HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 20, 2005, 06:23 PM
Negative altitude hurts
Litchfield Park, AZ
Joined Feb 2005
392 Posts
Question for you G-Ride pilots: How much space would you consider a minimum for the G-ride? Does it land fast or slow?
m00se is offline Find More Posts by m00se
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 20, 2005, 06:43 PM
victim of the system
Home of the Toledo RC show
Joined Jul 2003
2,486 Posts
I fly my g-ride in a football field ..if it is your first flights and you have experience you should do fine in that sized area....as for landing fast or slow? I fly all of my planes , no matter what style or model to touch down...I land under some speed ....too much can happen on a slow approach...such as even a small gust of wind...the g-ride is control responsive, so don't be heavy on the sticks...if needed and you can do so ..then dail in some expo. , maybe 20 to 30 percent...hope this helps you ...good luck and good flying your g-ride...TT
TooTall is offline Find More Posts by TooTall
Old Apr 20, 2005, 06:47 PM
Negative altitude hurts
Litchfield Park, AZ
Joined Feb 2005
392 Posts
I don't have one yet I'm itching to build a balsa plane, but I want something I can fly in the mini park near my house. The Dystraction would probably be a better fit, but I like the look of the G-ride better.
Old Apr 20, 2005, 07:00 PM
victim of the system
Home of the Toledo RC show
Joined Jul 2003
2,486 Posts
I fly mostly pattern planes ..for sport now , back in the day I flew competition pattern but it became not so fun ,, like anything you wanna be good at you have to practice... so at times I like to tone it down a bit .. so I fly my son's SQuiRT...he's using this plane to teach a few neighbor hoodlems...(err I meen kids ) to fly ..a wonderful first time balsa build ..and with the aileron wing Bill is working on it will be an excellent aileron trainer
TooTall is offline Find More Posts by TooTall
Old Apr 20, 2005, 07:23 PM
Cheapskate freeloader!
Orebro, Sweden
Joined Oct 2002
3,155 Posts
m00se, regarding needed space for the G-Ride I agree with TooTall, a footballfield is enough, certainly if you have some experience with manouverable lowwing aileron-equipped planes.

Anders O
Zeroaltitude is offline Find More Posts by Zeroaltitude
Old Apr 20, 2005, 07:33 PM
Joined Dec 2004
82 Posts
Question: Can anyone sum up the flight envelopes of the S300-400 planes? I know the rv-4 is a low-wing trainer with some dyhedral, but what are the major differences between the g-ride, stella, and cap 300?
rbale1 is offline Find More Posts by rbale1
Old Apr 20, 2005, 07:40 PM
Cheapskate freeloader!
Orebro, Sweden
Joined Oct 2002
3,155 Posts
The parksized Cap came first. Then Bill Stevens took all the good characteristics of the Cap, but re-designed the bad ones (tipstalling, among a few other things) and the result was the G-Ride, an incredibly smooth and forgiving, yet manouverable plane. Soon after that came the Groove, which is a scaled up G-Ride. The Stella is owing a lot of it´s design to the G-Ride/Groove, but is designed with 3D capability in mind.

That is basically it I think.

Anders O
Old Apr 20, 2005, 11:33 PM
Negative altitude hurts
Litchfield Park, AZ
Joined Feb 2005
392 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeroaltitude
m00se, regarding needed space for the G-Ride I agree with TooTall, a footballfield is enough, certainly if you have some experience with manouverable lowwing aileron-equipped planes.

Anders O

Thanks. The park I want to use is somewhat smaller than a football field and has a few obstacles. Trees... ramada... playground I'm not worried about taking off and flying around, but landing could be interesting unless the plane will slow down nicely. I may just have to find a bigger park. Sigh.

I've been out of the hobby for about 16 years. I bought a GWS PT-17 to kick-start myslef back into it. Before I got out I was flying low-wing planes like a Super Sportster 20 and a Sunbird 40. I have several flights on the Stearman and only one landing hard enough to do any damage
Old Apr 21, 2005, 03:23 AM
Cheapskate freeloader!
Orebro, Sweden
Joined Oct 2002
3,155 Posts
Well..., I´m just guesstimating now but I don´t think there is any MAJOR difference in the stallspeed, hence the landingspeed of the G-Ride and the GWS PT-17. The G-Ride is a light design, with quite a bit of wingarea which equals to a low wingloading, and what determines landingspeed more than anything is wingloading. It also is very predictable even when nearing the stallspeed.

I´ve seen the GWS Tiger Moth 400 (Which should be similar to the PT-17) fly, and had the opportunity to fly it also. I have not had the chance to fly BOTH the Tiger Moth and the G-Ride "side-by-side" so to speak, so my comparison is NOT very solid. But my impression is that the difference in stallspeed between the two are not that significant.

Personally however, I still wouldn´t go much smaller than a footballfield or soccerfield with either plane, but that´s just me!

Anders O
Old Apr 21, 2005, 04:07 AM
Go for it
Hässelby, Sweden
Joined Jun 2003
401 Posts
Very nice Zeroalt.
I like the Super Chipmunk alot.

Latest progress is finding that the intended wheels are to small.

Should be ready for maiden after the weekend.

/Terje
teli88 is offline Find More Posts by teli88
Old Apr 21, 2005, 05:11 AM
Cheapskate freeloader!
Orebro, Sweden
Joined Oct 2002
3,155 Posts
Thanks Terje!
Your Vans RV4 is looking good also. Best of luck for the maiden!

Anders O
Old Apr 21, 2005, 05:35 PM
Sink stinks
United States, GA, Atlanta
Joined Apr 2005
4,523 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by m00se
Question for you G-Ride pilots: How much space would you consider a minimum for the G-ride? Does it land fast or slow?
m00se, to answer your question, the G-Ride can certainly be flown within the confines of a small park, I'd say, as long as you keep it high enough to avoid obstacles. A football field, as TooTall mentioned, would definitely give you plenty of space. Landings aren't really a problem, but be careful: the design is so clean that the glide rate is very high. The stall speed should be pretty low, though, as long as you build the plane light.
Montag DP is offline Find More Posts by Montag DP
Old Apr 21, 2005, 05:47 PM
Negative altitude hurts
Litchfield Park, AZ
Joined Feb 2005
392 Posts
Thanks for the info, everyone. Sounds like a G-ride will fly from my little park. Hrmmm... maybe I can add spoilerons... ;-)
Old Apr 21, 2005, 05:59 PM
Cheapskate freeloader!
Orebro, Sweden
Joined Oct 2002
3,155 Posts
With dual aileronservos, spoilerons is certainly a very easy mod to do. Not sure it is neccessary though, But if your TX has that mixing-capability I see no reason not to try it.
I wouldn´t call the gliderate (power off) "very high" exactly, but since she is a rather small and light plane, she pretty much needs to land under a bit of power as not to nose over if you´re landing on grass. And that small amount of power is enough to extend the gliderate a lot. In other words, she really likes to stay in the air even with a minimum of power.

You´ll LOVE the G-Ride, I can promise you that!

Anders O
Old Apr 21, 2005, 07:29 PM
Sink stinks
United States, GA, Atlanta
Joined Apr 2005
4,523 Posts
Well, the glide rate seemed pretty high to me, but that's probably just because my previous plane was a Tiny-X from Todd's Models (which has a 27-inch wingspan and weighs only seven ounces). Nonetheless, I agree with Zeroaltitude totally that the G-Ride can be flown and landed in a relatively small space.
Montag DP is offline Find More Posts by Montag DP