up

http://www.phoenixsound.com/index.html listen to this first just ignore the bells, the horn sounds ok just wrong pitch, but you can download and program it with other sounds.
Texmac1 is offline Find More Posts by Texmac1