HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 03, 2004, 08:58 PM
Joined Nov 2004
34 Posts
Shadow by "Fly by Night Models" out of Long Beach California

Has anyone ever heard of a High Performance Slope called the "Shadow"?
This was made by "Fly by Night Models" in Long Beach California, and has
a Fiberglass fuselage with balsa covered foam wings. I have a brand new one still in the box, and am thinking about putting it together. By the way, this was back around the early 80s.

Jim
jimbailey is offline Find More Posts by jimbailey
Last edited by jimbailey; Nov 03, 2004 at 09:07 PM. Reason: Fly by Night Models - Shadow
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 03, 2004, 09:52 PM
Detail Freak
Harbor City, CA
Joined Oct 2003
21,327 Posts
I think the Shadow and the Sillohette were both made by that company; or was it the Quicksilver? Can't remember!
target is offline Find More Posts by target
Old Nov 04, 2004, 12:52 AM
Joined Aug 2004
22 Posts
It was the Quicksilver. Shadow was made by different guys.
sos-topgun is offline Find More Posts by sos-topgun
Old Nov 04, 2004, 01:19 AM
It could happen...
Torrance, California
Joined Jan 2004
7,537 Posts
Quicksilver and Silohuette...Douglas Aircraft or something like that.

Shadow...Fly by Night Models.

Shadow is bigger if I remember correctly...64" span or so? I know they were popular at Fermin for a while..."Energy" plane and flew in a very "pattern" like manner in good lift. Flew with the Bob Martin SR7's and Coyotes and other like planes...Connan winged Cheetahs...that sorta thing. Build it and enjoy...they were good airplanes.

Uh...if you don't wanna put it together, drop me a line. Maybe we can make a deal!
InTheLift is offline Find More Posts by InTheLift
Old Nov 04, 2004, 10:08 AM
No fuse too fat
USA, CA, Redondo Beach
Joined Apr 2002
3,874 Posts
Yes, I remember the Shadow. I never had one myself, but I've seen lots of them fly. John M's 'Taz' design has its roots in the Shadow. He used to fly them all the time until he finally moved on to building his own planes. Those Shadows were fast planes alright.

Russ.
slopeiron is offline Find More Posts by slopeiron
Old Nov 04, 2004, 07:36 PM
Joined Nov 2004
34 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by target
I think the Shadow and the Sillohette were both made by that company; or was it the Quicksilver? Can't remember!
I still have the Flyer that came with the model, and also the plans, and both of them are Fly by Night. Not sure of the Silouhette. A good friend of mine used to spend time at Fly by Night, and that is how I got mine. I put it in the garage and never got back to it. I also have a Brand New Bob Martin
Coyote that I am thinking about putting together, we'll see how it goes.

Thanks for your response,

Jim
Old Nov 04, 2004, 07:41 PM
Joined Nov 2004
34 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sos-topgun
It was the Quicksilver. Shadow was made by different guys.
Hello,

The Shadow was made for a few years by a guy who started up Fly by Night, and a good friend of mine knew him and used to fly with him, and that is how I got my Shadow. I'm not sure what else he did make. I have the original box and plans and the Flyer that came with the model, and all are Fly by Night. Anyway should be a very nice piece when finished, and Thanks for your response.

Jim
Old Nov 04, 2004, 07:43 PM
I have a moldie addiction
Savoy, Mass
Joined Sep 2003
861 Posts
Lets see some pics of her.
blivsey is offline Find More Posts by blivsey
Old Nov 05, 2004, 12:26 AM
United States, CA, Torrance
Joined Aug 2004
1,774 Posts
I still have the box, but finally after 10-15 years totaled the plane. It was very durable, relatively fast and flew in all conditions. An all around good performer, I wish I had another. Concreteman
concreteman is online now Find More Posts by concreteman
Old Feb 06, 2005, 12:36 PM
Upper Michigan
Joined Jan 2003
170 Posts
Ah, the Shadow...what a nice plane it was. I used to live in Long Beach and flew at Bluff Park all through the '80s and early '90s. In the early 1980s the Shadow was the hot plane at the Bluff. I always wanted one, but never got one. It seemed ideal for that size slope- more nimble than a Coyote and better in light lift than an SR. The low wing may not have been the best for landing on rough ground, but on a mowed lawn like at Bluff it was perfect- once it was down it stopped in about 2 plane lengths.

I later designed a 4 foot low winger with a solid balsa wing that was to become my everyday sloper, and I shamelessly copied the basic look of the Shadow.

I have a box of chromes taken at Bluff Park in 1982; lots of the pictures are of Shadows. I'd post some but I don't have a slide scanner.

I've since moved to the midwest and still haven't found a decent slope. I'd still like to get my hands on a Shadow though.

Cheers,
Dave
kingbee is offline Find More Posts by kingbee
Old Feb 06, 2005, 01:06 PM
Joined Mar 2003
3,032 Posts
Ah yes, the Shadow

I got a chance to fly Rob's prototype of the Shadow at Bluff Park in 1982 I believe.It was a great flying plane, much faster than the Katie 2 I was flying at the time. Unfortunately that was also the day that I learned that you don't do rolls near the ground with someone else's plane until you check out the roll rate first. I rolled that thing in the slot towards the slope instead of towards the ocean and only made it 3/4 the way thru the roll, then right into the chain link fence that use to be at the edge of the park. The fuse made it half way thru the fence. What an idiot!

When Rob started producing the kit I bought one of the first ones and made it a beautiful black with blue trim. Worked much better with about 4 inches clipped of each tip. Man I loved that plane. Eventually it became a sacrificial offering to the slope gods at Fermin. So about 12 months ago I walk into the LHS and there's a Shadow hanging from the ceiling RTF for $125.00. Nostalgia took over and I added another flyer to the hangar. By today's standards the plane flies pretty slow, very gentle and predictable. Back in the early 80's we didn't know about ballast and so I flew the my new Shadow unballasted a couple of times when the lift was light just to relive the past. I considered loading her up with ballast, but she's never going to be as fast as the moldies I fly now, so I'll probably just add half a pound to get it to penetrate and enjoy the memories of my early days in the hobby. Will post pics later.
ClayH is offline Find More Posts by ClayH
Last edited by ClayH; Feb 06, 2005 at 01:10 PM.
Old Sep 18, 2008, 12:01 AM
Their not flapping
USA, CA, Cypress
Joined Sep 2008
161 Posts
The shadow is coming out of the night

HI guys.

Say, funny I saw this post today as my friends and I are bringing the shadow out of the night so to speak in the not to distance future.

We flew the cliff at Long Beach and point fermin in the late 70's and 80's. During this time we were flying pylon, pattern and Heli's but, thats been some time ago now.

Some 30 years have gone by since we were flying the shadow and we have been talking about going back to the ole days. The last time we flew a shadow was at Long Beach back in 1994 when I crashed the shadow I've posted here.

She was white and blue back then but, we fixed her up over the pass few weeks and on Labor Day (2008) we took to the slopes at Long Beach again for the first time in 14 years.

Here's the shadow for those of you who wanted to see it.

See you at the cliff...
Nutech is offline Find More Posts by Nutech
Last edited by Nutech; Oct 28, 2008 at 10:39 PM.
Old Sep 18, 2008, 12:11 AM
Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum!
PRC (People's Republic of Commiefornia)
Joined Jul 2005
9,602 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nutech
HI guys.

Say, funny I saw this post today as my friends and I are bringing the shadow out of the night so to speak in the not to distance future.

We use to own the cliff at Long Beach in the late 70's and 80's. During this time we fly pylon, pattern and Heil. but, that was some time ago now.

The last time we fly a shadow in Long Beach was 1994 when I crashed the shadow here. It was white and blue then but, we fixed it up during the pass few week and labor day to took it back to the Long Beach cliff.

Some 30 years have gone by since we started the shadow and we have been talking about going back to those days and we have again.

Here is the shadow for those of you wanted to see it.

See you at the cliff...

Welcome to RCGroups! Are you the designer/manufacturer of the Shadow? I have one still NIB and plan to build and fly it one of these days. Did you say you plan to resume production after all these years?

Doubletap
Doubletap is offline Find More Posts by Doubletap
Old Sep 18, 2008, 12:21 AM
Their not flapping
USA, CA, Cypress
Joined Sep 2008
161 Posts
Yep. We've got the bug again and miss the old days. We have the stuff to kit them again except for fuses. I'm working on new molds to make fuses again.

You should build your, you'll love it.

Thanks for your interest...

Steve
Nutech is offline Find More Posts by Nutech
Last edited by Nutech; Apr 29, 2010 at 12:00 AM.
Old Sep 18, 2008, 03:48 AM
Joined Mar 2003
3,032 Posts
Steve, Are you the guy that bought the rights from Rob on the Shadow? He and I exchanged a few emails about 9 months ago but haven't gotten together yet. I'd love to see the Shadow come back, although to keep today's fliers' interest it would need a little faster wing.

Hope to see you at the slope!

Clay
ClayH is offline Find More Posts by ClayH