HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 01, 2004, 10:20 AM
Westchester County, NY, USA
Joined Jun 2000
2,443 Posts
How to convert from 4-in-1 to separates?

I decided in the long run I'll be better off going separates than fixing or replacing my Esky 4-in-1 unit. I have the Esky 3D heli and I'm wondering if it's more complicated since it has 3 servos instead of the usual 2 on the FP model. I already have a spare 4-channel GWS receiver, and a Pixie-7 ESC.
What else do I need for this conversion and how do I hook it all up.
I'm assumming I need another ESC since it has a tail motor, and a Gyro.

Thanks,
Danny
Danny Troy is offline Find More Posts by Danny Troy
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 01, 2004, 11:32 AM
"It's a Quad" :O
Temecula
Joined Jul 2004
3,179 Posts
You will need a 6 channel Rx (or a 5 if you don't use a gyro with remote gain). 2 ESCís (1 for the main 1 for the tail). An HH gyro or a new Tx with mixing capabilities or a separate mixer.
thewz is offline Find More Posts by thewz
Old Nov 01, 2004, 11:46 AM
Madison Truax Fld, Wisconsin, United States
Joined May 2004
262 Posts
http://www.helihobby.com/html/separate_electronics.html
LittleBird is offline Find More Posts by LittleBird
Old Nov 01, 2004, 02:07 PM
Joined Jun 2000
2,443 Posts
Thanks guys. That schematic at helihobby really is what I was looking for. I'll print it out for reference.

Danny
Old Nov 01, 2004, 02:30 PM
Joined Jun 2000
2,443 Posts
Ok, contacted Helihobby and they have everything I need.

One more question. Since I have the Esky with CP and the Esky included transmitter is 6-channel, shouldn't I be able to use this transmitter?
Old Nov 01, 2004, 03:20 PM
Los Angeles, CA
Joined Oct 2004
47 Posts
The schematic at helihobby is for FP heli only. Since your E-Sky 3D is CP which uses CCPM radio. It's totally different than the one on helihobby. I hope you haven't ordered anything from them yet?
Skycat is offline Find More Posts by Skycat
Old Nov 01, 2004, 03:35 PM
Madison Truax Fld, Wisconsin, United States
Joined May 2004
262 Posts
Skycat...why would the schematic be any different. Just add one more servo and a 5-6 ch recever and the rest is the same....Or am i missing something? I have a cphb and that is how mine is done. I use a 6ch recever for my 401....JP
LittleBird is offline Find More Posts by LittleBird
Old Nov 01, 2004, 04:02 PM
Joined Jun 2000
2,443 Posts
Please elaborate Skycat. I was about to order a 6-channel rx, the GWS gyro, and two ESC's. I thought that would work. I already have 3 servos on the E-sky.
Old Nov 02, 2004, 08:30 AM
Temecula
Joined Jul 2004
3,179 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny Troy
Ok, contacted Helihobby and they have everything I need.

One more question. Since I have the Esky with CP and the Esky included transmitter is 6-channel, shouldn't I be able to use this transmitter?
The Tx is already a CCPM mixer so you can use it. If it doesn't have REVO mix you will need an HH gyro or a new Tx with REVO mix and a cheap "rate" gyro.
Old Nov 02, 2004, 08:32 AM
Temecula
Joined Jul 2004
3,179 Posts
Quote:
Please elaborate Skycat. I was about to order a 6-channel rx, the GWS gyro, and two ESC's. I thought that would work. I already have 3 servos on the E-sky.
The schematic is basically the same for a CP ship...just 1 more servo.

Be sure that your Tx can do REVO mix BEFORE you order a cheap GWS gyro.
Old Nov 02, 2004, 10:39 AM
Joined Jun 2000
2,443 Posts
I wound up ordering a GWS 6-ch rx, a GWS gyro, GWS ICS-300 esc, GWS-50 esc, and a crystal to match the E-sky transmitter, and another crystal to match my 8-channel Futaba digital tx. If the E-sky doesn't work out I'll use my Futaba. I'm pretty sure the Futaba can handle the heli.

Danny
Old Nov 02, 2004, 12:39 PM
Temecula
Joined Jul 2004
3,179 Posts
Quote:
I wound up ordering a GWS 6-ch rx, a GWS gyro, GWS ICS-300 esc, GWS-50 esc, and a crystal to match the E-sky transmitter, and another crystal to match my 8-channel Futaba digital tx. If the E-sky doesn't work out I'll use my Futaba. I'm pretty sure the Futaba can handle the heli.

Danny
You will need a heli Tx if you are using the rate gyro from GWS otherwise you will have a spinning top rather than a heli.

Is the Futaba Tx an actual Heli Tx? If it isn't then it will not have the programming capabilities needed for CCPM or REVO Mix.
Old Nov 02, 2004, 01:57 PM
Melbourne Australia
Joined May 2003
5,263 Posts
Thewz...are you sure this will work ?

I "thought" the stock ESKY 3D tx was just a dumb tx and the ccpm was handled by the 4-in-1. I could be very wrong about this, but that's just what I had assumed. So if this is the case, then to go seperates you would need a proper heli capable radio for the CCPM.

The reason I ask this is that I just bought the ESKY 3D and set it up last night with seperates. It takes a lot of mucking around with servo trims, CCPM, mix percentages...etc (even with a HH Gyro) and I didn't think the stock TX could do this. Once again..just my assumption, not based on any real experience with the stock tx.

Anyway.....just curious if you knew for sure.

And Danny, it might be worth asking J-Ken or posting a question in one of the ESKY threads if this is possible. I haven't heard of it being done yet, which doesn't mean it can't be done of course...just want you to be sure before spending big $$.
OzzieFlyer is offline Find More Posts by OzzieFlyer
Old Nov 02, 2004, 02:11 PM
Joined Jun 2000
2,443 Posts
I have the Futaba 8UAF. On page 72 of the manual they describe the "revo mix" operation. There's three settings: Normal, Idle-up1 and Idle-up2.
Here's a couple of links to Futaba's site describing this tx:

http://www.futaba-rc.com/discontinued/futj80.html
http://www.futaba-rc.com/manuals/notes-8u.html

The E-sky looks to me like a standard 4-channel tx, although it says 6 channel on the face, so there must be internal mixing or where would the other two channels be on the tx. That's my guess anyway.
Old Nov 02, 2004, 02:33 PM
Los Angeles, CA
Joined Oct 2004
47 Posts
I thought the ccpm mixing was done by the 4-in-1 box? Can anyone confirm that it's done by the Tx?
Skycat is offline Find More Posts by Skycat