SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Closed Thread
Old Dec 16, 2004, 10:51 PM
GO THE DOLPHIN!
Central North Carolina
Joined Sep 2003
839 Posts
Probably lost some of your forward weight by removing the canopy. Can you carefully untape and move your battery forward? The CG on mine is just a smidge infront of the main rotor shaft, I measure it ever so scientifically by hanging the heli upside-down by the LG between my fingertips.
ndflicks is offline Find More Posts by ndflicks
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 16, 2004, 11:07 PM
Joined Dec 2004
2 Posts
mod parts

thanks where do you buy a lot of the mod parts at?
jreilley is offline Find More Posts by jreilley
Old Dec 16, 2004, 11:08 PM
Syracuse NY
Joined Dec 2002
105 Posts
Gear slip Modification

Similar to pgoelz in Post 348 my lower rotor was momentarily losing drive. He pointed out that gears were loosing mesh. It also made a grindy gear slip kind of noise.

In my case it was the left side that drives the lower rotor. The middle gear and rotor gear were slipping. I lived with it for quite some time.

A few day ago I noticed that the motor mounts could be twisted by pushing down near either motor. When I did that the gears moved apart. See the 1st photo.

EUREKA! Now I have something that can be fixed.

I used an 0.040" drill to make a detent on the motor mount and another in the battery area. The battery was already slid forward for balance.

A lenght of 0.030" carbon fiber rod was held up to the span and cut. I trimmed off some more to make it fit. It should be a tight fit but the rod does not need to bow. See the 2nd photo.

Later, Mitch
msburko is offline Find More Posts by msburko
Last edited by msburko; Dec 16, 2004 at 11:15 PM.
Old Dec 17, 2004, 12:52 AM
Live to ride... and fly!
Forney, TX
Joined Mar 2002
15,165 Posts
Nihil, that canopy rocks!

==you may be due for motor swap in order to correct the trim left right problem you are having....==

No, my trim problems vary widely throughout the flight. It goes from needing full right trim to full let trim to centered trim in the span of a minute sometimes. Sometimes it needs no corrections at all during a whole flight. This evening I flew for 8 minutes with almost no trim corrections. After a 1 hour recharge, I flew for 2 minutes and it was spinning so hard clockwise that it wouldn't stop even with full left trim AND full left stick. I landed, took off again and it was fine. I'm convinced it's the electronics. They are over- and under-compensating for various conditions. I suspect it's the tradeoff for getting the whole package under 70 bucks. Don't get me wrong, I love the little thing. It's a blast to fly and I can deal with the wierd trim issues just fine.

Another quirk mine has is sometimes the rear motor doesn't start until I flip the prop with my finger. Often I notice it after it's airborne (won't do forward flight) and walk over while it's hovering and give the prop a quick flick to get it going

By the way everyone, tonight I hit 240 minutes of flight time. Yup, 4 hours on the original motors. I'm starting to wonder if they'll ever wear out! Those heat sinks are keeping them nice and cool.
Tres Wright is offline Find More Posts by Tres Wright
Old Dec 17, 2004, 01:13 AM
Joined Oct 2004
165 Posts
RE: Bladerunner Information Document

Hi all,

The Bladerunner Information document has been updated, but I have been unable to convert it to a .pdf file. So, until the middle of next month, I would suggest referring to the Microsoft Word version at:

http://theclassroom.50megs.com/Blade...nformation.pdf

Thanks. I will post when the .pdf is back on-line. Keep the great ideas coming.
Dale
ssling is offline Find More Posts by ssling
Old Dec 17, 2004, 01:28 AM
Watts your motivation
San Bernardino, CA
Joined Aug 2003
6,512 Posts
I had an idea. One of my burned motors had only one side of "brush" fingers wasted. The other side had no noticable scarring. I was thinking that is each motor rotates one way, maybe swapping sides at say half life (whatever it may be) of the motors. This would give double the life on the same set. I plan on trying this when I get my pair of new motors installed.

240 minutes!?! WOO HOO! Could you recap what you THINK your secrets are? Blade pitches, cooling, long flight times, love?

Justin
roccobro is offline Find More Posts by roccobro
Old Dec 17, 2004, 06:57 AM
GO THE DOLPHIN!
Central North Carolina
Joined Sep 2003
839 Posts
It's love, gotta be love, lol.

Tres, could it be glitchy? the antenna comes off the board with so much slack, is it possible some of it's contacting other points on the PCB?

Just a thought.

I swear mine was doing the same thing till I sat down and REALLY took the time to tweak the blades just right for optimum tracking, lift and centering the trim. Now it's just a click one way, then maybe the other way once or twice per flight, maybe I'm hallucinating. Hey, at least it's fun, who cares if you have to trim it during the flight!
ndflicks is offline Find More Posts by ndflicks
Old Dec 17, 2004, 07:59 AM
^-- breaks stuff
Joined Apr 2004
964 Posts
"In 1972 a crack commando unit was sent to prison by a military court for a crime they didn't commit. These men promptly escaped from a maximum security stockade to the Los Angeles underground. Today, still wanted by the government, they survive as soldiers of fortune. If you have a problem, if no one else can help, and if you can find them, maybe you can hire the A-Team."

nihil is offline Find More Posts by nihil
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by nihil; Dec 18, 2004 at 03:02 AM.
Old Dec 17, 2004, 08:56 AM
Russellton, PA
Joined Oct 2002
1,023 Posts
Tres,

WOW, great time on your motors. My QVC BR has close to 2.5 hours on it and it's still flying superb! YES, mine drifts in flight too at times. In fact I've found as I land at the 5 min mark and let it cool that if I don't shut it off the drift is worse. SO now I land and flip off the switch. With the TP pack on board I have soo much capacity I usually land and leave it on while the motor drop temp. But now usually if I switch it off and reset it the trim gos very close to normal and center. This is on my Outlaw BR with clipped blades, TP cell and Hughes body.

Tres, could you post a pic of your heatsinks? I'd love to see them!!!

LOVE THE A-TEAM BODY!!! <HEHEHEH> LOVE the dragon head too!!! I need to try some of that thin transparancy film too.

Guys keep in mind that the forward speed of the BR is only to be "walking speed". Sure you should have forward authority but it won't turn and burn.

This BR forum/thread is so good! I really enjoy the reading and sharing of info.

Thanks BR guys for making the winter in PA so bearable with ideas, fixes, canopies etc! AND as if it has not been said enough already, for Petter and Frank for the great bladerunner... <G>

Ron Osinski
aka - GMRO
GMRO is offline Find More Posts by GMRO
Old Dec 17, 2004, 10:05 AM
Live to ride... and fly!
Forney, TX
Joined Mar 2002
15,165 Posts
==240 minutes!?! WOO HOO! Could you recap what you THINK your secrets are? Blade pitches, cooling, long flight times, love?==

Tender love, definitely Initially I was limiting my flights to 4-5 minutes and letting the motors cool off before resuming. But once I got the heat sinks on there (around 180 minutes I think) the motors ran so much cooler that I just started flying the battery out. I'm thinking the heat sinks are extending the motor life, I wish I had put them on sooner. I'll post pics of the sinks, but they look pretty much like the ones Frost posted. They're not pretty, but they get the job done

==could it be glitchy?==

It doesn't seem to be glitchy at all. In fact, last night I got the first glitch ever on it and it was because I left the TX antenna down and was flying it across the room. The trim thing is hard to explain, but I'll try to give an example since a few people have asked about it:

During one flight I lifted off with the trim centered. About a minute in it started pulling to the right (clockwise), so I put some left trim in. Right away it started pulling even harder to the right, so I put full left trim in. About 10 seconds later it starts spinning, and even with full left stick it is still spinning hard to the right. I let off the throttle, then when it gets close to the ground I throttle back up (no landing) and it starts spinning the other way (counterclockwise)! I put the trim back to the center and it flies fine. Then about a minute later, it starts spinning to the right and eventually requires full left trim to hold a hover.

Some flights it doesn't do it at all. It's really just a minor annoyance. I'm only mentioning it in case someone else encounters the same behavior and thinks they're going crazy

==maybe you can hire the A-Team."==

Bwaahaaa! Cool!

==In fact I've found as I land at the 5 min mark and let it cool that if I don't shut it off the drift is worse. SO now I land and flip off the switch==

Yes! So I'm not the only one! I've had to do that too, a couple of times it was spinning really hard one way or the other and turning both switches off and back on again seemed to clear it. I forgot to mention that I had done that too.

==could you post a pic of your heatsinks?==

You bet, I'll take a pic this evening.
Old Dec 17, 2004, 10:15 AM
Live to ride... and fly!
Forney, TX
Joined Mar 2002
15,165 Posts
I forgot to mention that last night I had just laid down for the night and looked over at the BR sitting on the charger (fully charged). I couldn't resist, so put it up for one last flight while laying in bed against the pillows. How lazy is that? LOL! What a kick to float the little thing around the room doing pylon racing around the bedposts and ducking it under the edge of the bed and then lifting vertically like a scene out of a movie We have finally reached the point where we can get our R/C fix anytime, anywhere. How great is this?
Old Dec 17, 2004, 10:39 AM
Toms River Rj Miller, New Jersey (excl EWR), United States
Joined May 2003
318 Posts
Hey, you guys! I have been following along, and have done the mods; replaced the Lipo with a 340 e-tec, cut the ring off the tail rotor, added thin aluminum heat sinks to the motors, and cut the canopy off just in front of the motors for air flow over them. I have just replaced the short front canopy with the dragon head that nihil posted. It is slightly smaller than his [to fit] and I printed out his picture from adobe but made it 3 dimensional by printing a mirror image page and pasting it together! It is awsome, I cant wait to show it to the grandkids on christmas day! BTW, I am a long time flier, now totally electric, both indoor and out and am going to be 72 years old next month!
rcflyrdon is offline Find More Posts by rcflyrdon
Old Dec 17, 2004, 11:24 AM
Full Throttle and No Regrets!
Denville, New Jersey
Joined Jun 2004
614 Posts
posibble heat sink solutions or maybe just go with the homemade stuff. can this possibly work weights are 1.3 grams and 1.5 grams there size in length and width would be enough to cover one side of the motor bell....
MeBluEyz99 is offline Find More Posts by MeBluEyz99
Old Dec 17, 2004, 01:06 PM
Joined Dec 2004
1 Posts
BR gone berzerk

I have been enjoying everyone's posts here for quite some time now. I have the Blu/Wht BR from QVC that I have been flying for over a month. I wanted to post something that happened to mine last night. I turned on the BR power switch and placed it on the pool table. The instant I turned on the tx power switch, without initialization of the up/down control stick, the BR took off full speed up to the ceiling. The up/down control had no effect nor did turning off the tx power! The BR stayed on the ceiling chewing off the "popcorn" up there until it suddenly crashed back down onto the pool table where is spun around wildly several times until I could grab it and turn off the power switch. Unfortunately for me this incident broke one of the lower rotor blades off at the center hub. What is unfortunate is that these were new blades just received from ITC the day before . Fortunately I ordered two sets so I am flying again and going to make repairs to try and salvage the broken one. I was able to make multiple repairs to my original blades and keep flying until there was too much tape on them and they just wouldn't lift anymore hence the order for replacements. Anyway, be careful. I don't believe the BR could cause serious personal injury in this type of event but it sure can chew up the ceiling!

I was not flying for a little over two weeks due to multiple broken blades on the original rotor set. I charged the BR a couple times during the down time while waiting on new rotors but now it seems to fly for only a minute or so whereas it used to fly about 5/6 minutes before the layoff. At first I thought the battery would recover after some use but no such luck. I guess it's time to cut off the body and get a new battery. While flying the BR I have observed the same trim issues mentioned in other posts where the BR spins left, trim it out, spins again left, trim it out, then spins right, trim it out, spins right again, trim it out until it finally settles somewhere and flys well for the duration of the battery charge. I suspect that I might need motors soon so I will order some of those to put in after I cut off the body for a new battery. So far as mods go, I have only trimmed off the ring on the tail rotor and put an additional spacer on the main rotor shaft (The new rotors came with spacers and tubing so I cut one of them to take up the available space).

This thing is a blast to fly and scares the cat to no end . My son home from college now wants one for christmas so I'll probably be calling QVC soon and ordering another (or 2) so we can play during the holidays.

Merry Christmas everybody and good flying!
Half Fast is offline Find More Posts by Half Fast
Old Dec 17, 2004, 01:22 PM
United States, MI, Rochester Hills
Joined Oct 2000
947 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tres Wright
During one flight I lifted off with the trim centered. About a minute in it started pulling to the right (clockwise), so I put some left trim in. Right away it started pulling even harder to the right, so I put full left trim in. About 10 seconds later it starts spinning, and even with full left stick it is still spinning hard to the right. I let off the throttle, then when it gets close to the ground I throttle back up (no landing) and it starts spinning the other way (counterclockwise)! I put the trim back to the center and it flies fine. Then about a minute later, it starts spinning to the right and eventually requires full left trim to hold a hover.

Some flights it doesn't do it at all.
Sounds like the power output from one or both motors is a little variable. It doesn't take much to cause a serious yaw since there isn't a gyro. As the motors age, it is quite likely that the brush to comm interface gets a bit dicey and the power can change a bit.

I wonder what the magnets are made of and if they get anywhere near their Curie point (where the magnetic properties vanish) in operation. The Curie point for ferrite is very high but as I recall some ofg the other popular high power magnet materials don't have anywhere near as much safety margin. A magnet approaching the Curie point could easily explain trim shifts too.
pgoelz is offline Find More Posts by pgoelz
Closed Thread