HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 20, 2002, 05:52 PM
Mad Scientist
South west, Va
Joined Nov 2001
385 Posts
Hey guys, new to heli's and would like some info =)

Hey I have allways been interested in RC heli's but have had either been short on money or high in debt LOL Well the debt is comming down, (Dr's and school get expensive LOL) and i want to try to get into helicopters. I want something small and electric that i can fly around my house, I allready have some Rc stuff, alot of 7 cell AAA nimh packs and a few 8 cells. So i would like to reuse these if any of the heli's could use them. I plan on getting into this slow, probably get the radio then the heli later, What do you guys recommend as far as a tiny copter and radio?

thanks
Jay
jayboy is offline Find More Posts by jayboy
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 20, 2002, 05:59 PM
Our Daddy and Heli Junkie
In Heli Wonderland
Joined Aug 1999
22,799 Posts
Check out the MS Hornet.

What radio do you have now?
Fred Bronk is offline Find More Posts by Fred Bronk
Old Feb 20, 2002, 06:07 PM
Mad Scientist
South west, Va
Joined Nov 2001
385 Posts
Thanks Fred Bronk,
I have a Skyport 4 and just the basic, GWS rec and pico servos, typical slowfly stuff =)

You have actually replied to a few of my threads over in the plane forums. I really appreciate the help you have given me so far =)
Old Feb 20, 2002, 06:18 PM
toledo, oh, usa
Joined Nov 1999
1,403 Posts
Hi,

Looking at what you have, your best beat is the piccolo. Most everything everyone here will mention is a fine choice....but you want something you can fly inside, be cheaper, be durable, and based on what you have, your all set for the piccolo.

I fly both an eco and piccolo, and love them both but lately, living in the midwest, I get much more flying time in on the piccolo. With 8 nimh, it will fly for at least 8 min, many are getting much longer times too. The piccolo is also VERY durable (more so than the hornet) ive flown it into walls and all it usually needs is readjustment, or to CA something back on......

The piccolo is very upgradable too.......if you eventually want more performance you can get the upgrade kit to CP, which will give you the ability to fly in a mild breeze outside.

As for spare parts, ikarus is opening a distributing center in the US in the spring.....everything you need will be easily obtainable.....

Good luck and check out the ikarus BB at

http://www.ikarus-modellbau.de/cgi-f...=10&LastLogin=

Scott
foss1997 is offline Find More Posts by foss1997
Old Feb 20, 2002, 06:28 PM
United States, CA, Mission Viejo
Joined Jun 2001
244 Posts
jayboy,

You are going to get a lot of responses and opinions. Do your homework and search the forums for information on all the Micro-helis and larger helis.

I started with the Hornet and love it still. I have a 2nd on the way.

Some people like the Piccolo, and some the Hornet. I chose the Hornet because of the equipment needed to fly the heli. I didn't like the idea of a pico board and a motor driven tail. None of the larger RC heli's have this.

The Hornet has proven to be very tough for me and many other first time flyers.

Look around and check out what people have to say.

I can't get Ikarus parts for my Eco8 to save my life. I ordered them, but they are taking forever to come in.

SeanB

P.S. I have the following:

Eco8
Hornet flybarless now started as a Fixed Pitch
Housefly (avoid this as a starter heli)
Hornet with Collective Pitch Upgrade on the way
RD6000 Super Radio (I love this radio-great price)
SeanB is offline Find More Posts by SeanB
Last edited by SeanB; Feb 20, 2002 at 06:33 PM.
Old Feb 20, 2002, 06:31 PM
Mad Scientist
South west, Va
Joined Nov 2001
385 Posts
thanks guys, the little picolo looks like a good one. How much would it take for me to get one in the air, considering i have some of the gear and batteries? Money is allways a big concern =(

thanks
Jay
Old Feb 20, 2002, 09:14 PM
TeamTP,Minicopter,Spartan
Mississippi 31 years , Now Kotzebue , Alaska 12
Joined Apr 2001
7,454 Posts
SeanB

Isnt wrong about the hornet , and yes you will need a heli radio for the hornet, so if it was I , and I had a tight budget, just get a loan and get a heli that is a small clone of the big ones , its the only micro heli based of the bigger helis , its got a driveshaft to the tail and full collective to the tail and not some little motor with a fixed pitch prop that needs another speedcontroller which means more maintanence or something else to change , and plus , I never seen a electric or gas motor on the back end of my shuttle , "to me It just dont seam right " and this is just me "Tony" speaking , you might be different and like the piccollo , and I can vouch about the hornets tuffness, 1 nose dive doing about 20 and 1 endo doing about 5mph , total cost , about 10 bucks for a bent shaft , and my pride , but that was due to trying a small 010 brushless motor that wasnt big enough , Tony
misskimo is offline Find More Posts by misskimo
Old Feb 20, 2002, 10:57 PM
toledo, oh, usa
Joined Nov 1999
1,403 Posts
If you are on the tightest of all budgets....wait till the piccolo fun comes out.....its a cheaper version of the piccolo.....should be out within the next few months......

more on the pic. even though it is not like the conventional ones, it still flys like them (as well as a FP heli can!).....the only thing you would be missing is experience on setting up a larger, more complicated heli...but most beginners dont want that anyway!

Good luck!

Scott
foss1997 is offline Find More Posts by foss1997
Old Feb 20, 2002, 11:48 PM
United States, FL, West Palm Beach
Joined Jun 2001
2,215 Posts
Hello

Ikarus is comming to the US in Fort Myers, Florida. You should have no more trouble getting Ikarus parts. Infact, it should be really easy to get parts and at abundance when the new factory opens in March.

Carlo
Eco8gator is offline Find More Posts by Eco8gator