HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 04, 2004, 04:09 PM
Joined Nov 2004
37 Posts
Flying the the winter (snow)

I would like to hear from others on how flying in the winter with snow is. Whats the downfalls? I would assume that crashing into snow would be very forgiving.
Jonger1150 is offline Find More Posts by Jonger1150
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 04, 2004, 04:24 PM
Defender of the Aerobird!
Milwaukee, WI
Joined Dec 2002
394 Posts
Great thread about skis right here: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=75788
Mattydiah is online now Find More Posts by Mattydiah
Old Nov 04, 2004, 04:34 PM
jug
Joined Aug 2004
94 Posts
I was curious if the cold or moisture would damage any of the electronics. I just finished my brushless A-10 and the weather has been horrible the past month. A few days ago everything cleared up but there was snow on the ground and I just had to chance it. This A-10 is really fast for a noob like me and when the engines cut it drops like a rock so I buried it in snow and packed the nacelles with powder as well. Brushed it off put in another battery and I was off. Hope my impatience hasnt damaged anything.
jug is offline Find More Posts by jug
Old Nov 04, 2004, 05:13 PM
Oxford, Michigan, United States
Joined Aug 1999
2,289 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattydiah
Great thread about skis right here: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=75788
If you have access to water in the summer, I would reccomend floats rather than skis. They work great off the snow while skis don't work worth a &&^%on water.
Petefoss is online now Find More Posts by Petefoss
Old Nov 04, 2004, 05:52 PM
Zzzt! Buzz! Click!
State of Confusion
Joined Jan 2004
1,616 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonger1150
I would assume that crashing into snow would be very forgiving.
Well, it is if it's fresh. I was learning to fly my Aerobird in February, and we had a couple of feet of fluffy snow piled up. She went into a death spiral from about 100 feet, and I didn't have my "throttle off" reflex yet. Punched a nice Aerobird shaped hole into the snow, and when I got there, just the tailfeathers were visible above the snow. I grabbed the tail and pulled her straight out, with no damage at all!

On the other hand, if it's had a couple of warm days and then a good cold snap, it's almost like pavement. That crust on top was not very forgiving to my Aerobird's tail (snap!)! On the other hand, it's much more slippery than pavement or grass, so if you drag a wingtip on takeoff, you can recover easier - you tend to slide a lot further on landings, though.
squidbait is offline Find More Posts by squidbait
Old Nov 04, 2004, 05:55 PM
United States, MI, Detroit
Joined Feb 2004
9,090 Posts
Flying in snow is definelty a ton of fun, especially landing when it just keeps sliding.

This year i'm gonna make skis for my heli and see how it handles the snow.

BTW squid i love the little picture

ash
ashdec87 is offline Find More Posts by ashdec87