HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 01, 2004, 04:40 PM
too many ideas
maryland
Joined Nov 2004
38 Posts
Yippee!
Anyone know how to make a simple infrared reciever and transmitter?

i was thinking about using ir to control a tiny plane indoors. im wondering if anyone knows how to make a simple one? i saw the one on reynolds.com (i think reynolds is spelled wrong) but it was complicated using a microcontroller. if any knows how to make a simple ir controller (even just 1 channel!!!!!) that would be great.
curious is offline Find More Posts by curious
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 01, 2004, 06:41 PM
Micro Friek
Pasadena Hlpt, California, United States
Joined Aug 2004
12 Posts
This thread is a massive wealth of DIY Infrared recievers and transmitters: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=24711

The main man who contributed the most to this threa is Koichi Tanaka, a japanese member of RC groups wh has a massive japanese website devoted to DIY infrared: http://www.cityfujisawa.ne.jp/~toko/pic/

some used Babelfish to translate the site ( http://world.altavista.com/ ). I personally used SYSTRAN ( http://www.systranbox.com/systran/box ) because i found that babelfish didn't work.

Koichi Tanaka primarily uses the PIC12C509A programable chip for his gadgets so a chip programmer is required.

I have these pages bookmarked because i plan to get right into them as soon as I learn how to use programmable chips.
Cunakya is offline Find More Posts by Cunakya
Old Nov 01, 2004, 07:02 PM
too many ideas
maryland
Joined Nov 2004
38 Posts
thanks for your help
i would have never found it. thanks
Old Nov 01, 2004, 10:22 PM
Joined Oct 2004
450 Posts
Do a Google search for "40Khz IR" and you will probably find a wealth of info, particularly from robot related sites. I have seen many circuits devoted to makin g an IR receiver to use with a TV remote control. To decode the signal though probably needs a microcontroller. But there will still likely be many examples of how to do it without a micro.

Adam
adamdb is offline Find More Posts by adamdb
Old Nov 01, 2004, 11:07 PM
too many ideas
maryland
Joined Nov 2004
38 Posts
i searched for "40 Khz IR" on google and found transmitters and recievers. i dont know which goes with which. what circuit goes with another for the transmitter and reciever to work. thanks ;p
Old Nov 02, 2004, 02:44 AM
Staffs, UK
Joined Nov 2003
10,450 Posts
It depends what you're trying to control. Most simple IR circuits do not have any proportional control of anything they just control multiple ON/OFF circuits because they are developed from things like TV remotes where all the intelligence is in the device being controlled. Even volume controls just send INCREASE or DECREASE signals they don't directly control the output.

If you want to control a single servo it's fairly easy to send a single channel "PPM" signal over IR without needing a microcontroller. But as soon as you go to multiple channels using the trainer output from Tx and a microcontroller in the Rx is the easiest way to do it. You can still use the same IC decoders (4015/4017) used in older radio receivers if you prefer but you will still need some way to create the "Tx" signal.

Steve
slipstick is offline Find More Posts by slipstick
Old Nov 02, 2004, 09:00 AM
too many ideas
maryland
Joined Nov 2004
38 Posts
all i want is to be able to control one on/off funtion. this will allow me to be able to control left and right turns with, for example, on to control a motor or magnet to pull the rudder to the right, off to use a small spring or rubberband to pull it back to the left. this would be extreamely simple compared to what one can do now. thanks
Old Nov 03, 2004, 02:07 AM
Suspended Account
ni'ihau
Joined Nov 2003
3,241 Posts
There is a toy car for sale at radio shack that has one control Forwards/backwards. It uses an I/R signal to control it. It costs 10 bucks they are on sale for 5 bucks right now. I have hacked one open today. The reciever works just fine on one LiPo cell, the Range is at least 40 feet in my house. The receiver weighs just over a gram. The leads to the motor work just fine on a magnetic actuator. It will be flying a plane tommorow night.
jimbo
Eljimb0 is offline Find More Posts by Eljimb0
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Nov 03, 2004, 08:34 PM
too many ideas
maryland
Joined Nov 2004
38 Posts
thats a really good idea!! i cant believe i didnt think of that! i knew that they had those on sale at my local radio shack but didnt think about them for use in infrared planes. thanks for your ideas