HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Nov 01, 2004, 10:36 AM
www.jmquetin.com
jmquetin's Avatar
Paris - France
Joined Aug 2003
195 Posts
Futaba FC-18 teacher to FC-16 pupil problem .

I have a Futaba FC-18 (V3.2 Plus) and a FC-16 radios, both equipped with their training modul (F1505 for FC-16 and FF1558 for FC-18).

When I use the FC-16 for the teacher and the FC-18 for the pupil, everything works well.

When I use the FC-18 for teacher and FC-16 for pupil, the controls from the FC-18 (teacher) are fine but the controls from the FC-16 (pupil) are reverse on all channels !

Any clue would be very much appreciated.

Jean-Michel.
jmquetin is offline Find More Posts by jmquetin
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 01, 2004, 12:27 PM
smoking a buddy box
olivier2's Avatar
Brussels
Joined Nov 2002
419 Posts
Hi, J.M.

With the FC18V3.1 or V3.2 used as master, the slave transmitter must have all settings of programming to normal. Why? Because the FC18V3.1 and V3.2 is taking care of all the settings.
For example : channel 1 (ailerons) must be programmed in reverse on the FC18. When you fly only with the FC16, channel 1 must also be reversed (same programming). When you connect the FC16 as slave to the FC18V3.1 or V3.2, channel 1 of the FC16 (which is reversed) will be reversed by the FC18 (because that master TX will take care of all settings).
Hope my explanation is clear.
On one hand, having a master transmitter which take all setting of slave transmitter for his own account is very easy. You can learn to fly a heli with a simple 4-channel non-programable slave-TX.
On the other hand, it can be dangerous like in your situation : you will now change the settings on the slave TX to be used in connection with the FC18V3.1 or V3.2 as master, but when the pupil will fly on his own, DO NOT FORGET to change first the programming again of the FC16 !!!!
Olivier
http://users.belgacom.net/TX2TX : buddy box compatibility problems between different brands of RC-transmitters (écolage double commande et problèmes de compatibilité entre différentes marques d'émetteurs).
olivier2 is offline Find More Posts by olivier2
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 01, 2004, 01:03 PM
www.jmquetin.com
jmquetin's Avatar
Paris - France
Joined Aug 2003
195 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by olivier2
...Hope my explanation is clear.
On one hand, having a master transmitter which take all setting of slave transmitter for his own account is very easy. You can learn to fly a heli with a simple 4-channel non-programable slave-TX. On the other hand, it can be dangerous like in your situation : you will now change the settings on the slave TX to be used in connection with the FC18V3.1 or V3.2 as master, but when the pupil will fly on his own, DO NOT FORGET to change first the programming again of the FC16 !!!!...
Olivier,
That is very clear and it is exactly what is happening but I must admit I do not understand why Futaba do it like that ! I see that as a big disadvantage and the user manuel is not clear either. Where did you get this info from ?

Thanks for your quick reply and congratulation for your excellent TX2TX page (which I read before posting when I was searching the Web to get info on my problem). I was wondering if it was possible to make a special adapter to overcome this problem. From your explanation, I do not think so unfortunately. The only way I see is to re-do the radio installation within the plane such as none reverse channel is required.

Jean-Michel.
http://jmquetin.com
jmquetin is offline Find More Posts by jmquetin
Last edited by jmquetin; Nov 01, 2004 at 04:10 PM.
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 01, 2004, 01:22 PM
www.jmquetin.com
jmquetin's Avatar
Paris - France
Joined Aug 2003
195 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmquetin
...The only way I see is to re-do the radio installation within the plane such as none reverse channel is required ...
I am having a second thought !
If I create a model in the FC-16 memory called for example "Pupil" with all settings set to normal (and no mixer I suppose), I could then use that memory for pupil's training on all models I have in the Campack of my FC-18, whatever the models are (even with elevons, V-tail and so on...). It would be great.

I will go and see if it works right now !

Jean-Michel.
jmquetin is offline Find More Posts by jmquetin
Last edited by jmquetin; Nov 01, 2004 at 04:12 PM.
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 02, 2004, 04:38 AM
smoking a buddy box
olivier2's Avatar
Brussels
Joined Nov 2002
419 Posts
Hi, J.M.,

You first said : "I see that as a big disadvantage ".
Then in the next message : "I am having a second thought"

So, yes, indeed, you did understand the great advantage of such a system of buddy-box setting.
I often use this function for clubmembers who wants to fly my airplane : they just use an empty memory on their TX and they plug in the buddy lead, that's all!
In some cases, it would be nice to have the possibility to unable this function like in the 9c/FF9 or 7c/FF7, but anyway, I'm still happy with my FC18V3.1.

Quote:
I am having a second thought !
If I create a model in the FC-16 memory called for example "Pupil" with all settings set to normal (and no mixer I suppose), I could then use that memory for pupil's training on all models I have in the Campack of my FC-18, whatever the models are (even with elevons, V-tail and so on...). It would be great.
I will go and see if it works right now !
It WILL work fine ! See also explanation on my website chapter 1 and on faq n° 17 on the Futaba-website : http://www.futabarc.com/faq/product-faq.html#q106

Happy landings! And watch out! In July (during my holliday) : my transmitter will illegally transmit on 35Mhz in your country...
Amicalement,
Olivier
http://users.belgacom.net/TX2TX : buddy box compatibility problems between different brands of RC-transmitters.
olivier2 is offline Find More Posts by olivier2
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 02, 2004, 06:48 AM
www.jmquetin.com
jmquetin's Avatar
Paris - France
Joined Aug 2003
195 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by olivier2
...It WILL work fine ! ...
Yes, I checked it works fine and it is great. No need to duplicate all my models on the pupil's Tx ! Again another example of a good product but with a bad user manual ! I saw the teacher Tx was taking care of all mixers but I did not know it was also the case for the reverse function.
Quote:
And watch out! In July (during my holliday) : my transmitter will illegally transmit on 35Mhz in your country...
I wish it would be legal. Due to French bureaucraty, France is the only european country where 35 Mhz is not allocated to R/C (there is not even a separate dedicated band for R/C aircraft in France). Bureaucraty is always good to speak about safety and european rules but very bad at taking effective actions ...

Bon séjour en France.
Amicalement.

J.M.
http://jmquetin.com
jmquetin is offline Find More Posts by jmquetin
Last edited by jmquetin; Nov 02, 2004 at 11:34 AM.
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Looking for Robbe Futaba FC-18 manual Theuns Electric Plane Talk 4 Dec 11, 2012 08:07 PM
radio FC 18 FUTABA tibofo Radios 1 Dec 11, 2012 07:29 AM
Futaba FC-16 range problem. extreme Radios 7 Sep 14, 2005 08:33 AM
FC 18 ver 3 setup for Aerofly ? TBS Simulators 0 Mar 18, 2005 02:03 PM
Programing FC-18 v3.2 transmiter sebastjan_d Radios 0 Mar 25, 2004 04:48 AM