Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Feb 21, 2002, 10:41 AM
Michele Somaschini, Spain
Madrid (Spain)
Joined Sep 2001
1,102 Posts
BBQ ribs

I've seen some Ezoners have some knowledges about cooking ("poisoning food at MWE" and "brownies" threads)

How can I do BBQ sauce for ribs?

I've tryed honey ribs recibe and spicey recipe (oooouuuch!! too spicey) but I wonder how they give that smoked taste to the sauce (burnt ESC maybe).

Any idea?
RookieOne is offline Find More Posts by RookieOne
Last edited by RookieOne; Feb 21, 2002 at 10:44 AM.
Old Feb 21, 2002, 12:04 PM
DNA
NE Ohio
Joined Jun 2001
3,311 Posts
Liquid smoke. Comes in a bottle at the local grocery.
DNA is offline Find More Posts by DNA
Old Feb 21, 2002, 01:20 PM
Heli Bouncer
At the Discount Clambake
Joined Feb 2001
3,920 Posts
I like liquid smoke but it's no replacement for the real thing. We have a tree here called the Alder that is excellent for smoking fish and meats when it's still a little green. I did a 10 pound silver salmon last summer in our Weber clone grill with most of the vents shut and just enough charcoal to keep the Alder sticks smoldering. It was a hit at our annual outing, I also made smoked salmon quiche from the leftovers from the grilling, smoked it next to the chicken we did the following day.

Major yumm! Smoked meats are not supossed to be very good for you but I love the taste. I'd try ribs grilled with some smoldering mild flavored green wood (not cork oak).
Looooeeee! is offline Find More Posts by Looooeeee!
Old Feb 21, 2002, 02:21 PM
characters welcome!
United States, CA, Bear Valley Springs
Joined Feb 2000
26,266 Posts
Alder smoke. One of the world's great smells along with fresh baked bread, lilac and... ohhhh never mind.

mw
Mark Wood is offline Find More Posts by Mark Wood
Old Feb 21, 2002, 03:04 PM
Almost a Pilot
NorCal
Joined Oct 2001
3,757 Posts
As Looooeeee! said, liquid smoke is OK but nothing is as good as smoking with REAL wood. Soak the wood chips you plan to use for about 30 minutes before using.
I put the chips in the middle, inside a little aluminum pan, with the coals on each side, so the meat/fish slowly cook from indirect heat and the wood chips slowly smolder.
The key is SLOOOOW cooking.
I got a "water smoker" for Christmas and it really does a nice job. The fire is below a pan of water, with the chips in the water.
I've used hickory, applewood, alder (oh yeah), and others that don't come to mind.
I'm starting to get hungry ........

and what, Mark?
Mauilvr is offline Find More Posts by Mauilvr
Last edited by Mauilvr; Feb 21, 2002 at 03:07 PM.
Old Feb 21, 2002, 04:16 PM
Central Lake, Mi. USA
Joined Jan 2001
263 Posts
Smells

Yes Mark, tell us. Oh , I have an idea but I better not say anything. Sassycat might be reading this and I could end up getting a digital slap in the kisser.
I have a water smoker and use it on salmon and turkey and whatever.
Cured and smoked turkey legs:
Use must use Kosher or curing salt! Do not use iodizede salt as this will create an extremely foul taste and cause a premature failure in your new brushless system.
Cure the turkey legs,( I like to use Morton curing salt) for 12 to 24 hours. Follow directions on bag.
Rinse legs in cold running water.While preparing legs allow the smoker to get warmed to temperature then add chips or chunks...I like to use hickory chunks.
Allow the legs to smoke and finnish cooking in the smoker. I usually fill the water tray as this prevents the turkey from drying.
Allow to cook untill done. Let cool slightly then enjoy, with some cold brewsky. Yum Yum John Z.
John Zook is offline Find More Posts by John Zook
Old Feb 22, 2002, 01:17 AM
Master
Weilbach, Germany
Joined May 2001
2,467 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by DNA
Liquid smoke. Comes in a bottle at the local grocery.
Now where was that OTHER post about maybe the rest of the world perhaps not wanting to become just like the Americans !

Just kidding guys
ChrisP is offline Find More Posts by ChrisP
Old Feb 22, 2002, 08:00 AM
characters welcome!
United States, CA, Bear Valley Springs
Joined Feb 2000
26,266 Posts
Ummm... perfume? Yeah. That's it.

mw
Mark Wood is offline Find More Posts by Mark Wood
Old Feb 22, 2002, 09:09 AM
Haverhill, MA
Joined Jul 2000
302 Posts
...YOUNG perfume...
ErnieR is offline Find More Posts by ErnieR
Old Feb 22, 2002, 11:28 AM
DNA
NE Ohio
Joined Jun 2001
3,311 Posts
Liquid smoke

Not to worry, it's an all natural product.

You can get the same effect by adding slices of your tennis
shoes to your sauce.
DNA is offline Find More Posts by DNA