SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Closed Thread
Old Nov 04, 2004, 05:25 PM
Full Throttle and No Regrets!
Denville, New Jersey
Joined Jun 2004
614 Posts
got mine to work again guys....back in the air.....for those of you who ordered the gold mine motors all you have to do is separate the black cap taht contains the brushes from the goldmine motors and epoxy that black cap onto the stock motor can and walla new brushes for your bladerunner N20 motors.....youre welcome and this will be good for now cause its like 75 cents a motor cheap fix....
MeBluEyz99 is offline Find More Posts by MeBluEyz99
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 04, 2004, 05:59 PM
Honey,just one more thing
Rensselaer,IN
Joined Jan 2003
3,098 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeBluEyz99
got mine to work again guys....back in the air.....for those of you who ordered the gold mine motors all you have to do is separate the black cap taht contains the brushes from the goldmine motors and epoxy that black cap onto the stock motor can and walla new brushes for your bladerunner N20 motors.....youre welcome and this will be good for now cause its like 75 cents a motor cheap fix....
Glad to hear your back in the air Bud
spudandretti is offline Find More Posts by spudandretti
Old Nov 04, 2004, 06:47 PM
To many projects
USA, AZ, Litchfield Park
Joined Aug 2004
1,055 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeBluEyz99

He shoots,,, he scores,, problem solved,, thx. I was holding back on doing a lot of flights until the problem was solved.

I had a experienced heli pilot fly it today and had was amazed at the stability.
66tbird is offline Find More Posts by 66tbird
Old Nov 04, 2004, 07:08 PM
Maryland, USA
Joined May 2004
2,641 Posts
MeBluEyz99,

Good work. Does that motor have carbon brushes? Is this the motor?
Mabuchi FF-N20PN Mini Motor
http://www.goldmine-elec-products.co...em=45&mitem=57

brucie1dog,

If you BR flies backwards, then its tail heavy. Just add weight up front.
Kwok_Yu is offline Find More Posts by Kwok_Yu
Old Nov 04, 2004, 07:39 PM
My member is not
Melbourne City Hlpt, Australia
Joined Jun 2004
759 Posts
Hi All,
Kwok Yu,
Its a "precious metal brush". http://www.mabuchi-motor.co.jp/engli...uct/index.html and http://www.mabuchi-motor.co.jp/cgi-b..._ID=ff_n20papn .
I would say a bit better than the normal brush but not as good as carbon brush.

BTW HeliHobby has the BladeRunner now for $99.99 here http://www.helihobby.com/html/rc_helicopter_toys.html . Price may not be great but they do ship worlwide.

Cheers
Zlatko is offline Find More Posts by Zlatko
Old Nov 04, 2004, 10:09 PM
Houston TX. (Friendswood actually)
Joined Jul 2004
301 Posts
Has anyone had trouble with thier BR's tail rotor not having enough affect on pitch? I can hardly move forward and barely move backward at all. I have done the cat killer mod & taken the body completely off. I moved the battery forward to balance it and am fairly certain I have it balance correctly. I've only had about 3 flights so far so perhaps the tail rotor motor will seat it's brushes and respond better soon.

Steve-S

Edit:
The tail rotor seems to be gradually gaining in effectiveness. I've also moved the battery slightly forward and it flies forward better now. It still likes to spin slowly and this seems to get worse as I change throttle settings. It doesn't seem like the motors are staying in unison when adjusting throttle. My cat has so far only run from it when it passes overhead. I wish I had a video of her inspecting the tail rotor while I ran it w/o the mains going. She took about 6 tentative swipes below & above it but none closer than 2-3". Then she just walked away and stared at it. I can tell though that if that tail rotor isn't spinning it's dead meat. I have to store it on top of a cabinet that she can't get to when not in use. I have my 2 extra batteries & the stock battery & BR modified for removable batteries. I'm using Deans Micro connectors. Are there lighter alternatives? I think I need to get lighter wire also. IIRC the stock battery is 8g and the kokam 340's with wire & connector are 11g (might be 7 & 10 but there is a diff of 3 grams). Kokams are charging now, well, one is.
Steve-S63 is offline Find More Posts by Steve-S63
Last edited by Steve-S63; Nov 05, 2004 at 05:08 AM. Reason: Adding info & a picture.
Old Nov 05, 2004, 02:45 AM
Hals und Beinbruch !!!!
Joined Aug 2002
730 Posts
flying eggbeaters are cool!!

Hello gang, I picked mine up at a Canadian Radio Shack this week. Here are my observations and questions. Wires are inside the tail boom but i am unsure how to tell if i have the upgraded bat. My tail rotor is angled to the left a little, i assume it should be horizontal? Is it a good idea to put some lithium grease or white grease on the gears? I am also only getting a minute or less of flight. I think i read somewhere what the ideal rpm of the rotors should be, if anyone remembers or knows the thread number i would be grateful. I was wondering if the short endurance problems might be caused by to high of pitch and undue strain on the motors. Its hard to tell but mine looks to have more than 22 to 18 degree pitch. I am thinking about trying some sort of crude heat sink on the motors (perhaps folding some cigarette foil like and accordion and attaching with heat sink paste). I haven't seen any mention of using the Thunder Power cell in a while? All for tonight, all in all a very impressive item ( my father and i flew the ITC b2 as well, these guys bring great flying models to the masses!!) LH
lw_hughes is offline Find More Posts by lw_hughes
Old Nov 05, 2004, 07:32 AM
Russellton, PA
Joined Oct 2002
1,021 Posts
Hi LH,

I will be attending the JR indoor festival tomorrow in Columbus Ohio. I will be picking up my single Thunder Power 480 MAH LI-PO's there. A buddy is bringing them for me. I've been testing TP cells for over 2 years now. I will also have my BR there for display as well as flying demos with it and the other e-helis I fly too.

From what I've heard the single TP cells will not be sold this way but a 2S 480 pack can be bought soon and the cells can be seperated and used. I have no idea on the price yet.

My big concern is with the extra MAH these TP cells will deliver we could really do some damage to the main motors. 4 to 5 mins flights should be kept to the max. I'd think 25 mins of flying may be got with these TP cells over all per a single charge. This single cell weights the same as the Kokam cell many are using today in the BR but it will have more MAH and the same if not better C rating.

At this point I'm having soo much fun with the BR that I hate to even mess with it but I know the long term will be better. <G>

Glad you are enjoying your BR!

Ron Osinski
aka - GMRO
GMRO is offline Find More Posts by GMRO
Old Nov 05, 2004, 07:59 AM
heli addict
Ohio
Joined Nov 2003
3,673 Posts
For what it's worth, I ordered one from QVC on Sunday 10/31/04. The picture showed a black one with a little different styled body...the silver window was oval and the remote was black. So, since Petter said that they were continuely updating the design I thought that this could be an updated version. I received it yesterday and it was the same older version that I have....0704 on the box. I opened it up and it was indeed the older version. I also ordered the "new version" on Tuesday...couldn't pass up the price... so this one is going back.

Also, when charging the stock battery it seems to make a difference in the sequence that everything is plugged in. It may be my imagination, but if you plug the charger into the remote, plug the charger into the wall socket, then plug the remote into the bladerunner, it seems to recharge more efficently. Again...this may be just my imagination. I am getting around 4 - 6 minutes per charge on the stock battery with "bug" and "cat killer" mod.

Thanks MeBluEyz99 for that motor info. Would it be possible to show some pics to the motor can swap?

Joe
humveeflyer is offline Find More Posts by humveeflyer
Old Nov 05, 2004, 08:50 AM
Syracuse NY
Joined Dec 2002
105 Posts
RE: flying eggbeaters are cool!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lw_hughes
1) i am unsure how to tell if i hav
e the upgraded bat.

2) Is it a good idea to put some lithium grease or white grease on the gears?

3) I am thinking about trying some sort of crude heat sink on the motors (perhaps folding some cigarette foil like and accordion and attaching with heat sink paste). LH
1) Mostly by weight. The newer batt is lighter. If your out of the box weight is 50grams you have the new battery. If it is 52-53grams you have the early battery. If you take the body off the markings on the battery are different.

2) I am on the same quest. Help from those of us who know lubricants would be good here. Both shaft and gear lubs, if they even differ.

3) Same quest here too. A pair of aluminum Heat Sink (HS) I tried added a gram. Too heavy. I tried attaching them with HS goop. It got thin as the temp rose. My 1/2g heat sinks slid off the motors. I was figuring CA glue or tieing them on with Spider Wire Braid would be necessary.

Gum foil is very light. I am interested in your result.

I am currently trying black paint and magic markers to up the IR radiation cooling. Not optomistic.

Later, Mitch
msburko is offline Find More Posts by msburko
Old Nov 05, 2004, 09:40 AM
Full Throttle and No Regrets!
Denville, New Jersey
Joined Jun 2004
614 Posts
Sorry guys that I didn't take some pics of the motor issue I combated last night, that was very greedy on my part.....this is all about sharing important information....I will detail it instead right here and when the next motor goes I will picture every action for you guys....it is very simple to do....

STEP 1
-Must have motors to do the brush swap. I used these motors and bought a few for spare brushes......here is the link...

http://www.goldmine-elec-products.co...item=3&mitem=3

STEP 2
-Carefully remove the motor from the BR which has failed you and has brought about great sadness in the hobby you love most....shed two tears and struggle forward..... Also remember the orientation of the stock motor can by using the number markings on the side of the motor can so you can place it back correctly. You may have to remove gears and rotors as well as other small parts to make the screws accesible that hold the motor to the BR frame.

STEP 3
-Please note the polarity markings on the stock motor can and the replacement motor can. Very important use markings like (-) Negative (+) Positive. Take very detailed pictures of the wires and motors and markings before dissassembly so you know how everything goes back together.

STEP 4
-Separate the black plastic end caps off of both motor cans which contain the brushes and remember not to mix them up. To remove the black plastic caps you may need to use small needle type tools (soldering tools) or even jewelers screwdrivers, but be carefull not to break your tools.

STEP 5
-Take the black plastic cap (the good new brushes) and apply very small amounts (SMALL AMOUNTS NOT TWO GALLONS) of 2 part epoxy on the inner sleve of the new cap that contains the new brushes for your stock motor can.

STEP 6
-Now this is very tricky and dangerous and may involve the use of safety equipment, please give time for the epoxy to heal.

STEP 7
-Solder the motor leads back to the stock motor can making sure the proper polarity has been observed and put your BR back together slowly and carefully, with great caution because it is toy quality it may be fragile.

****I am not resposible for any damages, this fix worked excellent for me but you are on your own when completing this task. This is simply an alternative way to fix your stock motor brushes.****
MeBluEyz99 is offline Find More Posts by MeBluEyz99
Last edited by MeBluEyz99; Nov 05, 2004 at 09:47 AM.
Old Nov 05, 2004, 09:53 AM
heli addict
Ohio
Joined Nov 2003
3,673 Posts
Thank you very much!
humveeflyer is offline Find More Posts by humveeflyer
Old Nov 05, 2004, 10:48 AM
To many projects
USA, AZ, Litchfield Park
Joined Aug 2004
1,055 Posts
(SMALL AMOUNTS NOT TWO GALLONS

hehe brings back such fond memories
66tbird is offline Find More Posts by 66tbird
Old Nov 05, 2004, 11:18 AM
Daddy plane go boom!
Abbotsford, BC
Joined Nov 2003
133 Posts
Hi MeBlueEyz99,

Were the brushes on the goldmine motors carbon?

Thanks

Now all I gotta do is find a Canadian source for those. The Canadian customs is really holding up shipments from the US these days.
rooster is offline Find More Posts by rooster
Old Nov 05, 2004, 12:56 PM
Minneapolis Mn
Joined Jan 2003
897 Posts
I've got 8 of the Goldmine motors also, replaced 2, & now my Heli won't fly (but it sure tries)... I'm going to try the mod above to just replace the brushes... but....

Where can I in the futute buy the correct/best motors?

Thanks!
Jim
jimklein is online now Find More Posts by jimklein
Closed Thread