HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 20, 2002, 11:43 PM
USA, AK, Juneau
Joined Feb 2001
238 Posts
Wedgie first flight!

The rain and snow has been pretty steady for the past few weeks, but this afternoon there was a break between fronts so I took off from work and my Wedgie had its maiden flight. First, the conditions: 35 degrees fahrenheit, heavy overcast, with gusty winds 10-20mph. This thing has been built and ready to go for awhile, and despite the gusty winds I couldn't resist taking it out.
How'd it fly? Really exciting. Even though I'd limited the control throws it was a handful (or stickfull?) in the gusty winds. What impressed me was how sensitive it is to control inputs, how easily it flew into the wind, how quickly it climbed, and how fast it was. I have a Zagi with a Turbo450 motor and the Wedgie seems much, much faster. It's hard to judge, but seems like 3X as fast.
There were 2 guys at the beach, (I fly on a beach at low tide...), with an IC plane by Hobbico. Don't know what kind, but it could almost hang on the prop. Anyway, when I arrived and we checked frequencies they said the Wedgie looked neat and remarked that they have some gliders with speed 400 motors. While I flew they exclaimed aloud as it performed stunts (actually not all under my control!), then when I landed they came over and wanted to look at the motor and prop (Graupner sp. 400 6V with APC 5.5X5.5). They said that none of their speed 400's flew like the Wedgie!
I didn't even fly out the pack (8X600ae's) but was content to get it in the air and landed in one piece - especially given the conditions.
I highly recommend this plane for great quality, easy building, super flying, and inexpensive fun.
WOW!!
MaxFx is offline Find More Posts by MaxFx
Last edited by MaxFx; Feb 21, 2002 at 02:10 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 21, 2002, 12:40 AM
El Cajon, CA, USA
Joined Feb 2001
801 Posts
After seeing one fly this weekend I went out and bought one. I am lazy and slow with the building but should be done soon.

It was crazy watching this guy on Sunday at the Mid Winter Electrics. He had some cheap velcro and he was looping the plane pulling some very high G manuveres. On one of his loops he spit out the battery and it rocketed straight outta the plane with the plane fluttered to the ground. Never seen anything like it before.
Munch is offline Find More Posts by Munch
Old Feb 21, 2002, 02:12 AM
Fremont Ca.
Joined Jun 2001
94 Posts
Funny I was just looking at the wedgie as I want something faster than my Zagi and I have a bunch of sp400 stuff around. I was debating about the twister sport plane but the durability of fiberglass and my somewhat imperfect landing skill ??. I was curious is the wedgie all foam or does it have an EPP leading edge and what comes in the kit, I know the electronics and motor do no come with it but what about hardware and covering /tape. Next question hows the quality of the kit. sounds like you got a winner
Toybox is offline Find More Posts by Toybox
Old Feb 21, 2002, 03:51 AM
USA, AK, Juneau
Joined Feb 2001
238 Posts
Toybox - just do a search on "Wedgie" and you'll find the answers to your questions in a post I recently made.
Also, no - the leading edge is not EPP, so it probably would not survive a beginner like a Zagi does, nor be suitable for combat. If you are a competent Zagi flyer looking for something similar but much faster the Wedgie deserves very serious consideration.
Old Feb 21, 2002, 07:35 AM
Don't cut the Yellow Wire
Ridgewood ,NJ
Joined Jan 2000
3,576 Posts
It is made out of 2lb white foam. Flies real fast!!!!

No more Zagi for me.
dr.E is offline Find More Posts by dr.E
Old Feb 21, 2002, 11:53 PM
Fremont Ca.
Joined Jun 2001
94 Posts
cool I apreciate the info. I stopped crashing my Zagi a while back and most of my balsa stuff is still surviving. I was curious for transport durability as my job puts me on the road a lot and I like to have a plane with me at all times (reliveing my childhood) and it breaks up a long drive.
Old Feb 22, 2002, 12:09 AM
Joined Feb 2002
37 Posts
wedgie

How long did take you guys to build one?
jetmik is offline Find More Posts by jetmik
Old Feb 22, 2002, 12:30 AM
USA, AK, Juneau
Joined Feb 2001
238 Posts
jetmik, I'm a tediously slow builder and it took me a total of 6 hours.
Last edited by MaxFx; Feb 22, 2002 at 03:05 AM.
Old Feb 22, 2002, 01:00 AM
Joined Feb 2002
37 Posts
MaxFx

Me too...slowwww builder...at least i can have some kinda info about how long is going to take me...thanks..
jetmik is offline Find More Posts by jetmik
Old Feb 24, 2002, 03:51 PM
RPV builder & operator
Canada, QC, Gatineau
Joined Jan 2001
2,303 Posts
Can the Wedgie fly with 8x800AR, or is that too much weight?
Pierre Audette is offline Find More Posts by Pierre Audette
Old Feb 24, 2002, 04:31 PM
El Cajon, CA, USA
Joined Feb 2001
801 Posts
no problem.....just make sure you keep it straight and level till you gain some speed. Otherwise the old tip stall.
Munch is offline Find More Posts by Munch
Old Feb 24, 2002, 05:30 PM
I'll have the roast duck
oakland, ca
Joined Jun 2001
296 Posts
here's the web for anyone who's interested.
http://www.mmglidertech.com/wedgie.html
maximus is offline Find More Posts by maximus
Old Feb 24, 2002, 06:37 PM
Temecula, Ca
Joined Feb 2002
99 Posts
How much flight time do you get with the 600AR pack.
Zagi miester is offline Find More Posts by Zagi miester
Old Feb 25, 2002, 03:06 AM
USA, AK, Juneau
Joined Feb 2001
238 Posts
Flight time

I flew twice today with 8X600ae packs & the 5.5X5.5 APC prop. Didn't time the flights, and didn't fly until the BEC kicked in, but they seemed relatively short - say full power in the 3 minute range then the power decreased noticeably.
Stable, but changes direction real quick when you ask it to.
I'll have to try some different props to see what effect they have on flight duration and performance.
Old Feb 25, 2002, 10:19 PM
Fremont Ca.
Joined Jun 2001
94 Posts
well I ordered one

I said what the heck I ordered one, I have a feeling from what I've heard my Zagi will be a back up plane. On the props I did a lot of testing with different props. flying back to back flights with battery packs that were of the same age, cycles, and manufacture. the APC 5x5 that some people said was the hot ticket had poor low speed pull IE near a stall it would not pull the plane well the top speed was not that great either. The next prop was the Graupner CAM speed 5.5x5.5 this prop did not have great top speed but the low speed pull was fantastic, I could climb out like nobodys business. The little cheap Gunther props had the best top speed and resonable low speed pull, seeing how I like to go fast I am sticking with the Gunthers. I am curious with the higher speed of the Wedgie what will work best. I will post with results once I get mine.

Is it ok if I wait at the door for brown truck to drop my toy, I cant wait.