SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Nov 02, 2004, 12:36 PM
Valid8r
Boston and Belgium
Joined Jul 2004
943 Posts
Max throw - control horns and servo arms

I've sat here looking at and thinking about this question and just want to confirm my theory (plane is not in front of me).

Question: If I want the maximum control surface deflection with a servo movement which holes do I use on my horns and my arms (don't play with the words guys, that would be to easy!).

Answer: For the horns, use the 'inner most' holes (the ones closest to the control surface. For the servo arms, use the outer (furthest from the servo) holes.

True or false?

Jon
Valid8r is offline Find More Posts by Valid8r
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 02, 2004, 12:49 PM
characters welcome!
United States, CA, Bear Valley Springs
Joined Feb 2000
26,508 Posts
True.

mw
Mark Wood is offline Find More Posts by Mark Wood
Old Nov 02, 2004, 03:11 PM
Cincinnati Cin N.Knty, Ohio, United States
Joined Sep 2004
1,037 Posts
You about ready to maiden that smoothe jon?
chris8105 is offline Find More Posts by chris8105
Old Nov 02, 2004, 04:50 PM
Valid8r
Boston and Belgium
Joined Jul 2004
943 Posts
Hey Chris - no, not yet. I've only been able to get a few minutes in each day to work on it. I did get the wing taped and am pleased with the results. What did you do with the ailerons by the way? Did you paint them, tape them or leave them unpainted? And the Fuse?

I'm not too far from getting it done, but it doesn't look like it will happen even by this weekend.

How's your flying been? Any good stories?

Jon
Valid8r is offline Find More Posts by Valid8r
Old Nov 02, 2004, 06:59 PM
Cincinnati Cin N.Knty, Ohio, United States
Joined Sep 2004
1,037 Posts
I painted the fuse and the ailerons, if you paint the ailerons you will probably have to get some 3M spray adhesive and spray the ailerons so the tape will stick to them. Thats what I had to do atleast, the tape didnt want to stick to the paint, I had to do the rudder and elevator as well.
chris8105 is offline Find More Posts by chris8105
Old Nov 02, 2004, 11:02 PM
just another $$$ hobby
Rustburg, Virginia, United States
Joined Aug 2004
1,033 Posts
hey thanks for this thread i was confused about it...i was thinking both to the inner holes but i will change my control horns to the inner holes(holes closest to rudder/elevator/ailerons) and move my servo horns to the outer ones.
radcast2 is offline Find More Posts by radcast2
Old Nov 02, 2004, 11:48 PM
Champaign. Illinois
Joined Jun 2003
761 Posts
Just remember if you put the control rod on the innermost hole on the horn and the outermost hole on the servo, you lose some mechanical advantage and the surface is harder to center and will be more prone to flutter.

I try to put the control rod on the outermost servo arm hole and the middle to outer horn and try to make the distance fron the servo center to the outer hole the same as the distance from the hingeline to the horn hole.

Most servos will have about 60 degrees of throw either way with the ATVs on your radio turned up as high as it will go.

This is what I do, but to get the most surface travel the outermost servo arm hole and innermost control horn hole is correct.

Matt
Mattfly is offline Find More Posts by Mattfly
Site Sponsor